*** Official Northwestern Game Thread ***

Mavric

I was in the stadium and at the start of that last drive I thought it was going to be tied.  If anything NW could just throw up yolo bombs and get DPI called to get down the field. Reminded me of the game at Illinois that Nebraska lost 14-13. The whole time you know the DBs wouldn’t able to cover anyone. I was at that game too. Maybe I just need to stop going to games...:confucius

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

Agreed.

And I think the defense has Frost....and the defensive staff.....beyond frustrated.

And if the defense didn't commit that one stupid roughing the quarterback penalty, I think we'd be celebrating the coming out party for the Husker defense, which played pretty salty, tackled a hell of a lot better, and got some good QB pressure for a change. 

But the team lacks the killer instinct. Both offense and defense had the chance to close out, as they did against Colorado, and they just don't have the stones. I honestly don't think that's a talent issue, it's mental. It's teachable, so I'd like to see more of it very, very soon.  

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And if the defense didn't commit that one stupid roughing the quarterback penalty, I think we'd be celebrating the coming out party for the Husker defense, which played pretty salty, tackled a hell of a lot better, and got some good QB pressure for a change. 

But the team lacks the killer instinct. Both offense and defense had the chance to close out, as they did against Colorado, and they just don't have the stones. I honestly don't think that's a talent issue, it's mental. It's teachable, so I'd like to see more of it very, very soon.  

This. I think once it gets tight they either freeze up mentally or physically. No one wants to be the guy who makes the fatal error. It’d be equivalent to a guy in the ninth inning in baseball on defense thinking to himself “Don’t hit it to me.” then they play in fear and hesitant. it goes all the way to the damn kickers. Good for Pickering for hitting that big FG. He can use that to build on.

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I honestly don't think that's a talent issue, it's mental. It's teachable, so I'd like to see more of it very, very soon.  

I agree in part.....but I realize it's a matter of opinion on a message board.

I think our current coaches are good teachers.

I don't think any of our starting defensive personnel would start for most other B1G teams.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well you can go with a running attack that's been excellent all game, take time off the clock and hope that you bust at least one of those three runs for a first down.

Or you can throw the ball and risk an incomplete pass that will have every armchair Nebraska quarterback wondering why you've lost your mind. 

Frost called a pretty good game. If the defense had held up its end, we'd be spared the second-guessing. 

But the history is the defense is pretty immature and prone to life snuffing penalties and mistakes. 

The coaching staff should be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of this team and on what planet did they ever think the defense could protect our bacon? 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TheSker said:

I think we'll have a top 20 class and the freshmen will stay.

I think Frost is that good of a player's coach.

I agree with you.  The kids Frost and Co are recruiting are recruiting for his vision of NU moving forward.  He's going after character kids (work ethic) as well as kids for his specific scheme.  Kids who can be the heavy weight NT, the speed rusher, the sideline to sideline LB etc....They are being recruited to be the difference makers we are lacking.  I am sure the kids look at our current roster and see that besides Mo, AM and JD, most spots are pretty open.....(I might have missed one, but you get my point).  I am also sure that the recruits are much more knowledgable than the fans are as far as what Frost's ultimate plan is.  Where we see negativity in 0-6, the gamers recruited see opportunity.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well you can go with a running attack that's been excellent all game, take time off the clock and hope that you bust at least one of those three runs for a first down.

Or you can throw the ball and risk an incomplete pass that will have every armchair Nebraska quarterback wondering why you've lost your mind. 

Frost called a pretty good game. If the defense had held up its end, we'd be spared the second-guessing. 

As I've said before, the creativity on those runs was severely lacking. That's where the turtling comes into effect. 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm just an absolute nobody behind a keyboard that watches a s***load of college football. But I would have ran a jet sweep with Spielman on second down. 

I agree though - Frost called a great game. Foster killed a drive with a hold in the first half. And if Pickering had hit that 45 yarder...

14 hours ago, krc1995 said:

But the history is the defense is pretty immature and prone to life snuffing penalties and mistakes. 

The coaching staff should be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of this team and on what planet did they ever think the defense could protect our bacon? 

Agree. I would have gone with a play-action pass on second or third down myself. Just saying that kind of playcalling has been termed "too cute" or "horrible clock management" on this board for the past 10 years. 

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Agree. I would have gone with a play-action pass on second or third down myself. Just saying that kind of playcalling has been termed "too cute" or "horrible clock management" on this board for the past 10 years. 

And if memory serves, didn’t Frost go uptempo at the end of Colorado game when he probably should have tried to eat some clock?  And didn’t he mention post game that being aggressive is his philosophy and how he runs things? Why’d he change? Kind of tells me he’s a bit in over his head at the moment. 

22 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

IMO, this loss is on the staff. I didn't see any boneheaded penalties (other than the false start on 3rd and inches in OT:facepalm:), although the refs made boneheaded calls. There is no excuse for pissing away a 10 point lead with 5 minutes to go. Especially when NW lost the onsides kick.

Davis hitting the QB on the head when you have a 7 point lead a few minutes left in game and have NW trapped on their own one yard line ... for me ... that's as stupid and boneheaded as it comes.  It gave them an automatic first down and moved the ball out to about the 16 yard line or something 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

Davis hitting the QB on the head when you have a 7 point lead a few minutes left in game and have NW trapped on their own one yard line ... for me ... that's as stupid and boneheaded as it comes.

I you watch the replay, he did not hit the QB on the head.  His momentum carried him into the QB, with his arms up, and he hit the QB on the shoulder to keep from running over the QB.

30 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I you watch the replay, he did not hit the QB on the head.  His momentum carried him into the QB, with his arms up, and he hit the QB on the shoulder to keep from running over the QB.

Hmmm, guess Frost saw that differently than you.  It happened.  Bootle's interferences also happened ... or perhaps they didn't.  I'm sure Bottle and Davis are coached differently then these choices and positions they put themselves into.  This is how players lose games.  Coaches are certainly part of the losing as well.  :-(

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Hmmm, guess Frost saw that differently than you.  It happened.  Bootle's interferences also happened ... or perhaps they didn't.  I'm sure Bottle and Davis are coached differently then these choices and positions they put themselves into.  This is how players lose games.  Coaches are certainly part of the losing as well.  :-(

Bootle’s interferences/holding are pretty irrelevant since the guy caught the ball. His bad coverage is what’s relevant, and then not interfering enough to stop the completions.