Defensive Issues - Who's more at fault?

Who's 'more' at fault for the persistent poor performances?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

We could have Ohio State, Alabama, or Clemson's coaching staff right now and we'd still be 0-6 more than likely.  We just don't have the Jimmies or Joes, especially on defense.

Do not agree, those coaches understand situational football much better than our staff at the moment.   Frost will have to get better strategically in the Big10 it's not the same as it was at UCF.  The coaches and better the players are smarter.  No they would not be 0-6

2 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

We could have Ohio State, Alabama, or Clemson's coaching staff right now and we'd still be 0-6 more than likely.  We just don't have the Jimmies or Joes, especially on defense.

Eh. Doesn't matter we are on our own journey. The idea that we are that talent bereft is intellectually dishonest though. This team could easily be 3-3, 2-4. I'm worried about building a great program, and have been for 20+ years. I've only seen guys that "hope" to improve NU. Frost is going to put his life into rebuilding this thing. He still deserves criticism btw. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

The first one was clearly grounding, that back was blocking on the play.  But that's why they have them stay back, like that, exact situation. 

Again him blocking has no bearing to the rule.  He was an eligible receiver at the snap and remains that even if he’s blocking.  It’s the part of the rule I hate, the dude had no intentions of running a route or to look for the ball, yet by a technicality no flag

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

The defense isn’t very good. That being said, they played well enough to win until the last drive. 

They got 2 turnovers. They gave up 3 touchdowns...one where the blitz nearly got home and the QB dropped a dime off throwing off his back foot.

i never felt like we weren’t in control of this game until Frost went Herm Edwards on our last full series in regulation. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

The defense isn’t very good. That being said, they played well enough to win until the last drive. 

They got 2 turnovers. They gave up 3 touchdowns...one where the blitz nearly got home and the QB dropped a dime off throwing off his back foot.

i never felt like we weren’t in control of this game until Frost went Herm Edwards on our last full series in regulation. 

But as Coach Frost said in his post game presser, if Nebraska had thrown the ball and not completed it, he'd be criticized for stopping the clock.  He made the right call.  Run the ball and force NW to use those timeouts.  Unfortunately, things didn't go NU's way.  Maybe we'll win next week.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Making Chimichangas said:

But as Coach Frost said in his post game presser, if Nebraska had thrown the ball and not completed it, he'd be criticized for stopping the clock.  He made the right call.  Run the ball and force NW to use those timeouts.  Unfortunately, things didn't go NU's way.  Maybe we'll win next week.

I just don’t see that I guess. With the speed at which offenses operate these days, time wasn’t going to be an issue. NW even mismanaged the clock and still had time to go down the field. Giving NW the ball with 1 or 2 timeouts was pretty meaningless. Defense was either going to stop them or they weren’t. I don’t believe NW was going to run out of time. 

IMHO, keep your playbook open and call the series like you’re trying to move the ball, not bleed a couple timeouts. 

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Laughable.

Not even Callahan or Riley were capable of this.

Entirely different circumstances and Riley was trending down towards 0-12.

Be negative if you want, I don't care.  But you should at least be honest enough to admit that Riley left us in an incredibly deep hole.  Coach Frost said it in his post game presser: "Winning is a habit, unfortunately so is losing."

Mike Riley put a feel good about losing feeling on the team for 3 years.  Yeah this 0-6 season sucks, but changing our players mentalities takes time.  I am all in with Coach Frost.  He'll fix this mess, we just have to accept that we might be 0-12 at the end of the year.  Or we could be 6-6 or anything in between.

I am seeing this team fight.  I am seeing an 0-6 team that hasn't given up.  And I won't give up on this team either.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Again him blocking has no bearing to the rule.  He was an eligible receiver at the snap and remains that even if he’s blocking.  It’s the part of the rule I hate, the dude had no intentions of running a route or to look for the ball, yet by a technicality no flag

Yes I understand this, I mean I've actually seen a ref hold up a grounding because the QB never looked.   It was close, I think it could have still been called, "in the area" is an interpretation.  I understand the rule