Defensive Issues - Who's more at fault?

Who's 'more' at fault for the persistent poor performances?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Penalties are not 'scheme primarily but are on the players who commit them.  I doubt many of the pass interference and roughing and personal fouls are deliberately done because the coaches told them to commit the penalties.

Penalites are just killing our chances.  We were fairly evenly matched up with NW talent wise and we managed to out play them for about half the game and gain a lead which could and should have produced a win.  Sadly, the team blew it - a painful loss.  This team never ceases to amaze.  

This game exactly fits the phrase "snatched defeat from the jaws of victory".    Ugh.   

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Our defense is comical. The NLB DBs are a laugh riot the way they never turn around and always have their hands on the receiver whenever a call is needed. The coach tells them how to play. ABC gave it their best effort but there's no way they could rig that 99 yard drive without help from our defense. 

5 minutes ago, Husker Richard said:

We were damned if we do, damned if we don't. When we rushed 3 or 4, the secondary couldn't cover to save their lives. When we brought the blitz, it never got home and Thorson found the open man. So I guess that makes me learn toward personnel. 

This. I actually thought chinander mixed it up quite a bit today. We are just two steps behind in the secondary or two steps slow on the blitz. We just need a fraction more athleticism and the D improves exponentially. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

We bring pressure, and our secondary can't cover 1-on-1. We sit back in coverage and our pass rush can't get there. We're kind of in a catch 22 at the moment

We play man and get beat. We play zone we get beat. 

For me it’s on personnel. They had to convert 2 4th downs on their field goal drive and then 99 yards with no timeouts and a little over 2 minutes left on their TD. I think by the end of the season Cam Taylor is starting.

My vote is personnel. You can't get blood out of a turnip. Our DL cannot get pressure on their own. Our DB's struggle to cover and not get PI's. Not much you can do without enough or the right kind of Jimmie's and joes. But, having said that, the scheme isn't blameless. So it is some of both and all of the above. It's a big reason we're Owen. Players, coaches and past coaches and culture. You don't go Owen against as weak of a schedule as we've had without being pretty darned pathetic across the board. And that ladies and gentlemen is currently Nebraska football. It's a joke and I've seen few if any signs it is going to improve this season. My guess is Bethune-Cookman may be our only reprieve from being Owen and I really wouldn't be surprised if they create a way to also lose that one. It will be much more shocking if they actually win a game this year. Is it 2020 yet?

I'm guessing a nice ice hockey arena would fit wonderfully in the foot print of Memorial Stadium. And honestly, at this point it wouldn't bother me in the least.