*** Official Northwestern Game Thread ***

Mavric

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think the staff is beyond frustrated with the defensive personnel.  But what good does it do to call the personnel out?

It can only be solved in the off-season through development and recruiting.

No, I am referring to the actual scheme. When it is going well, what does that look like? They gave up 30 points per game during their undefeated season. That won't fly in the B1G. 

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

If you would have to explain this defense to someone, what would you say?

1. Makes great plays on 1st and 2nd down, then gives up 15 yards allowing opposing offenses to get a 1st down.  Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

2. Defensive backs who, inexplicably, cannot look back for the ball and invariably draw pass interference penalties.

3. Idiotic roughing/hits on the QB giving the opposing team a free first down.

4. Incredibly thin depth across the entire defense.

5. Our best player on defense, Mick Stoltenberg, is out.

6. No real capable edge rusher from either OLB or DE.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

No, I am referring to the actual scheme. When it is going well, what does that look like? They gave up 30 points per game during their undefeated season. That won't fly in the B1G. 

Scheme is the most overused, meaningless word for why we are losing games.

• Plus1 1

To give Frost the benefit of the doubt, I think he’s uncomfortable talking specific defensive schemes so he answers that way so they stop asking. He’s willing to talk about the little (and big) mistakes on that side but doesn’t want to talk alignment or personnel stuff. Still comes off as a pretty poor answer but I don’t think he meant it as bad as it sounded.

For what it's worth, I felt bad for you guys losing this game, even though it was Homecoming.  You were the better team.  You have a talented freshman quarterback and a powerful running back.  You have a defensive lineman name Khalil not Mack.  We have no running game with our star running back permanently retired.  Your fans travel very well and by far the best visiting nice fans (Michigan...ugh) to Evanston.  With the very painful Westerkamp Hail Mary, with this game I'd call it even if I may.  I am a big Nebraska fan the rest of the way, and I gain utmost satisfaction seeing Nebraska beat hated Iowa.  I'm really glad to see Nebraska in the Big 10 (nothing against Rutgers, but...).  Frost will have you winning the West in two years--wouldn't surprise me.

• Plus1 5
5 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

If that didn’t happen they would’ve found another way to gift them.

You're probably right.  Our defense is just garbage right now.  As others have previously stated, we can't cover anyone on the back end and when we blitz it is from 15 yards away (hyperbole).  Chinander (and the rest of these coaches are east of the rock and west of the hard place.  Very little talent, no depth...these coaches are playimg the hand they were dealt.

The issues facing Nebraska this season can only be fixed (again, as others have previously memtioned) over time through coaching, development, and recruiting.

2 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Without hearing the way this was said or the context...I’ll admit it sounds like he’s putting it on Chinander. 

The head coach is responsible for his staff and his players. Typically the head coach fields questions about all phases of his team. 

It was absolutely on the players, starting with Davis' 15 yarder from the one yard line.

He was not putting it on Chinander.

We needed one defensive play that series.  One.

Just now, TheSker said:

It was absolutely on the players, starting with Davis' 15 yarder from the one yard line.

He was not putting it on Chinander.

We needed one defensive play that series.  One.

Please understand that I’m not one for firing anyone at this point.  

That being said, the coaches are very culpable in this loss. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, rdg25 said:

For what it's worth, I felt bad for you guys losing this game, even though it was Homecoming.  You were the better team.  You have a talented freshman quarterback and a powerful running back.  You have a defensive lineman name Khalil not Mack.  We have no running game with our star running back permanently retired.  Your fans travel very well and by far the best visiting nice fans (Michigan...ugh) to Evanston.  With the very painful Westerkamp Hail Mary, with this game I'd call it even if I may.  I am a big Nebraska fan the rest of the way, and I gain utmost satisfaction seeing Nebraska beat hated Iowa.  I'm really glad to see Nebraska in the Big 10 (nothing against Rutgers, but...).  Frost will have you winning the West in two years--wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks, but Frost needs to get out his own way and become a head coach