Bracketology 2019

45 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Northwestern, Rutgers, PSU and Illinois are all going to be terrible.

The rest of the conference are probably all 19 to 25 win teams.

Northwestern could potentially have a bounce back. God knows Derek Pardon will give the Huskers headaches.

PSU without Tony Carr doesnt really scare me. 

I think Iowa should be bad again. Purdue should take a slight step back. They lost four starters. Carsen Edwards is pretty good but lots to replace.

Always hard to tell because of injuries and how freshman or unknown transfers will fit in.

5 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Northwestern could potentially have a bounce back. God knows Derek Pardon will give the Huskers headaches.

PSU without Tony Carr doesnt really scare me. 

I think Iowa should be bad again. Purdue should take a slight step back. They lost four starters. Carsen Edwards is pretty good but lots to replace.

Always hard to tell because of injuries and how freshman or unknown transfers will fit in.

NW is an odd one...Right now I am going to assume that they will not be good but who knows.

PSU I almost feel bad for.  If Carr came back they would have made the dance and won a lot of games.  Instead poor Patty Chambers is twisting in the wind.  

I am bullish on Iowa.  They played young last year and I think this year they will be solid.  If not, Fran might be on his way out.  But I have been wrong on them before.

Purdue will win all their home games, seems like they always do.  Edwards is going to be in the running for Big Ten player of the year.  They still have that Harmms dude (I think that is his name)...They will grab and clutch and beat other teams up and get away with it like usual.  

Rutgers and Illinois combined will not win over 6 conference games.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

NW is an odd one...Right now I am going to assume that they will not be good but who knows.

PSU I almost feel bad for.  If Carr came back they would have made the dance and won a lot of games.  Instead poor Patty Chambers is twisting in the wind.  

I am bullish on Iowa.  They played young last year and I think this year they will be solid.  If not, Fran might be on his way out.  But I have been wrong on them before.

Purdue will win all their home games, seems like they always do.  Edwards is going to be in the running for Big Ten player of the year.  They still have that Harmms dude (I think that is his name)...They will grab and clutch and beat other teams up and get away with it like usual.  

For Iowa to improve they will have to play defense. 

Harmms is tall & can block shots, but is about as big around as a toothpick.  Unless he's added a lot of muscle in the off season there won't be much to worry about from him because he'll get pushed around.  He benefited from having Haas around more than most of their team.

PSU still has three really good players coming back.  Carr was a good player, but sometimes tried to do too much.  I think they will be better than most think.  Not great, but at least decent.

55 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

For Iowa to improve they will have to play defense. 

Harmms is tall & can block shots, but is about as big around as a toothpick.  Unless he's added a lot of muscle in the off season there won't be much to worry about from him because he'll get pushed around.  He benefited from having Haas around more than most of their team.

PSU still has three really good players coming back.  Carr was a good player, but sometimes tried to do too much.  I think they will be better than most think.  Not great, but at least decent.

Iowa will just try and run...they never really play D.

I think Harmms will be okay.

I hope PSU is better than most people think.  Pat Chambers seems like a cool cat.

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

I’d take this bet.  I really liked what I saw many times with that young Illini team last year.

I agree with you on Iowa.  Top 9 scorers return.  Know Garcia is currently hurt.  But we all would be kidding ourselves not to think that psychopath head coach of theirs is going all Norman Dale and holding preseason work outs without a ball focusing completely on defense.  

23 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

I’d take this bet.  I really liked what I saw many times with that young Illini team last year.

I agree with you on Iowa.  Top 9 scorers return.  Know Garcia is currently hurt.  But we all would be kidding ourselves not to think that psychopath head coach of theirs is going all Norman Dale and holding preseason work outs without a ball focusing completely on defense.  

Norman Dale!!  Ha

I can see the Illini winning 5...and Rutgers getting 1 Ha

I am a huge Illini basketball fan but they are sooooo young this year.  1 Senior on the roster and he might not start.  There is a chance that they start all fresh/sophs

7 hours ago, teachercd said:

As long as NU doesn't drop games to the bottom 4 teams they will be in with ease.

I'm assuming you're saying we win those six games and then win at least 6-7 other conference games somewhere along the line?  I would guess we could also pick up a W in the conference tourney but that hasn't been kind to Miles so far.

In the non-con there would seem to be 5 that we should win (plus SW Minn but I'm not sure that actually counts) which leaves Seton Hall, HOF Day 2, Clemson, Creighton and Oklahoma State as at least somewhat toss-up games.  But it wouldn't be out of the question to lose several of them which means we have a little work to do to get above .500 in the non-con.  So we would have to pick up 6-7 "other" conference wins and win a couple of those non-cons to get to 19.  

Doable if we are as good as a lot of people seem to think we are.  "Other" home conference games are Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Maryland, Minnesota, Purdue and Iowa.  Getting 5 there would go a long ways.

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm assuming you're saying we win those six games and then win at least 6-7 other conference games somewhere along the line?  I would guess we could also pick up a W in the conference tourney but that hasn't been kind to Miles so far.

In the non-con there would seem to be 5 that we should win (plus SW Minn but I'm not sure that actually counts) which leaves Seton Hall, HOF Day 2, Clemson, Creighton and Oklahoma State as at least somewhat toss-up games.  But it wouldn't be out of the question to lose several of them which means we have a little work to do to get above .500 in the non-con.  So we would have to pick up 6-7 "other" conference wins and win a couple of those non-cons to get to 19.  

Doable if we are as good as a lot of people seem to think we are.  "Other" home conference games are Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Maryland, Minnesota, Purdue and Iowa.  Getting 5 there would go a long ways.

That is pretty much what I was thinking.  Except I don't see the Jays as a toss up game.  They will be terrible this year.

So, going of the above, he's my "Checklist for 20".  How close is this?:

Non-Con Must-Have Wins - Need All 5

Miss Valley St - SE Louisiana - Missouri St - Western Illinois - CSU Fullerton

Non-Con Toss-Ups - Need 2

Seton Hall - Clemson - Creighton - Oklahoma State - HOF Day 2

Conference Must-Have Wins - Need 6

Illinois - Penn State - Rutgers - Illinois - Northwestern - Penn State

"Other" Conference Home Games - Need 5

Michigan State - Ohio State - Wisconsin - Maryland - Minnesota - Purdue - Iowa

"Other" Conference Road Games - Need 1

Minnesota - Maryland - Iowa - Indiana - Purdue - Michigan - Michigan State

Conference Tournament - Need 1

• Plus1 3

That does actually seem pretty do-able.  Of course, last year we had 9 non-con wins and won 13 conference games for 22 total and got left out.  The above is 20 wins and only 12-8 in conference so I'm not sure that would exactly guarantee a spot.  But there is definitely room to grab one more from each of the Non-Con Toss Up, Other Home and Other Road categories which would seem to get us safely in.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

That does actually seem pretty do-able.  Of course, last year we had 9 non-con wins and won 13 conference games for 22 total and got left out.  The above is 20 wins and only 12-8 in conference so I'm not sure that would exactly guarantee a spot.  But there is definitely room to grab one more from each of the Non-Con Toss Up, Other Home and Other Road categories which would seem to get us safely in.

I think that breakdown is about perfect.  I don't think the Jays or Hall are toss up games, I would put those in the easy win.

But yes that is just about it.  I do think that a loss to any crap team might do them in.

Creighton was going to suck every other year or so for the last god how many years????

And recent history shows Mac runs circles around Timmy in the coaching realm.

Lacking in the front court and potential depth should really have most fans tempering their dreams a skosh, maybe a skosh and a half.  Yes this team can be good, but........

• Plus1 2