Chinander Defense

BIG ERN

51 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It'll be at least 2-3 years before we have a great linebackers across the board, but I think they can be solid next year. Next year ILB will be Barry and Honas with a year of experience in the defense, and a rotation of Miller, Weinmaster (also with another year of S&C and growth in the defense), and a couple really talented recruits makes me feel a lot better inside. Outside is still a question for sure, but we've got the bodies - someone just needs to step up. That being said I don't think there is a game changer at LB on the current roster, and that's what might take time.

I think Tannor can be a game changer. Give him a few years in the S&C and familiarity in the defense and I think he will be a stud come his Junior year if not sooner (which we will need). 

3 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

What would be the avg ranking for our first five opponents if they didn’t play us? Maybe the remaining opponents aren’t worried about their YPP since they know it will get a bump after playing us.:bang

Average yards per play of our first 5 opponents:  6.66

Average yards per play of our first 5 opponents without Nebraska included:  6.83

So the defense has played better on average in regards to yards per play allowed.  

Edit for those that don't want to look it up:  The defense's yards per play average is 5.96 on the year.

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, Undone said:

I posted this in another thread but just to reinforce the point, here's their big run in the fourth quarter:

image.png.25416a89d634ae5c777ecd60701199b8.png

On first down against Wisconsin it's borderline stupid to use Gifford like that. The blocking scheme goes inside, Taylor goes inside, and instead of having possibly your best form tackler there to be in a spot where can impact a run play - any run play - you line him up and use him in a way that is shown over and over to be ineffective.

Not that I count but have I ever said I hate 3 man defensive fronts.  This is the same defensive front our high school runs every single play whether we are playing a run dominate team or 4 wr sets. Cant stop any thing short and normally give up big passing plays cause the inside guys cant cover the wr's.  I am how ever a huge fan of the 4-2-5 but thats just me.

• Plus1 1

Bad habits have to be broken. That long run that the network ran over and over again of Reed trying to 'tackle' the RB head on with a forward push of his arms (and not wrapping him up) was not only embarrassing but demonstrated the very poor tackling and soft hitting habits of this team.  Reed 'hits' (use that term loosely) the RB, begins a premature celebration and then gets clobbered by blockers as the RB continues unabated for a large gain.  Perhaps someone has a video of it.  It was an embarrassment of the highest order and a reason another person should be filling his spot against NW if at all possible.   

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Bad habits have to be broken. That long run that the network ran over and over again of Reed trying to 'tackle' the RB head on with a forward push of his arms (and not wrapping him up) was not only embarrassing but demonstrated the very poor tackling and soft hitting habits of this team.  Reed 'hits' (use that term loosely) the RB, begins a premature celebration and then gets clobbered by blockers as the RB continues unabated for a large gain.  Perhaps someone has a video of it.  It was an embarrassment of the highest order and a reason another person should be filling his spot against NW if at all possible.   

Reed lost his starting spot a couple games ago so it’d need to be a 3rd stringer. 

7 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Are you talking about this long run?  If so (?) that was Bootle.

13 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

Not that I count but have I ever said I hate 3 man defensive fronts.  This is the same defensive front our high school runs every single play whether we are playing a run dominate team or 4 wr sets. Cant stop any thing short and normally give up big passing plays cause the inside guys cant cover the wr's.  I am how ever a huge fan of the 4-2-5 but thats just me.

well in that picture they are essentially in a 4-4 with a wide DE (Guifford) and Jackson acting as the 4th lb.  What they should have been doing all game especially on third down is just putting an olb right on the TE and jamming him at the line then releasing to go to the QB.  Would have got the same amount of pressure on the QB but would have slowed the TE down who was killing us on 3rd down.