A closer look at Chinander's defenses...by the numbers

The 2014 Husker Defense had several guys good enough to get some coin with the NFL including Josh Banderas, Nathan Gerry, Maliek Collins, Randy Gregory, Jack Gangwish, Vince Valentine and Zaire Anderson.

That collection of talent was ranked #92 in Total Defense and #53 in Scoring Defense and #90 in Defensive Efficiency..

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

And the defense only allowed 7 points until the end. 

What is the point that you think you're making with that statement? Please expand on how that makes sense in your mind and why you think it's noteworthy.

Each team is playing football for 60 minutes. Our defense gave up 487 yards. We sucked on defense. 31 points of offense should be enough to win a football game.

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The 2014 Husker Defense had several guys good enough to get some coin with the NFL including Josh Banderas, Nathan Gerry, Maliek Collins, Randy Gregory, Jack Gangwish, Vince Valentine and Zaire Anderson.

That collection of talent was ranked #92 in Total Defense and #53 in Scoring Defense and #90 in Defensive Efficiency..

NFL coin is great, but All Conference is a better reflection of how productive they were for the Huskers.

Randy Gregory, 1st team

Maliek Collins, 2nd team

The end.

17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And this year's team is currently 109th in Total Defense and 117th in Scoring Defense. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

NFL coin is great, but All Conference is a better reflection of how productive they were for the Huskers.

Randy Gregory, 1st team

Maliek Collins, 2nd team

The end.

The point remains that two All-Conference defenders and a half-dozen other NFL worthy players were not enough to keep Nebraska from a middling to bottom-dwelling defense. 

(Remember, if we manage to do better with lesser talent, it validates the coaching)

55 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not sure a less relevant and less tenuous link could have been made by Mike'l. The guys on the defensive roster in 2008 make our current roster look like a Division III team.

I think the link he was probably trying to make was 2008 was the first year of a new coaching staff coming off a terrible defensive team the year before.  

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The point remains that two All-Conference defenders and a half-dozen other NFL worthy players were not enough to keep Nebraska from a middling to bottom-dwelling defense. 

(Remember, if we manage to do better with lesser talent, it validates the coaching)

The coaching staff may be young, but they are already validated.

We need four to six first and second team All Conference players on each side of the ball.

20 minutes ago, TheSker said:

We need four to six first and second team All Conference players on each side of the ball.

I was honestly trying to give you an out, but you came back with this.

The coaching staff can't possibly be validated in the midst of the worst season in Cornhusker history, backed by historically embarrassing defensive stats. The coaching staff may well go on to validate your faith in them -- we're all rooting for that -- but things aren't going well at the moment. Might be time to accept that, and learn the definition of "validate." 

Again, pretty sure you've spent the last three years saying talent wasn't the problem -- it's the mis-coaching. Pointing out that the 2014 defense had talent that still left us at the statistical bottom simply supports your thesis. 

If having six All Conference players on each side of the ball is your strategy, it's a great one. I will expect nothing until that super team is in place. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was honestly trying to give you an out, but you came back with this.

The coaching staff can't possibly be validated in the midst of the worst season in Cornhusker history, backed by historically embarrassing defensive stats. The coaching staff may well go on to validate your faith in them -- we're all rooting for that -- but things aren't going well at the moment. Might be time to accept that, and learn the definition of "validate." 

Again, pretty sure you've spent the last three years saying talent wasn't the problem -- it's the mis-coaching. Pointing out that the 2014 defense had talent that still left us at the statistical bottom simply supports your thesis. 

If having six All Conference players on each side of the ball is your strategy, it's a great one. I will expect nothing until that super team is in place. 

I'm not concerned about you giving me an "out", but thank you.

And the reason you're "pretty sure".....which you've mentioned twice....is because you're not sure.

The job that was done at UCF validated their ability to do what needs done at Nebraska.

Mike Riley was, and is, a bad college football head coach.

AND we need more talent than we currently have.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

N'western rushed for 175 yards per game last year.  This year it's only 70 yards a game.  They could cry about not having the Jims and Joes to rush the ball.  I've not heard a single word from Fitz after a loss claiming his team "doesn't look like the other team".  They've gone ahead and recognized they can't effectively run like usual and found another way to get it done instead.  They've buckled down and completely changed their offensive identity to win games.  Isn't that good coaching, doing what's necessary even when it's not what you feel comfortable with.

Just changing your run pass balance is not some complete overhaul in scheme. They are 3-3 and are doing exactly what people bitched about the previous staff doing here. 

2 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Just changing your run pass balance is not some complete overhaul in scheme. They are 3-3 and are doing exactly what people bitched about the previous staff doing here. 

They're 3-1 in conference and on top of the division so they're doing something right.  I said identity not scheme, but agree the word overhaul was incorrect.

5 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

They're 3-1 in conference and on top of the division so they're doing something right.  I said identity not scheme, but agree the word overhaul was incorrect.

They do the things we need to do for sure. They should have probably lost to us and purdue but we both made mental mistakes and NW made less. Fitz also has the benefit of a very small fanbase and a lot of time. So he doesn't need to explain much even when they are doing poorly. 

18 hours ago, TheSker said:

Frost is probably "validated" as an offensive mind and developer of offensive talent in my opinion. I believe that Mario Verduzco is also validated as a quarterbacks coach.

But probably at least 50% of the rest of his staff - especially Chinander - are not, in my opinion.