Northwestern Week Pressers

Mavric

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Really glad to hear him verbalize this.

With Bo he would say verbatim, "Oh, I know how to fix this," referring to constantly getting blown out by the other team just running power at us. I always felt like his main roadblock to actually fixing it was his own stubbornness; it was always the players not executing as opposed to drawing up better, simpler schemes to stop the run.

If we're going to stick with a 3-4 then our lineman need to be stout. Our linebackers need to be more physical (outside of Barry's play), and our safeties need to be able to wrap up. And we have to play aggressively.

36 minutes ago, Undone said:

Really glad to hear him verbalize this.

With Bo he would say verbatim, "Oh, I know how to fix this," referring to constantly getting blown out by the other team just running power at us. I always felt like his main roadblock to actually fixing it was his own stubbornness; it was always the players not executing as opposed to drawing up better, simpler schemes to stop the run.

If we're going to stick with a 3-4 then our lineman need to be stout. Our linebackers need to be more physical (outside of Barry's play), and our safeties need to be able to wrap up. And we have to play aggressively.

There's not a lot of difference between what Frost and Pelini said.  The biggest difference is Frost is alluding to the current players not having the ability to execute.

7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

There's not a lot of difference between what Frost and Pelini said.  The biggest difference is Frost is alluding to the current players not having the ability to execute.

I should have given more context.

Pelini's defenses were awesome against the Big 12 spread teams. He occasionally matched up well against the more traditional offenses of the B1G in big games (Michigan State in 2011, Michigan a couple times), but more often than not was clobbered in the run game in big games after we got into the B1G.

I don't usually put too much stock one way or the other into what coaches say in pressers; I look for the results on the field and then determine what they're doing/no doing. But my point was that Frost recognizes that his defense isn't currently made up of the right stuff to play good defense against the power teams in this conference. "Made up of the right stuff" could encompass many things, but contrast that with Pelini who constantly insinuated that it was players not doing their job that would get us blown out.

Asking rhetorically (as Frost is five games into a long career here) at what point does a coach not retool things when what you have doesn't work? Frost realizes what he has now doesn't work against power teams. That realization seems significant.

18 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

not defending Lightbourn but if your answer to not having punts returned for touch downs is to kick it toward the sidelines you have deeper issues.  Also on returns its bothers the hell out of me that they don't block the long snapper.  He's the first guy down the field and puts pressure on the returner.  I know a lot of teams don't because they figure its the long snapper but damn.  If you aren't going to block the kick you should block everyone you have a man for.

https://youtu.be/5oZYO0FbZ_A