Defensive Issues - Who's more at fault?

Who's 'more' at fault for the persistent poor performances?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Let me ask you this: based on what we have seen from Nebraska thus far this season...do you seriously believe any other coaching staff would be better?  What rationale do you have to make the claim any other staff would be better?  

Yes.  Even Riley and Callahan in their worst seasons didn't go 0-6.  There are better coaches than Mike Riley and Bill Callahan.

Because any other coaching staff would still have to face all the issues Coach Frost and his coaches are facing:

1. Most players didn't do S&C under Riley.

2. They had a very lazy or no work ethic.

3. Little to no depth at many positions.

Even if these issues are 100% real, which is unlikely, Riley never went 0-6 with all these self-imposed issues.  There are better coaches than Mike Riley.

When you take every factor and add it up, I seriously think that even Nick Saban's staff at Alabama could be coaching Nebraska this year and we'd probably still be 0-6.

Absolutely ridiculous attempt to normalize something that has never happened before in 129 years.

So yeah, disagree all you want, but what I said isn't ridiculous

Sure it is.

• Plus1 2

How dare players 6 games into yet another new scheme not be perfect! 

My take is that people are assuming that the players themselves have been well coached for years and expected to know all new concepts.  Maybe the schemes we're seeing is all they know ... SO FAR.  Maybe the staff isn't comfortable with installing the more complex things that are more effective because the players haven't quite grasped the mere basics yet.  There are so many hours they can spend with them.  And maybe 3 years of laxidaisical weekly prep along with S&C can't be fixed in one off season.

I trust that it will all get better for BOTH scheme AND personnel, but won't be THIS year.  

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yes.  Even Riley and Callahan in their worst seasons didn't go 0-6.  There are better coaches than Mike Riley and Bill Callahan.

Even if these issues are 100% real, which is unlikely, Riley never went 0-6 with all these self-imposed issues.  There are better coaches than Mike Riley.

Absolutely ridiculous attempt to normalize something that has never happened before in 129 years.

Sure it is.

I can't believe we hired a staff that would have us 0-6 at this point.

How embarrassing.......  

1 hour ago, huskered17 said:

When this staff was hired, I said thought Chinander was the weak link. He may well be, but I think he needs time to get what players he thinks he needs, to build "his" defense.

Someone  posted they think Chin should be up in the booth, instead of down on the field, this week. I think maybe it would help him evaluate the players better.

Is it just me or did anyone else think we should have been trying to move the ball, instead of trying to get NW to use their time outs. I was used to seeing Frost always pushing forward no matter what the score was, when I watched some of his games at UCF. 

I guess maybe he has faith in our D that we don't. 

I do like being ahead and having the other team playing catch up for a change, just to bad it didn't get us the W. 

We are getting closer and I think next week we get that W. 

GBR!!!

To the bold, I would trust my defense to stop them 99 yards and use every one of their timeouts than throw the ball with a possible incompletion and allow them to keep one timeout. The play call at the end wasn't great but we needed to run three times to try and ice the game. 

What do you guys even expect him to do? Are you guys saying, "blitz more?" Well, let's do that but then get killed in coverage, our guys are SLOW and we can't even get to the qb while blitzing.  What stunts would you do? What blitzes would you do? Okay, you wanna play coverage? Well, our dline can't blockshed worth crap and get stuck on the blocks forever.  Our d, outside of Barry, is garbage.  Y'all act like chinander should be Jesus himself and should be able to produce miracles.  Let's all hold our judgement until they get their guys in.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

How dare players 6 games into yet another new scheme not be perfect! 

My take is that people are assuming that the players themselves have been well coached for years and expected to know all new concepts.  Maybe the schemes we're seeing is all they know ... SO FAR.  Maybe the staff isn't comfortable with installing the more complex things that are more effective because the players haven't quite grasped the mere basics yet.  There are so many hours they can spend with them.  And maybe 3 years of laxidaisical weekly prep along with S&C can't be fixed in one off season.

I trust that it will all get better for BOTH scheme AND personnel, but won't be THIS year.  

Exactly.  Some of the posters on this board have literally no concept that Nebraska was in far worse shape than they will admit.

@The Dude points to the fact that neither Callahan or Riley went 0-6 and yet doesn't acknowledge that: a) Callahan came into Nebraska after Solich when, despite not much depth, S&C was still great and there were some really good players here, and b) Riley came in after Bo and there were some good players here but S&C in Bo's final three years started to wane and was getting less each year.

Then Riley comes in, no S&C at all, recruited a lot of bad player and/or players who left when they learned they'd lose their starting spots.

So yeah, Nebraska is currently in a very, VERY deep hole in terms of talent, S&C, and depth that they are slowly climbing out of.  

It is this type of denial of facts while bitterly complaining and whining about being 0-6 for the first time in program history--as if they could do better.

All the people whining about the 0-6 start should probably be put on suicide watch.

I just get so tired of people not understanding that this isn't f'ing PlayStation.  In real life you don't come into a program that has been in steady decline for 10+ years and change sh** overnight.

• Fire 1

IMO, the defense did enough to win the game. They only gave up 24 points, and that should be enough. Of course, giving up 10 of those points in the lat 3.5 minutes was awful, but I cannot put complete blame for the loss on the defense. And don't forget that the defense gave the offense a very short field after an interception.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Exactly.  Some of the posters on this board have literally no concept that Nebraska was in far worse shape than they will admit.

@The Dude points to the fact that neither Callahan or Riley went 0-6 and yet doesn't acknowledge that: a) Callahan came into Nebraska after Solich when, despite not much depth, S&C was still great and there were some really good players here, and b) Riley came in after Bo and there were some good players here but S&C in Bo's final three years started to wane and was getting less each year.

Then Riley comes in, no S&C at all, recruited a lot of bad player and/or players who left when they learned they'd lose their starting spots.

So yeah, Nebraska is currently in a very, VERY deep hole in terms of talent, S&C, and depth that they are slowly climbing out of.  

It is this type of denial of facts while bitterly complaining and whining about being 0-6 for the first time in program history--as if they could do better.

All the people whining about the 0-6 start should probably be put on suicide watch.

I just get so tired of people not understanding that this isn't f'ing PlayStation.  In real life you don't come into a program that has been in steady decline for 10+ years and change sh** overnight.

Bo was very lucky to have Suh, Crick, Steinkuler and the DBs that went to the NFL.

Is it possible to understand this will take several years to fix and be able to compete with the top 1/4 or so of the conference while at the same time be critical of mistakes that we believe the coaches and players make? Or does that make you a bad fan?

I think this will take at least 4 years to get right. But that doesn't mean i have to stay silent if a player makes a bone headed mistake or if the coaches do something odd. 

• Plus1 2
50 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Is it possible to understand this will take several years to fix and be able to compete with the top 1/4 or so of the conference while at the same time be critical of mistakes that we believe the coaches and players make? Or does that make you a bad fan?

I think this will take at least 4 years to get right. But that doesn't mean i have to stay silent if a player makes a bone headed mistake or if the coaches do something odd. 

This^  So much this.  I don't see people calling for heads or whole sale schematic changes.  We are simply seeing a product that we are not pleased with.  Understanding all of the legitimate issues for the current state of the program doesn't give a free pass to what we are seeing week in and week out......Doesn't mean we are bad fans.  I'd be more concerned if every voice continued to think things are fine...

My initial thoughts were 2-3 years we'd see a huge jump.  I'm really thinking 3-5 at least.  We are a dumpster fire right now....  Recruitment, familiarity with the system and yes growing from the coaches.  The B1G is a different animal than the AAC.  Not everything that works in one will work in the other.  The only thing that will, and what we have been lacking for years, is a serious commitment to the basics related to sound fundamentals related to tackling, penalties, execution and TO's.....Areas we are woefully lacking in.

3 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

What do you guys even expect him to do? Are you guys saying, "blitz more?" Well, let's do that but then get killed in coverage, our guys are SLOW and we can't even get to the qb while blitzing.  What stunts would you do? What blitzes would you do? Okay, you wanna play coverage? Well, our dline can't blockshed worth crap and get stuck on the blocks forever.  Our d, outside of Barry, is garbage.  Y'all act like chinander should be Jesus himself and should be able to produce miracles.  Let's all hold our judgement until they get their guys in.

I agree that until he gets his guys you can’t really evaluate him. 

But, just like every high school coach does every year (well, it used to be that way anyhow) this year he has to play with the talent he has on hand. So maybe you modify what you are doing. Adjust your system to best fit the talent you do have available. 

At least  try to do something  different. Because what we’re doing now isn’t working. 

2 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

I agree that until he gets his guys you can’t really evaluate him. 

But, just like every high school coach does every year (well, it used to be that way anyhow) this year he has to play with the talent he has on hand. So maybe you modify what you are doing. Adjust your system to best fit the talent you do have available. 

At least  try to do something  different. Because what we’re doing now isn’t working. 

What can you do though?  We have no talent on defense at ANY position.  We make mental mistakes.  It's easy to say "he needs to adjust" but can you be specific on how he needs to adjust? You can't say "different personnel packages" because each position is equally as bad.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1