What did we learn today

7 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

We learned that we are LIGHTYEARS away from Michigan and Ohio State. 

We also learned that that it might not only be the players that are at fault...the coaches have a lot of explaining to do.

i am seriously questioning the decision to start ANDREW MARTINEZ over Gebbia..Frost has put a lot on the shoulders of an 18 year old who did not play his senior year in high school. I am not blaming AM. He is doing very good considering the situation he was put in but may be starting Gebbia would have sent a different message to the players who left our team.

Yeah I have no idea what games you are watching, if you are blaming the season on Adrian Martinez. The guy is a stud, and he flat out beat your Riley Golden Boy. 

Now that I've had time to calm down, this team is light years beyond last year. I know the overall record doesn't indicate it but we are better at every position, either by new blood or old heads stepping up.

Part of the fault I find is that I went into the season thinking Frost would be a magic wand to the issues plaguing this team, but there are far too many holes to patch all at once.  We all knew we had issues with the culture of the program and that seems to be getting fixed. We all knew the Oline wasn't clutch last year; our dline could not get a pass rush; our corners and safeties can be atrocious in coverage; and our defense overall isn't clutch (no excuse for not getting off the field when there was long yardage). With all that being said we should have won that game, and some of that lies with coaches.

If A.Williams can't cover that guy don't put him in man coverage; if ozigbo is getting the job done don't sub him out; if your run game is going then don't put the game on your young quarterback; if you have a scholarship kicker whose only responsible for kickoffs then pull his scholly (what a waste); and if you have a lineman who is notorious for getting personal fouls at the wrong time don't put him in the game.

I hope as Frost rights the ship he points the thumb and holds himself accountable, meanwhile, I know at least for myself, stop expecting great things from a team that starts a vast majority of players who weren't great last year. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah I have no idea what games you are watching, if you are blaming the season on Adrian Martinez. The guy is a stud, and he flat out beat your Riley Golden Boy. 

Again, as usual, you are misinterpreting what I said. I am not blaming AM and I know he is doing his best, however, you can’t deny that Frost has put the games on his shoulders and he is an 18 year old. He might be better than Gebbia in OUR practices but real games are different. Plus, Gebbia leaving started an exodus because other players felt that Frost gave up on them. Had he played Gebbia in a couple of games, may be we would have had different results and more buy in from other players. After seeing the horrible decision making from the coaches today, I started to question their choices. And Gebbia was never my golden boy but I am just questioning the way all this was handled.

5 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Again, as usual, you are misinterpreting what I said. I am not blaming AM and I know he is doing his best, however, you can’t deny that Frost has put the games on his shoulders and he is an 18 year old. He might be better than Gebbia in OUR practices but real games are different. Plus, Gebbia leaving started an exodus because other players felt that Frost gave up on them. Had he played Gebbia in a couple of games, may be we would have had different results and more buy in from other players. After seeing the horrible decision making from the coaches today, I started to question their choices. And Gebbia was never my golden boy but I am just questioning the way all this was handled.

This is the weirdest a$$ thing anyone has focused on up to now. Really, what games are you watching to even think it’s a factor? And if anyone left or played less hard because Gebbia wasn’t chosen, they were already destined to suck.

• Plus1 5
5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This is the weirdest a$$ thing anyone has focused on up to now. Really, what games are you watching to even think it’s a factor? And if anyone left or played less hard because Gebbia wasn’t chosen, they were already destined to suck.

Obviously you are one of those Gods who knows everything so no point arguing with you. So, you want to convince me that the coaches have made the absolute right decisions all season thus far, yet we are still at 0-6. According to your reasoning, we were distant to be 0-6 regardless. Right?

14 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

So Gebbia was owed the starting job because he was the older guy and liked by his teammates?  It took 1 quarter for me to realize why Martinez won the QB job. If Martinez was showing the entire team he was the better Qb in the entire fall camp, they would be more upset with the 2nd best player getting the job, just due to seniority.

The coaches had a bad 4th quarter, which cost the team the game. I don’t know if that bad quarter should make you question every decision they have made in running the team.  

26 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

We dont play mostly power teams. Just looking at this years schedule proves that isnt true.

Teams that matter in the Big 10.  Iowa, Wisky, Michigan, Penn St, and Ohio St all can line up and run the ball.  Physical teams with good lines on both sides of the ball.

Sure other teams we have played and will play are all not power teams.  Long term, I expect to be gauging ourselves based on Wisky, Iowa Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St, not Troy St or Northwestern.

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Teams that matter in the Big 10.  Iowa, Wisky, Michigan, Penn St, and Ohio St all can line up and run the ball.  Physical teams with good lines on both sides of the ball.

Sure other teams we have played and will play are all not power teams.  Long term, I expect to be gauging ourselves based on Wisky, Iowa Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St, not Troy St or Northwestern.

You cab be a spread team and be physical several of the teams you just listed are. Penn state and ohio state both spread shotgun teams. Michigan is very multiple this year as well. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So Gebbia was owed the starting job because he was the older guy and liked by his teammates?  It took 1 quarter for me to realize why Martinez won the QB job. If Martinez was showing the entire team he was the better Qb in the entire fall camp, they would be more upset with the 2nd best player getting the job, just due to seniority.

The coaches had a bad 4th quarter, which cost the team the game. I don’t know if that bad quarter should make you question every decision they have made in running the team.  

To be honest with you, I am so frustrated and dejected after today’s game that I started to question everything. Imagine, Liberty beat Troy who beat us. We are 0-6 and we don’t seem to get out of our own way. We continue to pile on the penalties on every crucial moment of the game including in OT. Our players beat themselves all the time. Our special teams are anything but special. We do not have a kicker. We just replaced our punter. We can never go after a punt or block a kick, and every time we make a positive play on special teams, it is negated by a STUPID penalty. When you see this in six games, doesn’t that make you question the decision making and the ability of these coaches to fix the mistakes! Just an honest question.

1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

To be honest with you, I am so frustrated and dejected after today’s game that I started to question everything. Imagine, Liberty beat Troy who beat us. We are 0-6 and we don’t seem to get out of our own way. We continue to pile on the penalties on every crucial moment of the game including in OT. Our players beat themselves all the time. Our special teams are anything but special. We do not have a kicker. We just replaced our punter. We can never go after a punt or block a kick, and every time we make a positive play on special teams, it is negated by a STUPID penalty. When you see this in six games, doesn’t that make you question the decision making and the ability of these coaches to fix the mistakes! Just an honest question.

We are all frustrated. I just don’t get where you are coming from with your comments.  The coaches aren’t blameless, but this season has been a cluster-eff from the opening kickoff in the Akron game. There are roster problems, and the coaches are learning that the Big Ten is more difficult than the AAC. I  have said that this week’s loss is the worst loss of the season. NU was the better team for most of the game, until the game was on the line. I can’t explain why.  I think some people are trying to explain why. Maybe that’s what you are doing. However, this season didn’t come down to Martinez being named the QB over Gebbia. If that led to players leaving and other players not buying in, then those players aren’t good for the long-term success of the program. 

• Fire 1