• 9 months later...

Had a little bit of a hot sauce debate at work the other day.  I keep a bottle of Valentina in the breakroom fridge and my buddy keeps a bottle of Sriracha.  He was arguing that Sriracha is way hotter than Valentina and Valentina is basically ketchup, and I contend that neither one is very spicy at all but Valentina just tastes a lot better.  And really, Sriracha is just hot sauce for hipsters if we're being honest.

What say you, Huskerboard?

I like Sriracha because it has a distinctive taste and is what I want in certain dishes.  I have probably 4-5 different hot sauces in the fridge and use them not for the heat, but for the various tastes.  The bight they provide is just part of the taste.

I was recently in Breckenridge and there was a guy at the farmers market selling hot sauces.  Turns out, he was from Omaha and a big Husker fan. He grows his own peppers.  I can't remember what it's called, but it was good.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Had a little bit of a hot sauce debate at work the other day.  I keep a bottle of Valentina in the breakroom fridge and my buddy keeps a bottle of Sriracha.  He was arguing that Sriracha is way hotter than Valentina and Valentina is basically ketchup, and I contend that neither one is very spicy at all but Valentina just tastes a lot better.  And really, Sriracha is just hot sauce for hipsters if we're being honest.

What say you, Huskerboard?

I haven't had Valentina in a long time. I'm pretty particular about what kinds of hot sauces I put on different types of food, so Valentina would be more for Hispanic foods and Sriracha for Asian foods. I have a coworker that puts Sriracha in everything and it kinda makes me gag cuz the sweet chili flavor doesn't go with half the stuff she uses it on. I don't use Sriracha as a hot sauce as I'm eating anymore, I use it spice up a sauce while cooking. Valentina is definitely not ketchup though. I mean, if Valentina is ketchup, isn't Sririacha just Asian ketchup? 

7 minutes ago, GSG said:

I haven't had Valentina in a long time. I'm pretty particular about what kinds of hot sauces I put on different types of food, so Valentina would be more for Hispanic foods and Sriracha for Asian foods. I have a coworker that puts Sriracha in everything and it kinda makes me gag cuz the sweet chili flavor doesn't go with half the stuff she uses it on. I don't use Sriracha as a hot sauce as I'm eating anymore, I use it spice up a sauce while cooking. Valentina is definitely not ketchup though. I mean, if Valentina is ketchup, isn't Sririacha just Asian ketchup? 

It's fantastic in a sour cream/lime sauce for fish tacos.

Here's what we use at home most of the time:

This is kind of our general go-to: http://www.horsetoothhotsauce.com/product/rubins-xxx/

We use it on everything from eggs, to Mexican, chili, etc. It's basically replaced Frank's (although we keep Frank's for wing sauces) 

We use these three for more Asian-style stuff since they're both make with fruits: http://www.horsetoothhotsauce.com/product/the-o-face/ 

http://www.horsetoothhotsauce.com/product/naughty-4/

https://burnsandmccoy.com/collections/hot-sauces/products/exitium-destruction-pineapple-ginger-hot-sauce

I use this one for Mexican food:  https://burnsandmccoy.com/collections/hot-sauces/products/excubiarum-the-sentinel-verde-hot-sauce

Valentina is as much a spice blend as it is a hot sauce.

Shark brand sriracha is pretty good, preferably the 'strong' version (medium is a little too mild for me). Thinner than Huy Fong, though.

51buNTYDLVL.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 10/19/2018 at 3:48 PM, knapplc said:

I love Hot Ones. The first episode I saw was Charlize Theron, who was super cool and it made me really like her. I've watched probably 50 episodes of it. It's funny to watch all these celebrities lose their minds. The Terry Crewes one was really funny. Tyra Banks was a champ. Joel Embiid didn't even swig water or milk, and he took huge bites of the wings.  I'm not much of a Rachel Ray fan, but she was really cool on that show, too. I think she's the one who just ate it off the spoon?  DJ Khaled punted on them, which is what I would probably do. That stuff would kill me.

The best sauce on there is Da Bomb, which everyone hates because it's just pure evil capsaicin. Lots of people struggle through the first ones but they tough it out, then they do Da Bomb and thy just swear at it/about it. 

I've started liking spicy foods more as I get older. I used be really weak with that stuff, but I have three different kinds of tabasco in my cabinet now, along with Cholula and sriracha sauce. I love sriracha!

EDIT - also, about Hot Ones: one of the producers for 10/11, Brett Baker, is a Hot Ones superfan and has his own cult following. He did an episode where he interviewed Sean. It's funny & worth checking out.

I almost started a new thread just now about hot sauces, and I was going to title it "Hot Sauces," but then I 'membered this one. Berries!

Last night was my first real foray into actual hot sauce. My buddy Brett Baker gave me a bottle of Los Calientes, and I thought I'd die eating it. I tried a toothpick first, just a drop, and instead of raging hellfire it was really good flavor - albeit a bit spicy.  So last night I made chicken fingers and got me a bowl of this stuff on the side. By the end, I was dunking my chicken in the bowl trying to get the last drops of this stuff out. It is SO good!

Dinner:

oqDSBwF.jpg

Los Calientes by Hot Ones

6dECF1X.jpg

Available on Amazon