What did we learn today

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

A negative comment against a coach is not asking to change them.  I'm not going to blindly give this staff a pass because the prodigal son has returned home.  I have said repeatedly Frost gets time. This is Chin's 3rd year a DC in a completely different league.  he gets time to learn.  But just as people are so quick to call out under performing players  and blame it on this or that, why are coaches immune? We are 0-6.  First time ever in 126 seasons.  These same "horrible" players were 4-8 this year and many 0-6 this year....The staff doesn't have any responsability in this.  We wanted to run Mr. $450 out of town, but ST coach gets a pass?  

They have LITERALLY made changes on special teams every week trying to get it right.

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

A negative comment against a coach is not asking to change them.  I'm not going to blindly give this staff a pass because the prodigal son has returned home.  I have said repeatedly Frost gets time. This is Chin's 3rd year a DC in a completely different league.  he gets time to learn.  But just as people are so quick to call out under performing players  and blame it on this or that, why are coaches immune? We are 0-6.  First time ever in 126 seasons.  These same "horrible" players were 4-8 this year and many 0-6 this year....The staff doesn't have any responsability in this.  We wanted to run Mr. $450 out of town, but ST coach gets a pass?  

Well remember last year, there was talent but the coaches sucked.  This year the same players suck but the coaching is better????

• Plus1 1
Just now, PaulCrewe said:

And why can’t you coach them up to get there?????

For a Wistrom I’ll throw you a Tomich.  

I've mentioned this before.  We need both.

Wistrom was a HS blue chipper.  Tomich was developed.

But it wasn't just coaching that got Tomich there.....it was years in the program, including S&C.

Neither Freedom not the Davis twins can suddenly be "coached" up to All Americans.

3 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Well remember last year, there was talent but the coaches sucked.  This year the same players suck but the coaching is better????

Yes.  The coaching is better.

I love watching Ozigbo run. Adrian Martinez is a gamer but he still makes a lot of mistakes. I doubt it would be an issue if everything else was clean, but we needed Martinez to make a few more throws than he made today. Far from his fault that we lost though. Fans were incredible, lots of them and they were LOUD. Some other positives probably but I’m pretty frustrated with this loss and can’t think of them right now.

I mentioned in the game thread that we were undoubtedly the better team. I guess I ended up being an idiot about that but I still think it’s mostly true. But like we found out against Colorado, Troy, Northern Illinois, etc: being mostly the better team doesn’t mean anything. Northwestern onside kick gives us an excellent chance to run out the clock? Nope. We at least punish them by pinning them on the 1, which will guarantee a victory? Nope, even worse. Just can’t do the little things to win a game which means we are a bad team.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I've mentioned this before.  We need both.

Wistrom was a HS blue chipper.  Tomich was developed.

But it wasn't just coaching that got Tomich there.....it was years in the program, including S&C.

Neither Freedom not the Davis twins can suddenly be "coached" up to All Americans.

Yes.  The coaching is better.

But I believe it is a coaches best interest to coach said player up to maximize his potential and put them in positions to succeed on the field.   Do you not agree???

Ozigbo is a beast, and it sucks that his last season as a Husker has to be this bad.  

Our pass defense is only as good as the pressure we get on the QB.  The secondary is a huge liability.

I know Pickering is only a freshman, but I honestly can't recall us ever having such an inaccurate kicker.  

I'm still afraid of Martinez ending up being a slightly better version of T-Mart or Armstrong.  I know he's also only a freshman, but he has a long ways to go as a passer.  A lot of the time our O line doesn't help, but he still has a lot of learning to do.

This team needs to worry more about not beating itself than about beating its opponent (I learned that a long time ago, but today strongly reinforced it).