Martinez Sets Husker Freshman Passing Record

Mavric

1 minute ago, KingBlank said:

Also had another massive turnover

Yes we should but most people won't see it like that.  

Or people like you only like to focus on the negatives with the kid.  He's trying to do a lot by himself out there.  If you expected him to play like a stud QB his true frosh year, then I don't know how to deal with guys like you.

• Plus1 3

13 minutes ago, TheMeanFarmer said:

Do we temper this at all with the fact that Wisconsin played most of the 2nd half with their DL in contain mode?

They were working only to keep AM in the pocket and throwing the ball, not escaping containment.

And he threw 3 intercept-able balls.

Here's the thing with your first comments. You have to see this as a the glass being half full - we finally have a mobile quarterback that is actually dual threat. He's an actual threat when he's throwing and running, not just when he's running. 

Contrast that to Taylor and Tommy. They'd get the hell blitzed out of them and didn't have the composure to hang in there, step up into the pocket, and make a throw. 

So for the first time in eight cumulative seasons with mobile quarterbacks that were actually more like "single threat" quarterbacks we finally have a really good one where a good play caller like Frost can put together a game plan against a team. Combine that with the fact that our offensive line is constantly hamstringing games with penalties. If you take those penalties out that killed multiple drives it was probably worth another seven points on the board, which gets us to 35. Our defense was terrible (unsurprisingly) for the umpteenth time in B1G play and lost the game.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Martinez has a skittish side to him, which is completely expected given he sat out his entire senior year and is a true freshman. Given enough time, he had some perfect throws. He also had that fumble and 3 or 4 throws that should have been interceptions. His development in this offense will make or break us next year and moving forward. 

8 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Lets be realistic...he's okay but a work in progress.  Think about it...we started a QB true freshman today who had only gotten two actual game snaps in his career against a top 25 team and he went off for 318 yards with four TDs and 84 yards rushing and another TD...and he might not even be starting next week.  Same thing happened last year when our walk on 3rd string QB got stuffed into a playing situation and proceeded to run off wins against three top 25 teams and a trip to a bowl.  

My point?  Life's a crapshoot...and they still have Hamms beer in little town bars....and Iowa is full of little towns.

Listen, as nicely as I can I will ask that you let us have something nice around here. The kid looks great to our eyes. For 15 years we’ve watched Sr’s with far worse field presence and decision making abilities throwing off thier heels into triple coverage. We’ve talked ourselves into bing ok with that because they are good runners, or they can avoid sacks well, or they are “fighters” that never give up.  This kid can actually do it all. He reads defenses, he waits in the pocket, he can make all of the passes, he can avoid the rush and he can run too!  For the first time EVER we feel we have a legitimate QB that has very few shortcomings, as opposed to making do with an athlete who chucks balls around sometimes. The kid represents the last sliver of hope for our program. He’s better than “okay” already, and he’s got 3.5 years to improve. I know you’re bi-team somehow, which is fine, but there’s a time and a place to try to talk sense into us, and it’s not here in a thread about how good our true frosh

QB looks. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, TheMeanFarmer said:

Do we temper this at all with the fact that Wisconsin played most of the 2nd half with their DL in contain mode?

They were working only to keep AM in the pocket and throwing the ball, not escaping containment.

And he threw 3 intercept-able balls.

I think we're collectively thinking ?hoping? those are just typical freshman mistakes.  True freshmen, especially at QB, tend to take awhile to learn that defenses are substantially faster in college than they are in high school.  You see it with Martinez still that he thinks he can make a big play all the time.  For example, when rolls out, he still has a tendency to throw the ball back to the middle of the field--which is a huge no-no.  He's been lucky thus far that none of those passes have been picked off.  

So, in one game, Martinez breaks a freshman passing record and Spielman breaks a receiving record yet we lose the game 41-24. At what point does this start getting through to our defense and start sinking in our defense assistant coach that they are the reason we are losing football games. Do they realize that they are letting the team down and more importantly their teammates who are playing lights out? They talk about accountability but action is needed and not words. Talk is cheap.

5 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

So, in one game, Martinez breaks a freshman passing record and Spielman breaks a receiving record yet we lose the game 41-24. At what point does this start getting through to our defense and start sinking in our defense assistant coach that they are the reason we are losing football games. Do they realize that they are letting the team down and more importantly their teammates who are playing lights out? They talk about accountability but action is needed and not words. Talk is cheap.

How (specifically) do you think Chinander should be held accountable?

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

We didn't break a record for points though did we? Racking up the passing yards doesn't mean much when it comes to winning football games.

33 minutes ago, TheSker said:

How (specifically) do you think Chinander should be held accountable?

For real, I get why people might have some questions, UCF's defense wasn't always pretty at UCF for various reasons.  But they get 3 years to prove that it really is just a jimmy/joe thing.  Talk is cheap for sure, but I've yet to see anything actually wrong with the scheme, just players that have been running the wrong way for years still lapsing into bad habits.

18 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

For real, I get why people might have some questions, UCF's defense wasn't always pretty at UCF for various reasons.  But they get 3 years to prove that it really is just a jimmy/joe thing.  Talk is cheap for sure, but I've yet to see anything actually wrong with the scheme, just players that have been running the wrong way for years still lapsing into bad habits.

In addition this type of offense puts extreme stress on a defense if they cant score only tossing up three points while the defense gets pounded on non-stop but keeps Wisconsin to 6 points was a set up for the mess it turned into. Had the offense done its part I would like to have seen Wisconsin play from behind against a defense that got some breaks.  That said the defense should have helped its self by winning an third down and getting off the field.  The third down blues are just a perplexing as the teams penalty problem.  Just to stay on topic I cant wait to see Martinez keep growing as a QB.

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

Im pretty sure they know. 

24 minutes ago, mnhusker said:

In addition this type of offense puts extreme stress on a defense if they cant score only tossing up three points while the defense gets pounded on non-stop but keeps Wisconsin to 6 points was a set up for the mess it turned into. Had the offense done its part I would like to have seen Wisconsin play from behind against a defense that got some breaks.  That said the defense should have helped its self by winning an third down and getting off the field.  The third down blues are just a perplexing as the teams penalty problem.  Just to stay on topic I cant wait to see Martinez keep growing as a QB.

If our offensive philosophy were the problem, the defence would play well at the beginning and wear out as the game goes. 

Our defense is struggling from from the first snap.