Squakeyes having the time of their lives!

Redux

7 minutes ago, ICHawk24 said:

Hawkeye fans deny that Nebraska is a rival?  I thought it was the other way around.

It is "cool" nowadays to deny rivalries, but rivalries are what makes college football.  I love our rivalries, including a young one with Nebraska.  Too bad the powers that be had to create a BS trophy for the Iowa/Nebraska game.

You bet we're having a good time.  Your program is currently in the dumpster.  3 months ago, you guys were predicting a Big Ten title game appearance, and now you're 0-5.

Meanwhile, Iowa is ranked 12th in Sagarin, 19th in ESPN FPI, and generally in the teens.  Too bad we farted away the Wisky game.

Frost will have you competitive soon enough, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I've seen it both ways.  Realistically it's the closest thing we have other than strangely enough Northwestern kind of.  The trophy made it feel cheap and ultimately set it back quite a bit right out of the gate.

There weren't many here that drunk off kool aid delusional enough to think we were a playoff of even a division level competitor this year.  But yes, not many saw the 0-5 start coming either.  Most expected anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3.

If I was a squawkeye fan... good gawd what did I just type?  Let’s start over.  If I knew a squawkeye fan I’d caution them not to enjoy seeing us winless in case our only win is the last game of the season. That would be embarrassing for Iowa but that’s the funny thing about football karma.

Just now, 4skers89 said:

If I was a squawkeye fan... good gawd what did I just type?  Let’s start over.  If I knew a squawkeye fan I’d caution them not to enjoy seeing us winless in case our only win is the last game of the season. That would be embarrassing for Iowa but that’s the funny thing about football karma.

I was going to ask: What's worse, going 1-11 or losing to the team that went 1-11.

Or more likely in our case 2-10 or 3-9...

49 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I know I don't speak for everyone, but a rivalry needs to mean something.  Our old rivalry was OU because beating them meant we were more than likely playing for something big.  After OU went on probation and fell on hard times, CU became our rival as they were the team if we won meant something big.  Then, it became KState.  No offense, but beating Iowa really doesn't do anything for us.  If we're looking at young rivalries and with the way the B1G is set up, Wisconsin is our clear rival because if we beat them then it means something big like a B1G Championship appearance. 

Nebraska has not been really in the running for a West title since the West has been created.  It has only been Wisconsin and Iowa.  So I think your point is invalid that Iowa is not a big game for Nebraska.  To get to the BIG Championship, you have to go through Iowa.  However, Iowa does not have to go through Nebraska since they have been irrelevant in recent years.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Didnt yall lose to an FCS team a couple years ago?

They routinely struggle against rivals Iowa State and Northern Iowa.  Given our current temporary woes, it probably explains why they think we are now on their level.  But it's like Monopoly, we are just visiting guys.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I know I don't speak for everyone, but a rivalry needs to mean something.  Our old rivalry was OU because beating them meant we were more than likely playing for something big.  After OU went on probation and fell on hard times, CU became our rival as they were the team if we won meant something big.  Then, it became KState.  No offense, but beating Iowa really doesn't do anything for us.  If we're looking at young rivalries and with the way the B1G is set up, Wisconsin is our clear rival because if we beat them then it means something big like a B1G Championship appearance. 

And whose fault is that?