Bracketology 2019

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

#10 in the conference.  #12 in the country.

Ummmmm......... OK .........

Tenth in the conference with close road loses to teams ranked 26, 36 & 56 in the NET rankings & blowout home wins over teams ranked 45 & 48, a close road win over 51 & a "neutral site" blowout win over 65.  The computers love big point spreads.

32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Based on the non-conference schedule, NU should still have a decent seed right now.  The team just needs to right the ship a bit before the losing becomes contagious and the conference season ends up being a bust.  That's how NU will get left out of the NCAA tournament.

I think that they are likely to lose their next two games (at Indiana, Michigan State), but they should win 9 of the next 10.

1 minute ago, ECisGod said:

I think that they are likely to lose their next two games (at Indiana, Michigan State), but they should win 9 of the next 10.

If we lose the next two, we'll be 2-5 in conference with the two wins coming over teams that are currently winless in conference.  

Not saying they can't, but "expecting" them to win 9 of the next 10 seems a bit ambitious.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

If we lose the next two, we'll be 2-5 in conference with the two wins coming over teams that are currently winless in conference.  

Not saying they can't, but "expecting" them to win 9 of the next 10 seems a bit ambitious.

I get that is is ambitious, but after Michigan State, the schedule is six home games (OSU, Wisconsin, Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern & Purdue) and four road games (Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue & Penn State).  They should have beaten Maryland & Minnesota away, so you'd hope those would be wins.  Northwestern is very offensively challenged and a worse road team the Nebraska.  OSU, Wisconsin & Purdue should be close, but the home crowd should push the Huskers to win.  Rutgers & Illinois are improving, but haven't really figured out how to win (yes I know Rutgers just beat OSU) & Penn State will be playing for the end of the Pat Chambers era by the time Nebraska gets there.

Here's the way I look at the remaining 15 games, and this is obviously just my opinion.

The next 5 games are @Indiana, vs Michigan State, @Rutgers, vs Ohio State and vs Wisconsin. I feel like we need to win 3 out of 5 here. There is no way we are winning against Michigan State in my opinion so we need to win 3 out of the other 4.

The next 5 games after that are @Illinois, vs Maryland, @Purdue, vs Minnesota and vs Northwestern. I feel like we need to win 4 our of this 5 since we have 3 home games and we go to Illinois.

The last 5 games are @Penn State, vs Purdue, @Michigan, @Michigan State and vs Iowa. I think we need to win 3 out of 5 here with obvious losses @Michigan and @Michigan State. 

That would leave our record at 22-9 going in to the conference tournament. If we could win a couple of games in the tournament I think we have a good chance of making it in. The way we look lately though, I'm not sure if everything is possible that I laid out.

37 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

Here's the way I look at the remaining 15 games, and this is obviously just my opinion.

The next 5 games are @Indiana, vs Michigan State, @Rutgers, vs Ohio State and vs Wisconsin. I feel like we need to win 3 out of 5 here. There is no way we are winning against Michigan State in my opinion so we need to win 3 out of the other 4.

The next 5 games after that are @Illinois, vs Maryland, @Purdue, vs Minnesota and vs Northwestern. I feel like we need to win 4 our of this 5 since we have 3 home games and we go to Illinois.

The last 5 games are @Penn State, vs Purdue, @Michigan, @Michigan State and vs Iowa. I think we need to win 3 out of 5 here with obvious losses @Michigan and @Michigan State. 

That would leave our record at 22-9 going in to the conference tournament. If we could win a couple of games in the tournament I think we have a good chance of making it in. The way we look lately though, I'm not sure if everything is possible that I laid out.

22-9 would get NU in for sure.  I think NU is in at 20-11.

2 hours ago, ECisGod said:

And Jerry Palm has them as a 7 seed.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

3 hours ago, ECisGod said:

Lunardi still has them as a 6 seed

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

its so interesting to see the differences in bracketologists at this stage. For instance, Lunardi doesn't even have Temple in the field, while Palm has them safely in as a 10 seed. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

22-9 would get NU in for sure.  I think NU is in at 20-11.

I guess I'm not all that sure.  I'm a bit perplexed by how the new raking system works for sure.  It appears to give a lot of weight to margin of victory - which we did well early in the year - but I still wonder if our schedule isn't going to catch up to us at some point.

The good thing - and probably helping our ranking - is all our losses are Quad 1.  But we've also stockpiled wins against Quad 3 and Quad 4 teams.  Which I suppose most teams have at this point in the year.  But if we lose 7 games and they start falling in the lower categories - and we can't pick up some more nice wins - I think we'll fall down the list. 

I would think we'd still get in at 22-9 (but we didn't last year).  20-11 I'm not so sure.

Quad 1 - Clemson (58)

Quad 2 - Seton Hall (44), Oklahoma St (66)

Quad 3 - Creighton (52), Illinois (124), Penn St (77)

Quad 4 - MVS (349), SELA (332), MO St (190), WIll (300), Cal-Fullerton (243)

Quad 1 Losses - Texas Tech (4), Minnesota (56), Maryland (25), Iowa (34)