What did we learn today

Just now, Mavric said:

Perhaps you should take a breath, learn to laugh at yourself a little bit and take an extra second to question whether the guy breaking records (in a good way) is really the guy who should be the guy you're questioning if he should be playing.

I had a guy on Twitter reply to me that Martinez was having a “meh” game against Northwestern. Yeah, because he’s supposed to get 400 yards total offense every game. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

How can you be certain that if Gebbia started the first game, things would not be different? Did you see that in an alternate universe! 

Again, and for the millionth time, Adrian Martinez is a stud and he will be our future and he will definitely get better as the season goes on. All I have been wondering is if it was the right decision to put so much pressure on an 18 year old to win the Games for us when our defense is so bad. Giving Gebbia a chance might have taken any doubts away. That is all I am saying. 

So putting that pressure on a 19-year old redshirt freshman is totally ok?  The biggest reason NU was in some of the games is due to Martinez. The thought that Gebbia should have been the starter is laughable. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Again, you don’t know that. People surprise you. 

Your reasoning why Gebbia should have been named the starter is what is so questionable. The way the defense and the o-line has played, that’s going to put a lot of pressure on the QB. That would be true for a 18-year old in Martinez, and a 19-year old in Gebbia. 

Remember when Florida wanted Scott Frost but didn't want him to have all his assistants?  I'm a patient guy and fully support the coaching staff but the pressure is going to ratchet up on certain assistants next year if some of the same undisciplined behavior continues.  It will be interesting to see if CEO Frost will have to make those decisions.  I hope things improve enough to make a giant leap next year.  I feel bad for guys like Stanley and Devine with no bowl game or anything to play for but the team and personal pride.  I hope none of this hurts Stan's draft stock.  This was the worst one-dimensional FBS offense they will play all year, it's just disheartening to see Isaac's punt wasted after a little improvement this game for the D.  Building blocks of the L on that and dumb penalties at the worst possible time, a super-conservative last drive that only wasted 15 seconds, a missed PAT, among just plain bad luck on not getting at least one grounding call on Thorson or wrapping him up and taking him to the ground.  If I was Jamaican I would say someone has dabbled in the Obeah, or from New Orleans worried somebody had put gris-gris on the steps at Memorial Stadium before the season.  This team needs a win in the worst way to boost morale and stop being the butt of sports media jokes.  Since Chip won today, it's only going to grow the spotlight on the negative.  

Look, this is a lost season; of that everyone is certain. However, there is something to be said for some of these kids being on their 3rd, 4th, sometimes even 5th coach. Trust is built through continuity; and getting rid of any of these guys after one season won't do anything to help bring this thing back to where it belongs. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Frost is going to take a few years longer than I expected to right the ship.  See what Matt Campbell is doing at Iowa State with much less talent.  ISU is starting their 3rd string QB.  No excuse not to finish with at least 6 wins.

The Refs suck.  We aren't going to get the calls to go our way this season.  For whatever reason, the refs think we are an undisciplined team and are nailing us at even the slightest things.  They are obviously talking to each other about us.  Martinez slides and gets hit late & it is a no call, but we get nailed in the endzone on the last drive.  A lot of ticky tacky PIs.  64 passes and no holds against them?

11 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Frost is going to take a few years longer than I expected to right the ship.  See what Matt Campbell is doing at Iowa State with much less talent.  ISU is starting their 3rd string QB.  No excuse not to finish with at least 6 wins.

The Refs suck.  We aren't going to get the calls to go our way this season.  For whatever reason, the refs think we are an undisciplined team and are nailing us at even the slightest things.  They are obviously talking to each other about us.  Martinez slides and gets hit late & it is a no call, but we get nailed in the endzone on the last drive.  A lot of ticky tacky PIs.  64 passes and no holds against them?

Much less talent at Iowa State? The ‘17 class is giving Frost little to nothing. The prior classes spent 3-4 years not working hard and becoming ok with losing. I’m not saying Frost is blameless, but the thoughts that Frost walked into a great situation are not true. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Hasn't the recruiting classes in the last 4 years been top 30 each time? We should be doing better than 0-6.

I agree that we should be better than 0-6, but we aren’t. But don’t confuse that with a ton of talent on the team. Do you see any talent on defense? I don’t. The top 30 classes that Riley brought in werent asked to work hard and many of them have left.  Other than Ozigbo, Spielman, and Morgan, are there guys from previous classes doing any good on offense?  Yes, NU should have 2-3 wins so far and the Northwestern loss today was inexcusable, but let’s stop pretending like the team has a lot of talent on the roster. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that we should be better than 0-6, but we aren’t. But don’t confuse that with a ton of talent on the team. Do you see any talent on defense? I don’t. The top 30 classes that Riley brought in werent asked to work hard and many of them have left.  Other than Ozigbo, Spielman, and Morgan, are there guys from previous classes doing any good on offense?  Yes, NU should have 2-3 wins so far and the Northwestern loss today was inexcusable, but let’s stop pretending like the team has a lot of talent on the roster. 

Gifford is damn good. As is Barry. The Davis twins are still athletic but undisciplined. The secondary is basically Jekyll & Hyde at this point - they get burned too frequently. 

I learned the refs still suck.

And we've all known this program has been fundamentally broken culturally for a long, long time. Today it just happened to blow up in our faces. Again.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1