What did we learn today

Same crap different week. Too many penalties, playcalling is really confusing at times, clock management is abysmal. Can’t wait to hear the same crap this week in the pressers. The team is 0-6, at this point it isn’t on the players solely. This staff needs to accept the blame as it’s becoming evident that they may be over their heads.

• Plus1 2

This was a very disappointing loss.  It had all the feelings of prior losses (even before Frost) of just have the defense make a play to get off the damn field or we are going to lose. :throw

With us up by 10, we just allowed NW to stay on the field with critical 3rd and 4th down conversions.  We did not adjust the defense to win this game.  You have to use the personnel you have.  Maybe this is by design because they are showing new players, potential recruits that we are looking for players to play in this type of defense.  :dunno

We are essentially a window dressing team but the worst team in the Big 10.  AMart, Spielman, Washington, Mo Barry, Morgan Jr are highly skilled players...but that's it folks.  We have to build both sides of the LOS.  The inability to get to the QB is a killer and why we don't get many turnovers or 3 and outs.  :violin

"I liked it when we actually looked for the ball and made INT's......Opposing OC's now know to just throw it up.  You'll get a completion or PI."  I see this across all levels of football.  It is a "garbage man" concept that is 80% of the time worthless.  Just stop coaching this now and we'll get immediate improvement.  Nebraska makes this problem worse by having no pass rush so the QB can just fire it down field and as long as his WR makes a play it is a catch or PI most of the time.  :flush

The late game play calling was poor.  Where is the spreading the football throughout the field?  M. Williams and Woodyard are like non-factors on offense.  Just cover JD and Stan.  Ozigbo is earning it out there...props to him.  Maurice Washington is my new favorite player as we need play makers and he shows that he is one and has the heart to match the skill.   :wub:

I know we don't have a lot of the players needed but this is a horrendous showing for the staff.  0-6?  Worst should have been 3-3 or 2-4.  I am concerned our coaches are just used to scoring so fast that they don't know how to coach in critical situations when the games are tight.  UCF had the play makers to keep the foot on the gas 100% of the time and their competition was easier.  With Oregon they could always score and I recall they had some bad defenses in Eugene but were covered up by sheer ability to put up points.  We have none of this so it's like both our players and coaches don't know how to win.  :hmmph  I guess we just continue to lose to try to stick with the scheme we know as ultimately we will have to perfect that system and get the right players to win in it.  So while maybe we could have a couple of wins if we made the right calls and adjustments it's like we are resigned to just doing the same thing week in and week out until we improve.  That is one way to go about it but the most painful and gets you 0-6.  In sort of a sick way there is an argument that we try to get better at our ultimate long-term goal in the system we are installing but at the same time you have to take the heat of being winless in the meantime. 

Poor execution, missed PAT cost us the game, snapping the ball on the ground cemented the loss.  Penalties still...really?  Get your s#it together.  Talk is cheap.  dedhoarse

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

. This staff needs to accept the blame as it’s becoming evident that they may be over their heads.

There’s not a staff in the country that would not be in over thier heads. This was a massive undertaking.  Most legiti staffs wouldn’t have been willing to even take it on. Scott and Co are handling it perfectly in 95% of the situations. Surely they deserve a bit of a pass for a scarce misfire here and there?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

But I believe it is a coaches best interest to coach said player up to maximize his potential and put them in positions to succeed on the field.   Do you not agree???

Of course.

I think our coaches absolutely do that.

The greatest "schemer" in college football isn't going to improve our current personnel.

3 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

There’s not a staff in the country that would not be in over thier heads. This was a massive undertaking.  Most legiti staffs wouldn’t have been willing to even take it on. Scott and Co are handling it perfectly in 95% of the situations. Surely they deserve a bit of a pass for a scarce misfire here and there?

0-6 isn’t a scarce misfire here and there. This is the worst season in 129 years of Nebraska football.

• Plus1 4

4 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

0-6 isn’t a scarce misfire here and there. This is the worst season in 129 years of Nebraska football.

Good point, but things are trending in the right direction. This is the first game this season we were in a position to win. We should have won. We didn’t, but we have never been closer. That’s how things go with a crap rebuild. Nobody, staff or players, has phoned in the season yet. Everybody remains hungry. Hungry and weak, but much better than complacent and weak which is where we were. If we can keep everybody hungry, losses like this stop happening. 

1.  Our pass defense is bad. Period.

2.  Big officials reached a new low for sucking.  Not so much for our penalties, but the egregious lack of NW’s. Was at game. Northwestern held all day long. It’s bad folks. I don’t know if it’s Delaney, whoever’s in charge of officiating for the conference, or maybe the refs today are the dumbest people on the planet. 

3.  HCSF.  I love that he’s our coach, but he didn’t call his best game today, IMO. 

4.  The Oline , gave Martinez time to throw a lot, but choked when it mattered most. 

5. This team needs a killer instinct. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Husker03 said:

Good point, but things are trending in the right direction. This is the first game this season we were in a position to win. We should have won. We didn’t, but we have never been closer. That’s how things go with a crap rebuild. Nobody, staff or players, has phoned in the season yet. Everybody remains hungry. Hungry and weak, but much better than complacent and weak which is where we were. If we can keep everybody hungry, losses like this stop happening. 

We were in position to win the CU game as well. Luckily I drink heavily on Saturdays or my furniture would be torn apart. 

I learned that for all the talk from fans about the players "quitting" it is these fans who have quit on the team.

Yeah, we're 0-6.  Yeah, it sucks.  But, this was the first time this season (pretty sure any way) we had a lead going into the 4th Q.  Results aren't showing by wins, but this is actually getting better.

Right now Frost and these coaches are trying to win with one phase of the game--offense.  They are east of the rock and west of the hard place.  They have to play the hand they were dealt.  We have no depth to speak of on both interior lines and aside from Stoltenberg and the Davis twins, no one really else who is capable on defense.  The punt return game is non-existent, we can't block anyone seemingly on kickoffs, and on defense we just can't stop anyone.

To all you arm chair experts calling for Chinader to be fired, give me a f'ing break.  He is doing the best he can with what he has.  Now, if this is the type of product we're seeing in year 3 on defense...then we can talk about maybe bringing in a new DC.

Plus, you guys have to keep in mind how many DCs and DB coaches we've had in the last 6-7 years.  That is tough for players--a lot tougher than you would ever imagine.

I know it doesn't look like it, but this team did vet a little better today.  Yeah the loss sucks, but I am seeing some really good and positive steps in the right direction.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2