What did we learn today

54 minutes ago, lo country said:

That reminds me of what Beck used to do.  Thinking they will adjust to stop us, so I will change so their adjustments to stop us won't work.   Or to coin  phrase he often used "Sometimes I try and get to cute"...

Make them stop us.  Don't stop ourselves.  It's a dirty word, so I'll say it quietly.  coaching.......

Don't say it quietly: coaching lost this game. Frost and his staff are woefully underwhelming, and this rebuild will keep getting longer and longer until they mature. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I learned that for all the talk from fans about the players "quitting" it is these fans who have quit on the team.

I don't think so.  Despite much venting for another loss I think the crowd that showed up in Evanston today was probably the highlight of the day.  Well done, fans.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

We were in position to win the CU game as well. Luckily I drink heavily on Saturdays or my furniture would be torn apart. 

We weren’t really in a position to win that game ever. From falling behind out of the gate to still being behind expecting a walk on sophomore back up qb with a week of back up reps under his belt to lead a comeback..... I’ll just say, we were never in a position to win. 

Real defensive issues persist, and it’s not just scheme. But everyone knows this and it is what it is.  And if you the coach and you have a 7 point lead with-maybe 2:30 left to play- and you decide to get ultra conservative and don’t even try to get a first down- well then this loss is deserved and you need to own it and not blame the dc 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

I guess I learned that you can dump piss out of a boot and tell the person it's falling on that it's rain and some of them will actually believe you.  That's all I got from today, oh, and that we won't win but maybe one or two games this year  One win would be a fluke but it will take a legitimate miracle to get two.

12 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

I think this thing is going to turn around but Scott has probably cost us 2-3 games with his in game coaching. That should've been a win.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. I didn't think SF would be the type of coach to play call to not lose (which often results in losing). He's been undressed the past 3 weeks. Michigan was understandable. 

On the fortunate side, I do think he'll get us where we want to be. But at least for this year, I can't put the losses 100% on player talent or football IQ. 

56 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I learned you can't scheme Freedom Akinmoladun to be Grant Wistrom.

You actually have to recruit Grant Wistrom instead.

You hit the nail on the head.  We don't have NFL roster or even NFL practice squad material right now.  We haven't had that for years now and this why we couldn't compete then will not now.  

This staff needs to get busy recruiting Wistrom like players and then I think we are a different program.  Luckily Dr. Tom got to take over for a legend and got talent from the start or he wouldn't have been Dr Tom, 3 time National champion with our mentality towards this program and its staff's we have had since.  Knee jerk reactions have put us in this situation, and they won't bring us out of them.  Even if Frost is not the answer long term, he is the answer short term and we at least need to give him time to recruit his players for his schemes.  Then, if the  guy can't get things done, move forward.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

We weren’t really in a position to win that game ever. From falling behind out of the gate to still being behind expecting a walk on sophomore back up qb with a week of back up reps under his belt to lead a comeback..... I’ll just say, we were never in a position to win. 

We were in the lead with a minute left to play. But OK I don't want to die on this hill. 

• Plus1 2

Most of this game was better than any game we've played this season. We, the players AND the coaches, still found a way to lose. Literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. 

We played well enough to have a 14-point lead and then immediately gave up a long TD. We played well enough to have a 10-point lead in the 4th quarter, then crumbled and lost in OT. 

In OT, we had a 3rd & 1 (which we were picking up much easier today), and a lineman gets called for false start. We had a 4th & 1 and Farmer rolls the ball back to Martinez. Pickering missed another FG that would've made OT more unlikely. Martinez was strip sacked, that went for a TD. All of those reasons are way this team is 0-6 instead of 1-5 and why this team is 0-6 instead of 3-3. It comes down to the right mix of coaching and personnel. When it's right, it looks great - it looked great against Wisconsin and it looked great against Northwestern today. 

The focus HAS to be on improving the defense, either through scheme or personnel. I think the offense will be able to do enough more times than not. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I learned I'm still jealous of Florida's rapid turnaround.

Sue me.

I am, too. I'm not sure the transition as Florida is as drastic as the transition at Nebraska though. 

Drunk Rambling: Positive reinforcement is good but doesn't take hold as quickly as negative reinforcement. Scott is very positive, his mantra is no fear of failure. Chip Kelly taught him this. Chip and Scott are a combined 0-11 with their teams at present. 

Bo was a negative reinforcement guy. He turned things around immediately but never progressed from there. I think the future is bright with Scott,  but we need to eat the -hit sandwich this season. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

Drunk Rambling: Positive reinforcement is good but doesn't take hold as quickly as negative reinforcement. Scott is very positive, his mantra is no fear of failure. Chip Kelly taught him this. Chip and Scott are a combined 0-11 with their teams at present. 

Bo was a negative reinforcement guy. He turned things around immediately but never progressed from there. I think the future is bright with Scott,  but we need to eat the -hit sandwich this season. 

Couldn't agree more.  Yeah this season is a dumpster fire no doubt about it.  The weird thing is, I am seeing positive steps and the team as a whole is getting better--just don't have any wins right now to show for it.

• Plus1 1