Where We Speak Less-than-Fondly of Former Coaches

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

In 2012, we were #96 in the country in yards allowed per rush at 4.76.  But if you take out the Wisconsin CCG game, it would drop to 4.17 ypc which would have been #65. 

In 2013, we were #32 in the country at 3.78.  We didn't play Wisconsin that year.

In 2014, we were #91 in the country at 4.74.  Minus Wisconsin we would have been 3.80 which would have been #33.

So one year we would have been 31 spots better minus the Wisconsin game.  The other two years we were a Top 35 rushing defense (ypc) other than when we played Wisconsin.  Not great but definitely serviceable for a defense that was designed to stop the pass first and prevent the big play.

Great stats, thanks for looking those up. And it does prove your point well that Bo was actually generally "good" against the run in general in B1G play. Probably not "great," but still good. 

If Chinander can just get us to a level of "good" with the trajectory of where our offense is heading, we could have a great team.

21 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

1 thing in defense of Pelini. He did coach in the SEC and won a natty. So I think he knew what it took to stop power running physical offenses. When he had the horses he had no trouble stopping Ohio State in the National Championship

For many of the same reasons N fans are now willing to give things time to develop, I think Banker got the short end of the stick here.  He actually showed he could shut down Wisconsin's offense with Oregon St. talent.  From first year here to the second he had N in the upper half of the conference in total defense and 3rd in INT's without an effective pass rush. 

One of the knocks against him was that his defense couldn't stop spread offenses, but his D came up with enough stops to let us come back and beat Oregon in second half.  With one year under his belt he shaved average yards allowed per game by 40 yrds and avrg points allowed by 4 which is even more impressive considering we played tOSU and Oregon in 16' and not in 15'.  People were so livid with a 9 win season and bowl loss to an SEC team someones head had to be chopped, enter the Diaco debacle.  If Bankers D showed similar improvement from year 2 to year 3, 2017 would have been an entirely different season.  I count 4-5 more potential wins in that scenario.  Instead we went from an upper half defense to the rock bottom in 2017.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Diaco had a pretty successful defense against Big Ten teams when he was at ND also.

That didn't translate well to Nebraska.

Diaco?  You are talking about that guy who was hired by the AD, not the coach who was here like 9 months, who they didn't even have time to get a full set of keys to?  The guy that never had any buy-in from the HC or any of the other coaches or players?  What do we know about him, what he could have done at NU?

That guy had about as much chance at NU as a skydiver landing in the middle of Vesuvius circa 79 AD

7 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

For many of the same reasons N fans are now willing to give things time to develop, I think Banker got the short end of the stick here.  He actually showed he could shut down Wisconsin's offense with Oregon St. talent.  From first year here to the second he had N in the upper half of the conference in total defense and 3rd in INT's without an effective pass rush. 

One of the knocks against him was that his defense couldn't stop spread offenses, but his D came up with enough stops to let us come back and beat Oregon in second half.  With one year under his belt he shaved average yards allowed per game by 40 yrds and avrg points allowed by 4 which is even more impressive considering we played tOSU and Oregon in 16' and not in 15'.  People were so livid with a 9 win season and bowl loss to an SEC team someones head had to be chopped, enter the Diaco debacle.  If Bankers D showed similar improvement from year 2 to year 3, 2017 would have been an entirely different season.  I count 4-5 more potential wins in that scenario.  Instead we went from an upper half defense to the rock bottom in 2017.

Banker was terrible.  It didn't even take me one half of one game - watching the BYU game from the stands - to figure out that his defense wouldn't work.

His 2015 defense was literally 2007 bad.  The 2016 stats look better but we also played the #124, #105, #97(t), #113, #71, #97(t), #100, #73 and #94 offenses in yards per play.  So our defense looked better playing against bad offenses.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, dvdcrr said:

Diaco?  You are talking about that guy who was hired by the AD, not the coach who was here like 9 months, who they didn't even have time to get a full set of keys to?  The guy that never had any buy-in from the HC or any of the other coaches or players?  What do we know about him, what he could have done at NU?

That guy had about as much chance at NU as a skydiver landing in the middle of Vesuvius circa 79 AD

Wait, I'm confused...are you actually trying to defend Diaco right now?  And before you point to what he did at Notre Lame, those teams were loaded with talent which covered up his coaching deficiencies

1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

Wait, I'm confused...are you actually trying to defend Diaco right now?  And before you point to what he did at Notre Lame, those teams were loaded with talent which covered up his coaching deficiencies

Well if we're never going to be loaded with talent and always need coaching to save our asses and get us to championship level football, we're probably never going to get there consistently.

• Plus1 2
21 hours ago, Undone said:

So...how do we really boil down those comments? Would we say that Bo knew how to coach defense, but once he ran out of Callahan's linemen and a couple decent JUCO linebackers & DBs that he just couldn't recruit on the defensive side of the ball?

It has always been my opinion that while Bo does know how to coach defense, he's so impressed with his scheme that he thought he could plug anybody in his defense and be successful.  Some of his higher rated classes brought here were full of RBs, QBs, etc.  Riley also seemed like to "stack" his classes with offensive players rather than focusing on defensive players. 

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Well if we're never going to be loaded with talent and always need coaching to save our asses and get us to championship level football, we're probably never going to get there consistently.

We need a healthy balance of good coaching and a reasonable amount of talent to go with it, something that we've sorely lacked under our past 2 DC's.

39 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Banker was terrible.  It didn't even take me one half of one game - watching the BYU game from the stands - to figure out that his defense wouldn't work.

His 2015 defense was literally 2007 bad.  The 2016 stats look better but we also played the #124, #105, #97(t), #113, #71, #97(t), #100, #73 and #94 offenses in yards per play.  So our defense looked better playing against bad offenses.

Your mind was made up less than 2 quarters into his first game.  Kind of waters down anything you say afterwards as highly self serving bias.

Bankers first five games as DC we allowed 24 points per game.  Through five this season we giving up 39 points per game.  One of those number sure looks far superior to me. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Your mind was made up less than 2 quarters into his first game.  Kind of waters down anything you say afterwards as highly self serving bias.

Bankers first five games as DC we allowed 24 points per game.  Through five this season we giving up 39 points per game.  One of those number sure looks far superior to me. 

Why are you always consistently defending the previous coaching staff.  Just stop.  It makes you look spiteful.

• Thanks 3
41 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Why are you always consistently defending the previous coaching staff.  Just stop.  It makes you look spiteful.

In the age of social media where deliberate falsehoods and half truths are posted by the second, my question back to you is, why don't more people call out b.s. when they see it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
52 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

It doesn't water anything down. It may give you an excuse to dismiss it instead of have a rebuttal but all it shows is it was pretty obvious to see how bad it was right away if you were willing to see it.

52 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

:movegoalpost:

• Plus1 2