What did we learn today

One thing I notice about posters complaining about Adrian Martinez, is that they want to go back and compare his passing ability to Taylor Martinez or Tommy Armstrong.  Adrian doesn't look anything like those two (and Taylor Martinez put up huge passing numbers his junior season).  Meanwhile, Tanner Lee had much worse passing statistics last year, and he was a pro-style, statue QB who couldn't do anything in the run game.  It seems to me that people still have a bias against mobile QB's, think they can't be both good passers and good runners, so they go back to tired comparisons to former NU QB's who a lot of people think weren't very good passing QB's.  Meanwhile, if you look at QB's that Frost has recruited and worked with in his career, they are very effective passers and runners.  I am talking about Marcus Mariota, Vernon Adams, Justin Herbert, and McKenzie Milton.  I just don't get the bias against mobile QB's.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Then it would make sense for him to be the ILB that stays in the nickel coverage at the end of the game.  I agree that Young wasn't the problem yesterday.  The secondary was atrocious.

FWIW, Pro Football Focus gave Young an overall grade of 82.1 yesterday.  Barry got a 73.8.

Young's grade was the highest on the defense.  

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

One thing I notice about posters complaining about Adrian Martinez, is that they want to go back and compare his passing ability to Taylor Martinez or Tommy Armstrong.  Adrian doesn't look anything like those two (and Taylor Martinez put up huge passing numbers his junior season).  Meanwhile, Tanner Lee had much worse passing statistics last year, and he was a pro-style, statue QB who couldn't do anything in the run game.  It seems to me that people still have a bias against mobile QB's, think they can't be both good passers and good runners, so they go back to tired comparisons to former NU QB's who a lot of people think weren't very good passing QB's.  Meanwhile, if you look at QB's that Frost has recruited and worked with in his career, they are very effective passers and runners.  I am talking about Marcus Mariota, Vernon Adams, Justin Herbert, and McKenzie Milton.  I just don't get the bias against mobile QB's.

I have a bias against Adrian's pocket passing because I just watched him overthrow guys a bunch of times and have watched the offense turn into a mess when he's in the pocket. His stats look pretty good and much of what causes the mess is not his fault, so maybe I just have a problem with pocket passing in general and favor the quick passing and open field running spread offense that I've seen us run a few times only to watch us revert to what we do worst.
With that said, it's the defense....if that's what you call it.

6 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

I learned that we bench our best player and leader on defense when the game is on the line. 

Starting with the CO game, I noticed that we bring Mo Barry off of the field on what seems to be passing downs. I cannot say it's 100% of the time, but I remember the broadcasters talking about a good play he made on 2nd down, they kept the camera on him after the play and then he left the field on 3rd & long. CO went on to convert that 3rd & long. I told one of my kids that we are stupid for taking our best defender out. Against NW, I saw him leave the field again on 3rd & long. Unless Barry is just flat horrible on 3rd & long situations, that's a poor decision by the coaches. Take your top defender & leader off the field at a critical time; where's the logic in that??? Barry is not a one-man show, but he can't be worse than any other choice to-date, and its no wonder that teams continually and frustratingly convert 3rd & long against the Barry-less defense.         

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I spent 20 minutes this morning trying to convince myself to become an LSU fan. It would be so easy. I’ve lived in Louisiana for 10+ years, everyone I know is an LSU Super-fans andantes are alumni, I would be included in casual conversations, I could go to home games, I could feel winning again, I would have something common with my neighbors. 

But it I just can’t. The thought makes me so sick I’d rather just not watch football. Maybe I like the whoa is me attitude and I certainly look terrible in purple so this program is stuck with me. 

Feel you bro. No matter what, even after 10 straight losses, I bleed scarlet and cream, and live and die with every play. Some of it's the Nebraska in me. Losing or failing just doesn't cut it, and work needs to be done to put it right, dadgummit. 

Another part is all the other fan bases (and my family in Texas) crapping on us while we're down.  I just want the Huskers to be dominant and shut these people up. 

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Feel you bro. No matter what, even after 10 straight losses, I bleed scarlet and cream, and live and die with every play. Some of it's the Nebraska in me. Losing or failing just doesn't cut it, and work needs to be done to put it right, dadgummit. 

Another part is all the other fan bases (and my family in Texas) crapping on us while we're down.  I just want the Huskers to be dominant and shut these people up. 

I think you sum it up for any Nebraska fan.  Tried to explain the passion to my co-workers.  They just don't get it.  

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think you sum it up for any Nebraska fan.  Tried to explain the passion to my co-workers.  They just don't get it.  

Nebraska natives don't have anything else to turn to when the Huskers (well, Husker football) fail.  No other big sports teams as Texans do or Californians or Floridians or where ever.  

Nebraska football is it, it's the state identity.  Likely unique in the country.  

I'm not from here but I've been here long enough to get it (since '88, before many fans here were born).  When the Huskers fail I have my other two college teams and the pro team that I grew up with.  So I don't get stabbed in the heart like my wife and her family do, them being natives here.  But I see it and I'm compassionate to understand and root and cry for better play calling and better performance so we can go home with a less than heavy heart as we file out of that great old stadium.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

Nebraska natives don't have anything else to turn to when the Huskers (well, Husker football) fail.  No other big sports teams as Texans do or Californians or Floridians or where ever.  

Nebraska football is it, it's the state identity.  Likely unique in the country.  

I'm not from here but I've been here long enough to get it (since '88, before many fans here were born).  When the Huskers fail I have my other two college teams and the pro team that I grew up with.  So I don't get stabbed in the heart like my wife and her family do, them being natives here.  But I see it and I'm compassionate to understand and root and cry for better play calling and better performance so we can go home with a less than heavy heart as we file out of that great old stadium.

Two other college teams?  Sports bigamist. 

• Plus1 3

27 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Two other college teams?  Sports bigamist. 

I went to both the others and earned degrees from them.   But Nebraska is the only school I routinely, annually contribute to (rather heavily now to keep tickets and parking for us).  I'm a Husker!  But I have two other beloved schools that have teams I follow.. but Husker red is all I wear.

4 hours ago, Hayseed said:

We make our QBs bigger than they are. I think Adrian's a great mobile QB, so-so pocket passer. He makes plays and finishes drives much better when he moves and is a threat to run. He's a heck of a lot like TMart. I think I'd prefer to have both Ozigbo and Washington in the backfield at the same time running our spread offense....Washington as a wingback or lining up on the line and Ozigbo a threat to go up the middle. With our lousy line I'd be okay with two blockers spreading out wide forcing the D to follow them.

I like that idea. Especially when you can get Washington isolated in the flat with a LB covering him. 

Its a a huge mismatch, and should be a relatively easy throw for Adrian. 

28 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

I went to both the others and earned degrees from them.   But Nebraska is the only school I routinely, annually contribute to (rather heavily now to keep tickets and parking for us).  I'm a Husker!  But I have two other beloved schools that have teams I follow.. but Husker red is all I wear.

Other colleges attended allow for the exception. 

• Plus1 1

I learned that Nebraska, UTSA, and San Jose St. are the only winless teams in FBS. What a great company we are in? And to think, not long ago, we were not happy with nine wins. I am hoping that Frost figures things out soon and starts recruiting the right players for his scheme or we will end up a punching bag for the BIG for a long time. At this point, we just need to give Frost all the time he needs to get this done and support him, because running coaches from Lincoln has not got us anything but a team with absolutely no identity what so ever. The damage that has been done since Frank Solich was fired will require more than a couple of years to reverse. Building a winning culture takes time and we are at a point now where we need to learn how to win a game before we can have consistency in performance. From his press conferences, I can see that Frost is a competitor and wants to win as much as all of us want our beloved Huskers to win but he needs to find a right balance between the right players and COACHES.