What did we learn today

8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

It's moreso the lack of creativity. Calling inside zone twice, then a sweep with Spielman? No ZR/Dart? The playcalling reeked of Bill Callahan-era turtling. 

Yeah, the plays calls on 1st and 2nd down were not good. Plunging Ozigbo into the line where there were 8 NW defenders wasn’t going to get it done. Frost froze up in that series, and he wasn’t creative in getting a needed first down. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Im not on the coaching staff but if I was id play to win and not to not lose like we did in the 4th quarter. Maybe go under center on 4th and short instead of shotgun. Farmer has had issues in every game he has played at center with wild snaps. Do we even have a QB sneak play to get an inch? Maybe try and get a first down with the ball in our own territory to clinch the game instead of juat running three plays right up the middle. Maybe a swing pass to JD in space. Its a high percentage pass and has worked multiple times this season. 

NU went under center a few times today. The first time it worked on the goal line. The last time it was a near disaster on a bad snap but Farmer. Luckily Washington made a great play and got a first down out of it. 

37 minutes ago, Redux said:

I learned there is only so much I can take.  I'm done with this season, I truly don't care how it goes from here.  I haven't been this angry in probably 5 years over this team losing.

I am pretty much done as well but in a different way, I am not angry about it anymore.  I am just sort of like "whatever" about it.

Frost has a blank checkbook and I hope he uses it where he feels (if he really looks objectively) it is needed.

I would follow what Harbaugh, Sweeney and a few others have done...simply put go and get the best DC that money can buy.

I would also examine if I have weak recruiters on my staff, I don't know if they do or not but if they do, they need to be replaced.  People sort of liked ripping on that DB coach last year (he is at Oregon now) but he can recruit.  You need stud recruiters and I strongly believe your staff should be made of of at least 3 stud recruiters.  I think you need a young one, you need a "faith" one and you need an "I can get you to the NFL" one.

2 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Ozigbo is a beast, and it sucks that his last season as a Husker has to be this bad.  

Our pass defense is only as good as the pressure we get on the QB.  The secondary is a huge liability.

I know Pickering is only a freshman, but I honestly can't recall us ever having such an inaccurate kicker.  

I'm still afraid of Martinez ending up being a slightly better version of T-Mart or Armstrong.  I know he's also only a freshman, but he has a long ways to go as a passer.  A lot of the time our O line doesn't help, but he still has a lot of learning to do.

This team needs to worry more about not beating itself than about beating its opponent (I learned that a long time ago, but today strongly reinforced it).

Honestly, I'm not sure what game you watched.  Of course the OL could be better, but they did open up.some nice holes for Oz to run through and they did provide Adrian Martinez time to throw most times.  Sure there were mistakes, but things are getting better.

I am encouraged even though this was a tough loss to witness in person.  The front 4 played decent run d today but put practically zero pressure on Thorson.  Freedom was gassed literally a few plays into the start of the 3rd quarter.  Hands on his hips on the sideline even as well as on the field.  Then there is the pass coverage if you want to call it that.  Aaron Williams, Bootle.  Their PI calls and coverage were sad to watch.  Letting NW drive 99 frickin yards on only 8 plays and they are not a quick strike offense.  Nebraska had that game.  The W was their's.  So many things need fixed defensively.  Zig looked good today and def had some holes so I was happier with the offensive line but #28 needs to be the back imo and needs to be the guy getting the majority of touches.   

We almost had the W today over a NW team that lost by 3 to Michigan and beat Michigan State.  There's simply still too many holes on this particular team that need to be refilled entirely imo but that is going to take time obv and attrition.  

Can't believe some people are done watching Nebraska this season.  I don't see how you expect great things from a team that obviously has some players who quite simply lack the talent needed (and with others the experience) to turn this thing around and as quick as some people think it should happen.  Even at 0-6 I'm still stoked about our future and about Husker football.

GBR.  

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Im curious about something. Do people genuinely think that the coaches just dont know to tell DBs to turn around and play the ball and you are some kind of football genius for realizing it? 

Yeah, it's weird.

Dedrick Young partially atoned for his sins in the Purdue game by manning up on a receiver in the end zone today. He broke up the would-be touchdown with his a**...but if he actually turns around, it's an interception.

There's probably a half dozen guys that really aren't worthy of that red 'N' on their helmet on the defensive side of the ball and would have only been on the scout team even under Solich...but they're not "0-6 bad." They need to get coached up. Doesn't really seem to be happening.

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am pretty much done as well but in a different way, I am not angry about it anymore.  I am just sort of like "whatever" about it.

Frost has a blank checkbook and I hope he uses it where he feels (if he really looks objectively) it is needed.

I would follow what Harbaugh, Sweeney and a few others have done...simply put go and get the best DC that money can buy.

I would also examine if I have weak recruiters on my staff, I don't know if they do or not but if they do, they need to be replaced.  People sort of liked ripping on that DB coach last year (he is at Oregon now) but he can recruit.  You need stud recruiters and I strongly believe your staff should be made of of at least 3 stud recruiters.  I think you need a young one, you need a "faith" one and you need an "I can get you to the NFL" one.

Havent we been hiring and firing everyone for a decade here. Isnt it time we just see what a little bit of continuity will do. Im actually not being sarcastic, I honestly dont know the answer.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, dspanther05 said:

Havent we been hiring and firing everyone for a decade here. Isnt it time we just see what a little bit of continuity will do. Im actually not being sarcastic, I honestly dont know the answer.

I’m with you. I don’t think firing a bunch of assistants will do any good this offseason.  I’m not saying Chinander is great, but NU can’t go to the 4th DC in 4 years just because.