Turning Point

7 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

The players are jokers. First they send Riley out as the .500 coach they received. Now they are trying to have a bigger turnaround then UCF. This joke has gone on long enough. Time to win a game.

Yes. These guys are so bad the unanimous coach of the year cannot even win a game with them. 

I want the win (and the win out.. Ohio State notwithstanding) so much my blood boils when I think about it.   But..

..yes, but.. ugh.. whatever the capabilities of the individual players may be, as to athleticism as well as to freeing themselves of mistakes like penalties, two things keep creeping into view:

1.  They have a dc who IS NOT PROVEN.  Why he was brought up here I will never understand.  If it were not for a high scoring offense that Central Florida team would have gone 6-6 in their last season at best.

2.   This team does not know HOW TO WIN.  The offense knows how to rack up yardage.  And that is all we've got;  a productive offense as to yardage.  We're proving that yardage (and even time of possession) is not enough TO WIN. 

No defense.  No special teams expertise.  Just a fine quarterback (prone to injury?). 

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I feel like this game will go one of two ways...

1.  Sloppy with lots of mistakes and turnovers by the Skers...Thorson will end up with 150 yards rushing and NW hangs on to win by some gross score like 25-22

2.  Huskers click and get a lead of about 17 points and you get to see the offense rolling and the defense playing with a lead which will look much different.

I was thinking the same thing. Penalties at bad times along with losing the turnover battle, and we lose a close game. If we are even or ahead in TOs, along with no major drrive stopping or continuing penalties, and we curb stomp Northwestern.

• Plus1 1

I find it rather amusing sometimes as I read some of these threads.   During the games, the comments go negative big time and continue for several days after.  Then, slowly during the week the tone tends to shift and get more positive as if something magical has happened that will result in the team playing radically better and now winning and even winning big!

Having three more practices, one or two in pads with light hitting as we're a little banged up now, is NOT going to transform the team from playing poorly to playing well.  This is just not a realistic notion in my view.   Improvement after 5 games will be marginal and incremental at best and requires team confidence and spirit to be on the rise as well.  I would not be surprised to see improved play on offense and defense but special teams has the potential to get worse with some of the changes being made.  Changing punters in mid season does not bode well as punting evaluation has been on going for 9 months and literally thousands of kicks have been charted etc.  Radical changes in strategy (kick away vs. rugby chip and roll, coverages, long snapper changes when we have not been having bad snap issues?, etc seem like desperate measures with little real hope of making a big difference.  Risk is for more disasterous plays than radical improvement it seems to me.   

NW has always been a challenge and will be again.   I have a feeling we might finally pull one out but I don't see anything that suggests somehow a major transformational shift or seismic jump will occur.  We are a long way, as a team, from being good enough to win 6 of the last 7.   We're going to need our opponents to fall apart and a good dose of luck to win 4.   I was bullish before the season started and felt 6 to 8 wins could happen.  But, looking back, it is really hard to reasonably say we have a 'good' team and 'but for' a handful of plays here and there, we'd be 4-2.   We are not a good team and really are a 'bad' team at this point.  

• Plus1 1