Special Teams

Will ST be much improved next week? With Washington and JD returning kicks that part of the game looked much better. Only a phantom penalty took away a big play from Washington. The new punter looked to be a major improvement too. Do we win the field position battle against Northwestern? I think we do, and it will go a long way toward winning the game.

• Plus1 1

What I don’t understand was the coaches pre-season talked about wanting starters on STs to get the best athletes out there.  Unselfish guys willing to do the grunt work.  IIRC, even Tre Neal talked about how this is what UCF did.  We look completely lost on STs....

I know folks mentioned the new rugby punting style and it’s failure.  There was an article after the second punt return for a TD where the coaches said it was because he punts straight down the field.  They wanted him to angle kick to try and pin the returner against a sideline so he didn’t have the whole field to choose from.  That plan, while crappy, at least didn’t allow a TD...

Id like to see how Mo would do if he could actually get a decent return set up.  I think he has the ability to take it to the house for sure.  So far, they look as though they are being coached by Mr $450....

16 hours ago, huskerfan92 said:

Just assume that special teams will be bad the rest of the season and be surprised when they’re average 

I'm not willing to jump on this bandwagon yet.  It's a bit disappointing it took this long into the season to see changes especially at punter, but the staff is shaking things up.  We had two punts that were atrocious in the first quarter.  A change was made, and it was for the better.  Unless it was a fluke after the change, it appears we now have someone who can flip the field. 

22 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I'm not willing to jump on this bandwagon yet.  It's a bit disappointing it took this long into the season to see changes especially at punter, but the staff is shaking things up.  We had two punts that were atrocious in the first quarter.  A change was made, and it was for the better.  Unless it was a fluke after the change, it appears we now have someone who can flip the field. 

No one wants to be 0-5. No one expected that IMHO.  But what you wrote above is something that hasn't been done in years.  Pulling guys who are making mistakes.  Frost and Co are making it known that you are simply renting that spot and need to make payment every day to keep it. I think that Frost realized that it's time for the old adage "action speaks louder than words".  I'm sure a lot of guys at that level have heard the message many times throughout their careers and never saw it happen or thought "I'm to good, coach won't sit me"......