Well hello there Justice Kavanaugh

44 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I don't know if this will ease any tension or not but Kav has hired a fully female law clerk team. 

http://theweek.com/speedreads/800702/brett-kavanaugh-just-hired-supreme-courts-first-allwomen-law-clerk-team

The newly confirmed Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh has already fulfilled one of his promises.

After weeks of contentious hearings, the Senate voted to confirm the polarizing nominee Saturday evening. And Kavanaugh was already on the job Sunday morning with the court's first-ever all-women team of law clerks by his side, The New York Times reports.

Even before sexual assault allegations rocked his confirmation process, concerns swirled around Kavanaugh's stance on women's right. Specifically, Democratic senators feared he would provide the court with a conservative majority that could facilitate the rolling back of Roe v. Wade. Kavanaugh tried to counter those concerns at his first round of confirmation hearings, touting how "no federal judge ... has sent more women law clerks to clerk on the Supreme Court than I have." He also said he had four female law clerks ready to work for him "on a moment's notice," which would make him "the first justice in the history of the Supreme Court to have a group of all-women law clerks."

That could be viewed as incredibly admirable. Or incredibly creepy.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I regularly criticize Trump...as I did recently when he mocked Ford.

Could you point out that one time where you criticized Trump, because it's being lost among the times you mocked Ford by: opining that her memories were "reconstructed in therapy," stating that she has "some obvious issues," claimed Ford's witnesses "all but said she's nuts," called Ford's allegation that she was sexually assaulted were "incredibly bizarre," among other insinuations.

• Plus1 6
29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Actually you do. I read your posts and the instincts and moral obligations I have asa teacher and educator kick in.

I’m here to help.

This is probably the most offensive thing you've posted here. It's clear to all that you aren't here to help at all - you're here to gloat, puff your chest out, and deride anyone who disagrees with your highly NON-independent ideas. If you are actually a teacher and educator and you use similar rhetoric when engaging with your students or other educators, well, that's honestly just horrifying. 

It's one thing to be combative and lack grace/humility towards certain things. I suffer from that, as well as most everyone else. But most on HB do so defending integrated/complex ideals, ideas and beliefs surrounding truth and justice. Most here aren't interested in a "side" or their tribe or in winning and losing, and are wise enough to only be on the side of reason and critical thought. You betray your self-declared intellectual superiority by buying into such an archaic lie. Most are concerned with higher things. I'd encourage you to stop caring about the lower ones. It'll set you free.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Could you point out that one time where you criticized Trump, because it's being lost among the times you mocked Ford by: opining that her memories were "reconstructed in therapy," stating that she has "some obvious issues," claimed Ford's witnesses "all but said she's nuts," called Ford's allegation that she was sexually assaulted were "incredibly bizarre," among other insinuations.

I’ve talked about that a couple of times here. I don’t believe Ford’s account is factual. But she seems sincere. So mocking the poor woman on a national stage is in bad taste. I’ve objected repeatedly to Trump being an ass to people, either in speeches or on Twitter.

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, if your alpha male role model is Ric Flair, you might go easy on the pink.

flair13.jpg

SPACE MOUNTAIN may be the oldest ride in the park, but it’s still got the longest line...

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I’ve talked about that a couple of times here. I don’t believe Ford’s account is factual. But she seems sincere. So mocking the poor woman on a national stage is in bad taste. I’ve objected repeatedly to Trump being an ass to people, either in speeches or on Twitter.

cbbZdse.png

Trump is a lot of things. He’s goofy, thin-skinned, thoughtless, kind of a buffoon, and a loose cannon. I could go on. But my point is that he’s not evil. He’s not looking to ban the press. He’s not a unique threat to civilization. You’re giving him way too much credit by imagining him to be far more substantial than he is. And you’re making yourselves look foolish by losing your minds over everything he says or does.

https://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/81576-trump-and-the-press/&page=18&tab=comments#comment-2026967

i wish Trump would stay off Twitter. But his record on there is mixed. 

https://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/81444-trumps-america/&page=71&tab=comments#comment-2024482

Here’s a couple I found with a quick search. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

You do understand that just because there was no corroboration or evidence, it doesn't make it a false accusation.  It just means it can't be proven based on lack of evidence

You do understand that the ‘victim’ and I’m throwing that out there loosely couldn’t even remember when it happened, where, what time, how she got to the party and left, her ex boyfriend came out and said that she never explained such of an event and her witnesses that she named even said that the incident never happened. You think you would remember such invites that tragically ‘scarred’ your for life. If you’re going to claim such accusations you better answer the easy answers (where, how, when, etc) and evidence to prove your case. 

My wife was a victim of an assault where her ex boyfriend picked her up and did a back suplex breaking her arm. That happened almost 10 years ago and she can answer the easy questions and prove proof and witnesses to back her claims. This was the first thing she brought up when we first started dating. 

Maybe take off the blinders dude

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

You do understand that the ‘victim’ and I’m throwing that out there loosely couldn’t even remember when it happened, where, what time, how she got to the party and left, her ex boyfriend came out and said that she never explained such of an event and her witnesses that she named even said that the incident never happened. You think you would remember such invites that tragically ‘scarred’ your for life. If you’re going to claim such accusations you better answer the easy answers (where, how, when, etc) and evidence to prove your case.

Why Sexual Assault Survivors Forget Details

5. Traumatic experiences scramble your memories: maybe you’ve misremembered what happened

Many people who have been raped or sexually assaulted often claim to have vivid memories of certain images, sounds and smells associated with the attack – even if happened decades earlier. Yet when asked to recall exactly what time of day it was, or who and what was where at any given time – the kinds of details police and prosecutors often focus on to establish the facts of a crime – they may struggle or contradict themselves, undermining their testimony.

“There is this tragic discrepancy between what is expected within the criminal justice system and the nature of trauma memories and how people are likely to be reporting them,” says Amy Hardy, a clinical psychologist at Kings College London.

This is because memories of traumatic events are laid down differently to everyday memories. Usually we encode what we see, hear, smell, taste and physically sense, as well as how that all slots together and what it means to us – and together, those different types of information together enable us to recall events as a coherent story. But during traumatic events our bodies are flooded with stress hormones. These encourage the brain to focus on the here and now, at the expense of the bigger picture.

This makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. “When we are under threat, it is much better that we focus on what we are experiencing, which triggers us into fight, flight or freeze-type responses, than to focus on the bigger meaning and making sense of it,” says Hardy. “We also know that if people dissociate during trauma – where the cognitive part of the brain shuts down and they go a bit spacey or numb – it exaggerates this fragmentation process, so their memories have an even more here-and-now-type quality.”

Hardy has examined the impact of these memory processes on survivors’ experience of reporting sexual assault to the police. She found that those who reported higher levels of dissociation during the assault perceived their memories to be more fragmented when interviewed by police and that those with greater levels of memory fragmentation were more likely to feel that they had given an incoherent account of what happened. And these factors, in turn, left them less likely to proceed with the legal case. 

• Plus1 4