Defensive Issues - Who's more at fault?

Who's 'more' at fault for the persistent poor performances?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The frustrating part is that the D will play well enough for most of the game, but can’t make one play when the game matters the most. The D held Northwestern to 14 points thru 55 minutes (7 points were by the NW defense) and then in the last 5 minutes they allow Northwestern to go the length of the field twice to force OT. It’s like they are waiting for something bad to happen, instead of making the one play to win. I know this sounds like what Frost said in his post game presser, but the D shows flashes, but then fails in the key moments. 

Chinander's to blame.

So here's what I thought about for like three hours after it felt like I got punched in the gut - We've complained and complained about terrible cornerback play, right? So if our corners are that terrible at covering receivers downfield, why not use them in disguised blitz packages and bring them in from the edge?

That's what was missing when we were up by 10 points in the fourth. We need zone blitz packages. Bring a bunch of guys in from one side and then drop the opposite side. We pretty much telegraphed where we were blitzing guys on the occasion that we actually blitzed.

Terrible football to watch. Can't take much more of this without losing a bit of faith in Chinander. You have to figure out a way to get your guys to execute something that will be more effective than what we're seeing here. 

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The frustrating part is that the D will play well enough for most of the game, but can’t make one play when the game matters the most. The D held Northwestern to 14 points thru 55 minutes (7 points were by the NW defense) and then in the last 5 minutes they allow Northwestern to go the length of the field twice to force OT. It’s like they are waiting for something bad to happen, instead of making the one play to win. I know this sounds like what Frost said in his post game presser, but the D shows flashes, but then fails in the key moments. 

With two 4th and 10 conversions

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Chinander's to blame.

So here's what I thought about for like three hours after it felt like I got punched in the gut - We've complained and complained about terrible cornerback play, right? So if our corners are that terrible at covering receivers downfield, why not use them in disguised blitz packages and bring them in from the edge?

That's what was missing when we were up by 10 points in the fourth. We need zone blitz packages. Bring a bunch of guys in from one side and then drop the opposite side. We pretty much telegraphed where we were blitzing guys on the occasion that we actually blitzed.

Terrible football to watch. Can't take much more of this without losing a bit of faith in Chinander. You have to figure out a way to get your guys to execute something that will be more effective than what we're seeing here. 

I think this is where I'm at.  I understand we don't have top level edge rusher.  I understand that we don't have an elite level NT.  BUT with that in mind, get a scheme that maximizes the talent you do have.  They had no run game.  They came in with a team that was completely one dimensional.  We didn't have a game plan designed to get to the one weapon they had-Thorson.......We used Gifford as a standup edge rusher.  He was going up against a 300lb OT....That's a mismatch for a OLB.  Gifford was game and made some plays, but was that really Chins best idea?  Hell, the last drive, I would rather have had all DB's on the field.  They were not going to try and run 99 yards.......

When Chin first came here he talked about an aggressive D.  DB's who could play press coverage.  That it really wasn't a 3-4, but something flexible.   A D that would be adaptive.  It has been none of this.  A base 3-4 and really not much else.  Little to no press and sure not dynamic and aggressive.  Hard to reach the QB when you start your blitz from 10 yards off the LOS....No stunts, no confusing looks.....Vanilla.  If our strategy is to score 50 if you score 49 and to use the D to simply give our O a rest, we will continue to lose.  Even if we get the horses, this bend don't break will get you bent over in the B1G.  We sure don't have the horses now so how about going to a 4-3 in passing downs and blitz a DB.  Or putting in extra DT's to go to a 5 man front and use 6 DB's when it was fourth and 10 twice....Anything to put the "less" athletic players in a position to win and succeed.  

The repeated penalties by DB's game in and game out....Start a true freshman.  I'd rather lose by playing for the future than getting repeated penalties for getting beat like a drum in pass coverage.......Failing to cover and repeatedly having your back to the ball etc....Some of that is talent, but 6 games in after being with the guys since Dec and that's the product that is put on the field is BS.  

Here is a quote from Chin explaining part of his D........

“We’re more on the side of a one-gap 3-4 with occasional two-gappers,” Chinander said. “Very aggressive in bringing a fourth or a fifth rusher and playing up on people in coverage.

Nebraska will prioritize pressuring the quarterback, Chinander said. Nebraska’s leading sack returner is defensive end Ben Stille, who had just 3½ sacks last season.

“Either we’re going to have the personnel to get to the quarterback or I’m going to have to manufacture it,” Chinander said. “That’s my job. We’re going to get it done. I don’t know if it’s going to be we line up with four or we line up with three and do blitz packages and get there, but we’ll get there. It’s a very aggressive style.”

(Where in the hell is this D^)

So IMHO, the staff owns some of this craptastic season....0-6 First time in 126 seasons......

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/husker-defensive-coordinator-erik-chinander-wants-to-build-a-blackshirt/article_b54a55f5-1955-5bc0-a65a-1584acbd326f.html

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2
5 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think this is where I'm at.  I understand we don't have top level edge rusher.  I understand that we don't have an elite level NT.  BUT with that in mind, get a scheme that maximizes the talent you do have.  They had no run game.  They came in with a team that was completely one dimensional.  We didn't have a game plan designed to get to the one weapon they had-Thorson.......We used Gifford as a standup edge rusher.  He was going up against a 300lb OT....That's a mismatch for a OLB.  Gifford was game and made some plays, but was that really Chins best idea?  Hell, the last drive, I would rather have had all DB's on the field.  They were not going to try and run 99 yards.......

When Chin first came here he talked about an aggressive D.  DB's who could play press coverage.  That it really wasn't a 3-4, but something flexible.   A D that would be adaptive.  It has been none of this.  A base 3-4 and really not much else.  Little to no press and sure not dynamic and aggressive.  Hard to reach the QB when you start your blitz from 10 yards off the LOS....No stunts, no confusing looks.....Vanilla.  If our strategy is to score 50 if you score 49 and to use the D to simply give our O a rest, we will continue to lose.  Even if we get the horses, this bend don't break will get you bent over in the B1G.  We sure don't have the horses now so how about going to a 4-3 in passing downs and blitz a DB.  Or putting in extra DT's to go to a 5 man front and use 6 DB's when it was fourth and 10 twice....Anything to put the "less" athletic players in a position to win and succeed.  

The repeated penalties by DB's game in and game out....Start a true freshman.  I'd rather lose by playing for the future than getting repeated penalties for getting beat like a drum in pass coverage.......Failing to cover and repeatedly having your back to the ball etc....Some of that is talent, but 6 games in after being with the guys since Dec and that's the product that is put on the field is BS.  

Here is a quote from Chin explaining part of his D........

“We’re more on the side of a one-gap 3-4 with occasional two-gappers,” Chinander said. “Very aggressive in bringing a fourth or a fifth rusher and playing up on people in coverage.

Nebraska will prioritize pressuring the quarterback, Chinander said. Nebraska’s leading sack returner is defensive end Ben Stille, who had just 3½ sacks last season.

“Either we’re going to have the personnel to get to the quarterback or I’m going to have to manufacture it,” Chinander said. “That’s my job. We’re going to get it done. I don’t know if it’s going to be we line up with four or we line up with three and do blitz packages and get there, but we’ll get there. It’s a very aggressive style.”

(Where in the hell is this D^)

So IMHO, the staff owns some of this craptastic season....0-6 First time in 126 seasons......

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/husker-defensive-coordinator-erik-chinander-wants-to-build-a-blackshirt/article_b54a55f5-1955-5bc0-a65a-1584acbd326f.html

Chinander's philosophy is fine.

You want to bring in another DT?  A starting DT is already out with an injury.

And Jason Peter is over 40 and has expired eligibility.

As awesome as "playing for the future" sounds, we lost this game in OT.

Sometimes personnel issues are literally personnel issues.

When Frost said we need somebody to make a play, that's actually what we need.

• Plus1 1
Just now, TheSker said:

Chinander's philosophy is fine.

You want to bring in another DT?  A starting DT is already out with an injury.

And Jason Peter is over 40 and has expired eligibility.

As awesome as "playing for the future" sounds, we lost this game in OT.

Sometimes personnel issues are literally personnel issues.

When Frost said we need somebody to make a play, that's actually what we need.

You and I have gone back and forth.  I get it.  This staff is perfect and the kids suck.  I have no issue with his philosophy.  I just haven't seen what he describes yet.  I used DT as a universal term for another DL position.  As far as playing for the future, we lost in OT.  It should have never gotten to OT.  I'll say it again. These same kids went 4-8 last year.  This year we might be 1-11.....This is the worst start in 126 years of playing NU football....  

I'm not saying to fire anyone.  I've said repeatedly to trust the process that we are short on talent and left with a bare cupboard.  Throw in the 4th DC for some of these kids and it's a recipe for disaster.  BUT Chin needs to adapt and evaluate what he has.  Bo's D was good in the Big XII, but crap in the B1G.  Maybe Chin needs to go back and read his own presser and get that aggressive press coverage style.  Manufacture the QB hurries and sacks....

@lo country I agree with all of your points. Currently battling it out on my status regarding our mutual take on the poor use of Gifford against an OT all day. He's not Jadeveon Clowney, so maybe don't use him as such. 

Where are the mixed fronts? Bring 8 guys up to the LOS, rush 5/drop 3 or rush 3 /drop 5, etc. Make them at least think a blitz might come. This is a Diaco-level base 3-4 with poor in-game adjustments and it's maddening. 

DB's need to learn how to turn their head and play the ball. If you're not even at least looking back toward the ball, you're gonna get flagged for any amount of contact. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

There's no accurate way to assess how much is scheme and how much is players, especially by any of us. Sitting on the couch its easy to see a blown coverage, no pass rush , stupid penalty but not necessarily why? I think when the coaches call plays and design schemes they are trusting the players to execute and make plays.and in many instances our players just aren't getting it done.  when we had players like Amukamara, Suh, Wistrom, Demorrio Williams etc who could bring pressure, or make plays in coverage the schemes were much less important.We don't have players like that on this team. 

4 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

There's no accurate way to assess how much is scheme and how much is players, especially by any of us. Sitting on the couch its easy to see a blown coverage, no pass rush , stupid penalty but not necessarily why? I think when the coaches call plays and design schemes they are trusting the players to execute and make plays.and in many instances our players just aren't getting it done.  when we had players like Amukamara, Suh, Wistrom, Demorrio Williams etc who could bring pressure, or make plays in coverage the schemes were much less important.We don't have players like that on this team. 

So it's not so hard to assess after all......