Bracketology 2019

On 1/11/2019 at 11:53 AM, Mavric said:

I guess I'm not all that sure.  I'm a bit perplexed by how the new raking system works for sure.  It appears to give a lot of weight to margin of victory - which we did well early in the year - but I still wonder if our schedule isn't going to catch up to us at some point.

The good thing - and probably helping our ranking - is all our losses are Quad 1.  But we've also stockpiled wins against Quad 3 and Quad 4 teams.  Which I suppose most teams have at this point in the year.  But if we lose 7 games and they start falling in the lower categories - and we can't pick up some more nice wins - I think we'll fall down the list. 

I would think we'd still get in at 22-9 (but we didn't last year).  20-11 I'm not so sure.

Quad 1 - Clemson (58)

Quad 2 - Seton Hall (44), Oklahoma St (66)

Quad 3 - Creighton (52), Illinois (124), Penn St (77)

Quad 4 - MVS (349), SELA (332), MO St (190), WIll (300), Cal-Fullerton (243)

Quad 1 Losses - Texas Tech (4), Minnesota (56), Maryland (25), Iowa (34)

Creighton is a quad 2 win. Quad 2 at home is 31-75.

• Plus1 2

"Checklist for 22"

Non-Con Must-Have Wins - Need All 7 - Check

Miss Valley St - SE Louisiana Seton Hall - Missouri St - Western Illinois - CSU Fullerton - Southwest Minnesota

Non-Con Toss-Ups - Need 2 - Plus 1

Clemson - Creighton - Oklahoma State - Texas Tech

Conference Must-Have Wins - Need 6 - Down 1

Illinois - Penn State - Rutgers - Illinois - Northwestern - Penn State

"Other" Conference Home Games - Need 5

Michigan State - Ohio State - Wisconsin - Maryland - Minnesota - Purdue - Iowa

"Other" Conference Road Games - Need 1 - Check

Minnesota - Maryland - Iowa - Indiana - Purdue - Michigan - Michigan State

Conference Tournament - Need 1

NET Rankings - Huskers #11 as of 1/18

Quad 1 - Clemson (54), Indiana (30)

Quad 2 - Seton Hall (49), Creighton (58), Oklahoma St (68)

Quad 3 - Illinois (99), Penn St (84)

Quad 4 - MVS (346), SELA (325), MO St (190), WIll (314), Cal-Fullerton (261)

Quad 1 Losses - Texas Tech (8), Minnesota (63), Maryland (21), Iowa (25), Michigan State (6)

Quad 3 Loss - Rutgers (142)

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160; Neutral 101-200; Away 136-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-plus; Neutral 201-plus; Away 241-plus.

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

22-9 sounds good.... 23-8 would be the ceiling in my opinion.

Well, from Mavrics post above, I expect us to win the 4 “must have wins”. We then have 7 home games. I think can win 6 of those. That gives us 10 wins for 23 total. 

So so I would agree with you. 

Is that “much better” than going .500? I think so. 

I really want us to win on Thursday. I’m so glad that is at home. Not expecting it....but damn it would be nice. 

• Plus1 1

https://theathletic.com/755243/2019/01/08/bubble-watch-nobody-is-a-lock-except-duke-duke-is-a-lock-but-nobody-else/

Nebraska (11-4, 1-3 – NET: 15, SOS: 79): No Big Ten team was damaged more by the league’s struggles a year ago. The Cornhuskers took a couple of so-so losses (and missed out on beating Kansas by a single point) in nonconference play; Tim Miles told his players they would have to do their best work in the league. They did. In any other year, a 13-5 Big Ten record would include, by mathematical necessity, at least four or five quality wins. Nebraska’s didn’t; to the NIT it went.

The good news: The Big Ten is better. So is Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

5 seed in Jacksonville vs Murray State. That sounds great until you realize we'd have to play Ja Morant.

Win that one and we get Kentucky (or Georgia State). 

How great would it be to steal Wandale, and beat Kentucky to get to the Sweet 16 all within 6 months?:lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

The rest of the season is going to be interesting.  Earlier I said that I think we very well could win 10 of the last 14 games to get to 23 wins.

I just looked and in the Big Ten rankings.  9 of our last 14 games are against teams that are ranked tied or above us.

There's a lot of fun basketball left to watch.

I count that we ended 13-6 in conference last year. (thought there were 20 games, but I counted it twice).  We are currently 3-3.  If my prediction of 10 wins to finish out holds up, we could end up with the same conference record, but one hell of a lot better in our post season placing.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The rest of the season is going to be interesting.  Earlier I said that I think we very well could win 10 of the last 14 games to get to 23 wins.

I just looked and in the Big Ten rankings.  9 of our last 14 games are against teams that are ranked tied or above us.

There's a lot of fun basketball left to watch.

I count that we ended 13-6 in conference last year. (thought there were 20 games, but I counted it twice).  We are currently 3-3.  If my prediction of 10 wins to finish out holds up, we could end up with the same conference record, but one hell of a lot better in our post season placing.

13-6 would include the loss in the B1G tournament.  We went 13-5 in the regular season in conference.

https://theathletic.com/766952/2019/01/15/bubble-watch-what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-lock/

Nebraska (13-4, 3-3 – NET: 13, SOS: 6): After last year’s will-they-won’t-they drama, the Cornhuskers are on track to make this year’s tournament outlook entirely free of suspense. Already wielding a solid résumé, Nebraska turned in as impressive an effort as it has all season in a 15-point win at Indiana on Monday. Next up? Thursday’s date with Michigan State.

• Plus1 1

It does seem like the Huskers are going to benefit from two big factors - the B1G is much better this year than it was last year and other conferences are not very good.  I've seen a couple different places predicting the B1G will get 10 teams in and leagues like the Pac-12 might only get 1 or 2.