*** Official Northwestern Game Thread ***

Mavric

6 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

lo country is exactly right.  It's not about changing DC's but can your DC adjust.  NW had zero running game.  They were one dimensional yet we had the same stupid pass rush where their OL was locking up our same guy every down.  The entire game Thornton was clean and allowing him to pick us apart on third and fourth down.  I find the best pass rusher on the team and that guy plays a ton.  If we don't have them go out and f'ing recruit them.  This crap has gone on for years where we make QB's looks all world against us.  I have a major concern we think we can score like Oregon or UCF so who cares if the defense is garbage?  This game was heavily mismanaged on defense.  Stop playing the sh#1tty man defense and giving up big plays and PI penalties.  Man defense doesn't work when there is zero pressure on the QB.  Make NW earn it...we gave it to them and the refs didn't help us either.  

We 

Do 

Not 

Have 

Talented

Pass 

Rushers

4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I  will vomit if he starts preaching player accountability.  Starts with him. Needs to retract that statement that the big 10 needs to adjust to him. 

I dony want him fired ire’s I just want him

to grow. 

Retracting that statement will help.......

..... something.

Maybe?

This was one of the most disheartening losses in Husker History. Sure 84 Miami, 93 Florida State, and a couple other games meant a lot more, but we are trying to rebuild, and all we are good at is losing. We have lost every game except one this year, and this game was by far the worst. The only game we were beaten was Michigan. How can any player expect to win when we lose no matter what they do or how hard they play? How bad will this affect recruiting. If I was an opposing coach, I would put together a Nebraska fails highlight reel. 

Just now, TheSker said:

We 

Do 

Not 

Have 

Talented

Pass 

Rushers

I'll agree with you on this.  Said earlier, watching our DL, they would look much better with a legitimate edge rusher.  We don't have one.  That's my frustration.  They have 5 down lineman and we rush hat on hat with 3 and have Gifford as the edge rusher.......No pressure at all.  Give Thorson a clean pocket all day.  Not even an elite DB can cover for the amount of time he had.  And we are far form elite in this category.  A way to counter? They block with 5, send 6....We didn't.

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

No. According to the recruit rankings we are 4-5 in the B1G with talent on paper.  Surely you'd agree talent wise we are better than Troy, CU, Purdue and North Western......

I look at other teams that win with less talent by play calling to their strengths on both sides of the ball.  Excelling in the basics ie tackling, penalties, limiting miscues.  

I'n not calling for anyones head.  We start doing that and we will stay where we are.  I'm not naive enough though to look at the talent we have doesn't equal the results we have.  We just watched a one dimensional team drive 99 yards and score.  Dumb penalties and a D that couldn't remotely come close to stopping the only thing they had to.  The pass.  Rush 3, multiple guys in coverage.  All off season Chin continually defended that his 3-4 was not really a 3-4.  That they would adjust as needed.   Might be a 4 man front or even 5 man in obvious passing downs....I really havent seen any of this. His D bends and breaks.  Nothing wrong with re-examining and growing.  See what other teams do in the B1G to win. Bo did great in the Big 12, but never adjusted to the B1G.  

Win Frost says the system works.  He's seen it at UCF I agree.  I just hope he isn't married to the schemes as it relates to play calling.  Scheme related to culture, accountability absolutely.  In reality trust is a 2 way street.  Kids have to trust that the staff puts you in the best position to win.  IMHO, after todays game, there might be some questions raised.

It's possible....just possible.....that they developed players better than the ice cream with sprinkles method.

12 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

Yep.  All of it.

My wife just said it as:  "Scott Frost, bless his heart, is in over his head."

I am beginning to wonder the same. Two years of head coaching experience with 1 winning season. There is nso reason this team should be winless no matter how bad the last staff was. Even Akron beat NW

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

This was one of the most disheartening losses in Husker History. Sure 84 Miami, 93 Florida State, and a couple other games meant a lot more, but we are trying to rebuild, and all we are good at is losing. We have lost every game except one this year, and this game was by far the worst. The only game we were beaten was Michigan. How can any player expect to win when we lose no matter what they do or how hard they play? How bad will this affect recruiting. If I was an opposing coach, I would put together a Nebraska fails highlight reel. 

Here is the gut check time.  This is the time the devil of doubt starts to creep in....

Just now, lo country said:

I'll agree with you on this.  Said earlier, watching our DL, they would look much better with a legitimate edge rusher.  We don't have one.  That's my frustration.  They have 5 down lineman and we rush hat on hat with 3 and have Gifford as the edge rusher.......No pressure at all.  Give Thorson a clean pocket all day.  Not even an elite DB can cover for the amount of time he had.  And we are far form elite in this category.  A way to counter? They block with 5, send 6....We didn't.

I hate to see our DL just lock up with an offensive lineman and push. At least try to hit a seem and get around the OL.

1 minute ago, CheeseHusker said:

Why does Williams remain on the field after being flagged at least three times?

How do you get called for holding and you STILL lose contain on the receiver?

Twice!

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am beginning to wonder the same. Two years of head coaching experience with 1 winning season. There is nso reason this team should be winless no matter how bad the last staff was. Even Akron beat NW

Well....

Mike Riley's 30 years did seem better.  Right?......