Where We Speak Less-than-Fondly of Former Coaches

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

Banker's D made every QB we faced look like Drew Brees.

Banker chose to limit the run while Chin appears to limit the pass.  Maybe someday we'll have a defense that can limit both at the same time.

2015 vs Wisky

147 rushing yards allowed,  322 passing yards allowed,  469 total

2018 vs Wisky

370 rushing yards allowed, 163 passing yards allowed, 533 total

8 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

Rebutting a purely subjective opinion is a waste of time no amount of facts presented are going to change.   

What I initially stated was fact and not opinion, Banker's D shut down Wisconsin's offense with Oregon St type talent. So why do you think that wouldn't work here?  Are you saying Oregon State had better talent?

You should do comedy because you're hilarious.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Why are you always consistently defending the previous coaching staff.  Just stop.  It makes you look spiteful.

Because they are the scapegoats to this terrible season.  I'm no Riley lover, but he was stuck with Diaco and Diaco killed them last season.  Three years isn't long enough to change things at a school where the environment has been bad for years, but because of the Diaco debacle those coaches had to be fired to save the program from fan apathy.  That's why Frost having a seven year deal, and being a local legend is a great thing.  Fans have to be patient.  He needs time because things have been screwed up for years.  And not necessarily by coaches and players alone.  I'm happy to see fans being patient with Frost.  Too bad Riley didn't get the same treatment.

So here we are ten months after Riley's firing and this terrible season is Riley's fault to many on this board.  People are so desperate to believe it's all Riley's fault, they believe garbage about players not lifting weights and players being lazy and blah, blah, blah.  You have to be very naive to believe that football coaches wouldn't put emphasis on weightlifting.  Riley and his staff have put many players into the NFL and coached two Biletnikoff winners. One of them was a walk-on.  None of those guys were highly touted out of high school.  Riley won 112 games in his career.  Those things don't happen to coaching staffs who only care about ice cream parties or staffs unable to develop talent.

I am on board with Frost.  I wanted him hired after Bo was fired.  I think he is the only guy who can turn things around because he's on his way to being a great coach and because he's a Nebraska legend.  That legend status forces fans to be patient and that's needed.  But this Riley hate is over the top.  He didn't have enough time or freedom within the program.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Because they are the scapegoats to this terrible season.  I'm no Riley lover, but he was stuck with Diaco and Diaco killed them last season.  Three years isn't long enough to change things at a school where the environment has been bad for years, but because of the Diaco debacle those coaches had to be fired to save the program from fan apathy.  That's why Frost having a seven year deal, and being a local legend is a great thing.  Fans have to be patient.  He needs time because things have been screwed up for years.  And not necessarily by coaches and players alone.  I'm happy to see fans being patient with Frost.  Too bad Riley didn't get the same treatment.

So here we are ten months after Riley's firing and this terrible season is Riley's fault to many on this board.  People are so desperate to believe it's all Riley's fault, they believe garbage about players not lifting weights and players being lazy and blah, blah, blah.  You have to be very naive to believe that football coaches wouldn't put emphasis on weightlifting.  Riley and his staff have put many players into the NFL and coached two Biletnikoff winners. One of them was a walk-on.  None of those guys were highly touted out of high school.  Riley won 112 games in his career.  Those things don't happen to coaching staffs who only care about ice cream parties or staffs unable to develop talent.

I am on board with Frost.  I wanted him hired after Bo was fired.  I think he is the only guy who can turn things around because he's on his way to being a great coach and because he's a Nebraska legend.  That legend status forces fans to be patient and that's needed.  But this Riley hate is over the top.  He didn't have enough time or freedom within the program.

Riley didn't make the team lift. Some of them did, but not all. If they came in and said they were sore or had a headache, they'd let them off the hook. This is fairly well known information. We don't  hate Riley, he just never should've been Nebraska's coach. By the same token, I've heard that Pelini let some things slide, too.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Ya winning a lot really sucked.

I do agree with some of what you say.  

The over emphasis of being 0-5 is somehow all related to Riley.  The game losing penalties, atrocious late game play calling, special teams being a joke, QB turning it over in key situations, not trying to protect your OLine early when your defense is doing its job and short driving it, consistently losing the field position battle.  That stuff is on this staff, those are correctable, the quality of player on the field is mostly Riley.  It is kind of weird to watch the fans separate the actual players from this coaching staff like they are different entities but work for the same company.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

The over emphasis of being 0-5 is somehow all related to Riley.  The game losing penalties, atrocious late game play calling, special teams being a joke, QB turning it over in key situations, not trying to protect your OLine early when your defense is doing its job and short driving it, consistently losing the field position battle.

Can you give examples of "atrocious late game play calling?" That's fascinating. 

Can you also explain what "not protecting your offensive line" means?

• Plus1 5

9 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I'm no Riley lover, but he was stuck with Diaco and Diaco killed them last season. 

He didn't have enough time or freedom within the program.

What about Langsdorf? We had him for 3 years.

Please explain how Riley didn’t have enough time or freedom. He was 61 when he accepted the job. He knew what he was getting into.

• Plus1 2