Northwestern Week Pressers

Mavric

not defending Lightbourn but if your answer to not having punts returned for touch downs is to kick it toward the sidelines you have deeper issues.  Also on returns its bothers the hell out of me that they don't block the long snapper.  He's the first guy down the field and puts pressure on the returner.  I know a lot of teams don't because they figure its the long snapper but damn.  If you aren't going to block the kick you should block everyone you have a man for.

19 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yep.  I think the coaches are looking for players to give Spielman a break at times during the game.  At least, that's my guess.  I am sure the coaches love Spielman, but they don't want to put too much on his workload.

In the presser, Frost was very complimentary of Mazour.  I think it's a combination of giving JD a break and Mazour earning some playing time.

On another note-Thoughts on JoJo Domann.  I thought he might get some playing time this year.  Haven't seen or heard anything.  

1 hour ago, lo country said:

In the presser, Frost was very complimentary of Mazour.  I think it's a combination of giving JD a break and Mazour earning some playing time.

On another note-Thoughts on JoJo Domann.  I thought he might get some playing time this year.  Haven't seen or heard anything.  

Domann played against CU, and then has been injured since then.  Looks like the guy has trouble staying healthy.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

not defending Lightbourn but if your answer to not having punts returned for touch downs is to kick it toward the sidelines you have deeper issues.  Also on returns its bothers the hell out of me that they don't block the long snapper.  He's the first guy down the field and puts pressure on the returner.  I know a lot of teams don't because they figure its the long snapper but damn.  If you aren't going to block the kick you should block everyone you have a man for.

It is not just about having punts returned. He has had a lot of bad punts in his career and inconsistent play all year. I have no issue at all with the move. Bad kick out of bounds- bad location of his punts. You need a punter to be able to kick far- locate the punt where you want it- punt farther than 10 yards- dont fall down. I am sure there is more to it than that but if you fail at the basics just sit down. Maybe Frost is thinking he can transfer and free up a scholarship so we dont waste one on a punter.

8 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I don't know the rule, but when I played high school football it was illegal to block or hit a longsnapper at the line of scrimmage. 

8 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm puzzled by this comment.  It's a common strategy in punting to place it next to the side lines.  The ball will either roll out of bounds or...if caught....the side lines acts as another defender.  The term "coffin corner" is in the "corner" for a reason.

And...as has been pointed out.....being next to the sidelines isn't the only issue he has had.

• Fire 1
20 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't know the rule, but when I played high school football it was illegal to block or hit a longsnapper at the line of scrimmage. 

Technically, you are right.  One was not allowed to block or hit the long snapper when the long snapper's head was down.  However, one was allowed to block the long snapper once his head came up and he released from the line of scrimmage.