The Angry Violent Right

Im surprised this doesn't happen more often.  My fiancés cousin is a reporter in small town Iowa and went to cover the Trump rally in Council Bluffs awhile ago.  She said Trump made comments the whole time about how bad the press was and they aren't to be trusted and enemy of the people BS.  Her cousin said people yelled at them the whole time and she has never felt so much hatred and never been so scared for her safety in her life.  Its an absolute disgrace and the absolute worst in our society go to these things.

• Plus1 4

On 1/29/2019 at 12:10 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

This could just as easily have gone in the racism thread.

This is a very explicit example that yes, in fact, MAGA has a more complex meaning to people than just words on a hat.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:14 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Something about this story doesn't quite pass the sniff test. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, HuskerNBigD said:

That's funny, because I was just thinking that when I came into this thread this morning. The way the page jumps around when it loads, it landed on this and I thought, "What ever happened to this?" 

You'd have thought there would be some movement on this by now. Some suspects, something.  But it's been a while since we heard anything.

We've seen fake attack claims in the past, and we've seen claims that appear to be fake that turned out to actually happen. I'll wait and see what the police come up with before making a judgment, but this story raises questions. 

5 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I'm honestly trying not to have this thought go through my mind.....but, I'm failing in those efforts.

I don't want to not believe him.  But...come on....you would thinks something would have been found on a security camera in the area somewhere.

Just now, knapplc said:

That's funny, because I was just thinking that when I came into this thread this morning. The way the page jumps around when it loads, it landed on this and I thought, "What ever happened to this?" 

You'd have thought there would be some movement on this by now. Some suspects, something.  But it's been a while since we heard anything.

We've seen fake attack claims in the past, and we've seen claims that appear to be fake that turned out to actually happen. I'll wait and see what the police come up with before making a judgment, but this story raises questions. 

Agreed.

I'm not saying that this country is perfect and that we don't have racist individuals roaming around. But to me, there are several red flags including the point you just made -cops have made little progress in two weeks. I just have a hard time believing that two neo-nazis were strolling around downtown Chicago, at 2 AM in the morning, with a noose and could point out an individual from Empire. Not only that, they used a small hot sauce container to "dowse" him in bleach? Then, this small container was found two weeks later by the NY Post? 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm honestly trying not to have this thought go through my mind.....but, I'm failing in those efforts.

I don't want to not believe him.  But...come on....you would thinks something would have been found on a security camera in the area somewhere.

I feel bad thinking it isn't true, because I don't want to be seen as protecting a racist or discrediting a black man. But in this situation and at this time, I just am unable to come to any other conclusion.

However, if it isn't true, shame on him because it will discredit future hate crimes and the media or far right wingers will be able to say, "nuh, uh, this is just another Jussie Smollett incident." Again, if not true, I think the police / FBI should reprimand him because each time there is a reported fake hate crime, it limits future progress. I know in Texas alone there have been a few notorious instances in the last couple of years. There was a gay pastor who tampered with a whole foods cake and wrote something to the extend of "God hates f*gs" after purchasing the cake. Luckily, security cameras could prove this wasn't the case. Then there was an El Paso waiter who wrote a fake tip note. These cases deflect the actual severity of hate crimes.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I feel bad thinking it isn't true, because I don't want to be seen as protecting a racist or discrediting a black man. But in this situation and at this time, I just am unable to come to any other conclusion.

However, if it isn't true, shame on him because it will discredit future hate crimes and the media or far right wingers will be able to say, "nuh, uh, this is just another Jussie Smollett incident." Again, if not true, I think the police / FBI should reprimand him because each time there is a reported fake hate crime, it limits future progress. I know in Texas alone there have been a few notorious instances in the last couple of years. There was a gay pastor who tampered with a whole foods cake and wrote something to the extend of "God hates f*gs" after purchasing the cake. Luckily, security cameras could prove this wasn't the case. Then there was an El Paso waiter who wrote a fake tip note. These cases deflect the actual severity of hate crimes.

I agree.  It would do a horrible disservice to future hate crime victims.  

The first red flag that really made me scratch my head.  I read somewhere where he showed up to the emergency room with the rope still around his neck.  OK.....if you're a black man who got beat up by neo-nazis and they put a rope around your neck and ran off......would you keep the rope around your neck or, would you rip it off at the first chance.

• Plus1 3