What did we learn today

Just now, Clifford Franklin said:

Gifford is damn good. As is Barry. The Davis twins are still athletic but undisciplined. The secondary is basically Jekyll & Hyde at this point - they get burned too frequently. 

I learned the refs still suck.

And we've all known this program has been fundamentally broken culturally for a long, long time. Today it just happened to blow up in our faces. Again.

I will give you Barry, but until Northwestern Gifford had been pretty average this year. He’s not a great pass rusher (his sacks the past 2 games where a result of the QB holding onto the ball super long). I give him credit for his TFL’s today though. 

54 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Remember when Florida wanted Scott Frost but didn't want him to have all his assistants?  I'm a patient guy and fully support the coaching staff but the pressure is going to ratchet up on certain assistants next year if some of the same undisciplined behavior continues.  It will be interesting to see if CEO Frost will have to make those decisions.  I hope things improve enough to make a giant leap next year.  I feel bad for guys like Stanley and Devine with no bowl game or anything to play for but the team and personal pride.  I hope none of this hurts Stan's draft stock.  This was the worst one-dimensional FBS offense they will play all year, it's just disheartening to see Isaac's punt wasted after a little improvement this game for the D.  Building blocks of the L on that and dumb penalties at the worst possible time, a super-conservative last drive that only wasted 15 seconds, a missed PAT, among just plain bad luck on not getting at least one grounding call on Thorson or wrapping him up and taking him to the ground.  If I was Jamaican I would say someone has dabbled in the Obeah, or from New Orleans worried somebody had put gris-gris on the steps at Memorial Stadium before the season.  This team needs a win in the worst way to boost morale and stop being the butt of sports media jokes.  Since Chip won today, it's only going to grow the spotlight on the negative.  

Wall of words. Jesus. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I will give you Barry, but until Northwestern Gifford had been pretty average this year. He’s not a great pass rusher (his sacks the past 2 games where a result of the QB holding onto the ball super long). I give him credit for his TFL’s today though. 

Do they use Gifford as more of a pass rusher? I just really like him as a guy flying around out there making plays. But that's judging him more as a traditional LB than a pure pass rusher. 

Ultimately though your point is well taken. I think we're seriously lacking in both talent and depth at most positions right now. The defense as a whole has fallen apart and the offensive line hasn't been good enough to make up for all our other problems on offense. For Frost's quip about not calling the defense today, his offensive playcalling has been pretty dang weird at times too.

1 minute ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Do they use Gifford as more of a pass rusher? I just really like him as a guy flying around out there making plays. But that's judging him more as a traditional LB than a pure pass rusher. 

Ultimately though your point is well taken. I think we're seriously lacking in both talent and depth at most positions right now. The defense as a whole has fallen apart and the offensive line hasn't been good enough to make up for all our other problems on offense. For Frost's quip about not calling the defense today, his offensive playcalling has been pretty dang weird at times too.

I agree with you on the play calling. Frost hasn’t found much rhythm in calling plays this year. I don’t think he has much trust in a number of players, so that gets in his head. I have to go back and watch the first 3 quarters, but from what I heard on the radio broadcast, Ozigbo was getting nice chunk plays, and then he went 2 straight series with not playing.  I like Washington, but they probably should have stuck with the hot hand. The offense still scored 31 points, which should have been enough. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree with you on the play calling. Frost hasn’t found much rhythm in calling plays this year. I don’t think he has much trust in a number of players, so that gets in his head. I have to go back and watch the first 3 quarters, but from what I heard on the radio broadcast, Ozigbo was getting nice chunk plays, and then he went 2 straight series with not playing.  I like Washington, but they probably should have stuck with the hot hand. The offense still scored 31 points, which should have been enough. 

This has been my main critique on offense (other than the obvious ones like don't fumble the ball or commit stupid penalties4). When Washington is doing really well they keep doing their rotation. When Ozigbo is doing really well they keep doing their rotation. They stated before the season started that they would rotate them by series but if someone got the hot hand they might stick with them. But that isn't what they've been doing.

4 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Today’s game makes you question the coaches and their wisdom...that is all. They played not to lose rather than playing to win and their management of the last 5 minutes was questionable at best.

I’m going to make a comment that will likely be unpopular here, but playing to win and playing not to lose are exactly the same thing.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, shyndy said:

I’m going to make a comment that will likely be unpopular here, but playing to win and playing not to lose are exactly the same thing.

Playing not to lose is not being aggressive- ultra conservitive playcalling, eating up the clock, not calling plays to get first downs or score but to secure the ball first and foremost. Often, it works but not with our undisciplined defense. 

• Plus1 2

After listening to Scott Frost and reading quotes from the players ("We did it all on defense, and yet we lost") I have learned that the standards are low on that team.

Unless the coaches and players are delusional. 

Didn't they notice the 250 yards gained on them in the fourth quarter?  The 90 yards in penalties? 

Etc. 

I'm disgusted. 

• Plus1 4

I thought Scott Frost's post-game comments of "I'm seeing things I've never seen before" was his first admission that he's way in over his head.  As a coach.  As a recognizer of talent, and a developer of skills. . 

I'm sure he's known this for years, too, and that's why God invented Good Assistant Coaches.  Learning to tell Bad from Good, however, is something else Scott Frost hasn't learned yet.  But give him time - in 10-15 years, he'll get it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

After listening to Scott Frost and reading quotes from the players ("We did it all on defense, and yet we lost") I have learned that the standards are low on that team.

Unless the coaches and players are delusional. 

Didn't they notice the 250 yards gained on them in the fourth quarter?  The 90 yards in penalties? 

Etc. 

I'm disgusted. 

In order to give up that many passing yards that fast, they would have to be working together.

11 minutes ago, ClemHusker said:

I thought Scott Frost's post-game comments of "I'm seeing things I've never seen before" was his first admission that he's way in over his head.  As a coach.  As a recognizer of talent, and a developer of skills. . 

I'm sure he's known this for years, too, and that's why God invented Good Assistant Coaches.  Learning to tell Bad from Good, however, is something else Scott Frost hasn't learned yet.  But give him time - in 10-15 years, he'll get it.

You took that comment completely out of context. He meant players are doing stupid things that he's never seen at this level of competition,eg…..bad snaps, stupid penalties, stupid calls by the refs.....

• Plus1 4