The Angry Violent Right

33 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You’ll find that most people who post here aren’t pulling these things out of their asses or from the circles they run in. You could ask @Frott Scost to back it up with sources, though. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1590329002

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58f921f2e4b018a9ce599bde/amp

https://morningconsult.com/2018/10/10/americas-most-and-least-popular-senators-10-10/

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean everyone knows if Sanders is the democratic nominee he will wipe the floor with Trump. Just like he would have in 2016. Thats why the smear campaigns against him are way worse than when the others announced. Fox news is talking about how he wants to turn America into Venezuela and his vision for America is having breadlines. They are scared to death of him being the choice. 

And if AOC isnt mainstream how come Fox news talks about her all the time and we are here on a Nebraska message board talking about her. Name 10 other congressman from other states you have heard about. I can only name Bacon, Pelosi, Omar, Gaetz, King (for all the wrong reasons) and AOC. She is a popular politican throughout the country. Waldo can call me a fanboy all he wants, I dont really care because Ive already said I dont agree with all her policies but I appreciate her fighting for everyone and not just the few. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

To the "complaint" that this board leans more liberal than the state...

Just a theory, but because this is a college-oriented sports site, a lot of the people who post here are college-educated. Those people tend to value fact over opinion, and they're familiar with how to vet a source. They then allow the sourced & vetted facts form their opinion.  For some reason, that's viewed by some as a "liberal" trait. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'll go back to my previous posts admitting that this board does tend to lean anti-Trump, unlike the state itself.

That's the point I was mainly chiming in on, and yes you had previously said it.

I do not have a theory why.  There are very passionate posters here, but the numbers are not high.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

The original argument wasn’t about Trump. It was about conservatives. I don’t think anyone would argue that a large majority who post here do not support Trump. There isn’t even a point in discussing that.

Yes and no. For all the talk about conservatives abandoning Trump, the President's approval rating has remained oddly consistent. Unlike HuskerBoard, conservatives who openly oppose Trump are a minority in the national conversation, and supposedly conflicted Republican legislators back the President's agenda virtually 100% when given a chance to vote their conscience. Nebraska overwhelming favored Trump in the Republican primaries, with even more conservative Ted Cruz #2, and gave Trump 59% in the General. Polls suggest surprisingly little buyer's remorse among Trump voters, so it's safe to assume most Nebraska voters still support Trump. So while I would genuinely like to separate conservatives from Trump supporters, I'm not sure it's possible or meaningful yet, and HuskerBoard remains an interesting anomaly. 

20 minutes ago, knapplc said:

To the "complaint" that this board leans more liberal than the state...

Just a theory, but because this is a college-oriented sports site, a lot of the people who post here are college-educated. Those people tend to value fact over opinion, and they're familiar with how to vet a source. They then allow the sourced & vetted facts form their opinion.  For some reason, that's viewed by some as a "liberal" trait. 

And again, this is what kills me. Growing up in Nebraska, both rural and urban, Nebraskans held a healthy suspicion of elites, and could spot a flim-flam man a mile away. 

How the state went for the billionaire New York TV star who promised a load of crap no self-respecting farmer would buy remains a mystery to me.

I have theories, of course, but they make me sad. 

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yes and no. For all the talk about conservatives abandoning Trump, the President's approval rating has remained oddly consistent. Unlike HuskerBoard, conservatives who openly oppose Trump are a minority in the national conversation, and supposedly conflicted Republican legislators back the President's agenda virtually 100% when given a chance to vote their conscience. Nebraska overwhelming favored Trump in the Republican primaries, with even more conservative Ted Cruz #2, and gave Trump 59% in the General. Polls suggest surprisingly little buyer's remorse among Trump voters, so it's safe to assume most Nebraska voters still support Trump. So while I would genuinely like to separate conservatives from Trump supporters, I'm not sure it's possible or meaningful yet, and HuskerBoard remains an interesting anomaly. 

The original claim was that the board is overwhelmingly liberal.

It’s not relevant that many of the conservatives here do not support Trump, because nothing about the claim differentiated between conservatives who support and conservatives who are against Trump.

It’s flat out false that the board is overwhelmigly liberal, whether the conservatives here support Trump or not.

• Plus1 1

I don't know how everyone prefers to identify themselves, but as a liberal coming on this board, I find the positions taken on virtually every topic to lean overwhelmingly liberal (though not necessarily Democratic). If the question is whether self-identified conservatives coming here feel largely outnumbered — and it is — it's a bit disingenuous to claim otherwise. 

The number of conservatives who have disengaged from Trump, and the number of Trump supporters afraid to defend him in this forum, is extremely relevant.

I actually can't think of anything more relevant. 

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't know how everyone prefers to identify themselves, but as a liberal coming on this board, I find the positions taken on virtually every topic to lean overwhelmingly liberal (though not necessarily Democratic). If the question is whether self-identified conservatives coming here feel largely outnumbered — and it is — it's a bit disingenuous to claim otherwise. 

The number of conservatives who have disengaged from Trump, and the number of Trump supporters afraid to defend him in this forum, is extremely relevant.

I actually can't think of anything more relevant. 

As a moderate conservative, I will fully agree that this board is heavily populated with more liberal people than the average Nebraskan.  

The way I view this board is that there are a number of people who are fairly liberal.  There are some people who used to be Republican and are at least middle of the road to leaning conservative.  These people are more willing to have an open and decent discussion with liberal people without getting all hot and bothered by it.  When you have someone come in who is still a staunch Republican and heavily conservative, they find themselves in an extreme minority.....even though, if they would simply have a conversation without attacking, they would find some people who will agree with some of their views.

I left a board because I found that it was just like this only just the opposite.  There were nothing but staunch conservatives and every time a liberal came in, they felt attacked.  I actually grew tired of it, because I wanted to actually have open discussions with people who might disagree with me.  Some people just can't handle that.  

We have actually had liberal people on here saying some pretty ridiculous stuff that almost the entire board disagreed with.....only to see them leave too.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Except the data does support the hypothesis that there is a problem. 

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2017/investigations/florida-police-shootings/database/

In Florida, from 2009 to 2014;

41% of people shot by police were black,

40% were white

African Americans make up just 16% of Florida's population!

Whites make up over 6o  percent of our population

but only 23 percent of nba players

does the nba discriminate against whites? 

Blacks make up about 13 percent of our population but commit 48 percent of the murders 

one might surmise more blacks would be involved in lethal situations with police than others right? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I would imagine that there were more “conservatives” commenting in the politics section when Obama was president than now with Trump in power (could be way wrong). It seems that people tend to be more upset/passionate/vocal when someone they don’t agree with is in power. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Except the data does support the hypothesis that there is a problem. 

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2017/investigations/florida-police-shootings/database/

In Florida, from 2009 to 2014;

41% of people shot by police were black,

40% were white

African Americans make up just 16% of Florida's population!

If you read this you would get it

police engagements to death ratio much Lower with blacks compared to whites 

black cops Shoot black suspects at a rate of 3-1 compared to white cops

are black cops racist murderers? 

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/the-danger-of-the-black-lives-matter-movement/

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

Whites make up over 6o  percent of our population

but only 23 percent of nba players

doed the nba discriminate against whites? 

Here is what I don't get about this discussion.

What is it about this discussion that makes some people rail against any effort to hold police accountable for their actions?  I support our local law enforcement heavily.  But, I also expect them to do their jobs the right way.  I think you said earlier that you have been a victim of police abuse.  Why is that OK?  Shouldn't the public be speaking out about these abuses?

If I live in Minden and a police officer from Kearney comes in and shoots one of our unarmed teenagers in the back and it's on video, shouldn't the public rail against this?  Shouldn't there be an outcry for the police officer to be charged?

What is different about that than someone in the black community doing the same thing?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

If you read this you would get it

police engagements to death ratio much Lower with blacks compared to whites 

black cops Shoot black suspects at a rate of 3-1 compared to white cops

are black cops racist murderers? 

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/the-danger-of-the-black-lives-matter-movement/

Why does it matter what color the police officer is?  Shouldn't we still hold them accountable for their actions?

• Plus1 1