A closer look at Chinander's defenses...by the numbers

3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

2 of frosts 3 years are a year 1 taking over a dumpster fire of a team. 1 team was 0-12 and the other 4-8 before he got there. He only has one season where his culture was in place and he went undefeated 

Totally disagree UCF or N were dumpster fires. 

UCF was 3 years removed from an 8-0 conference record, 12-1 overall record, and Fiesta Bowl win.  Two years removed from a 9 win conference championship season.  They've been an up and down program for over a decade and after every losing season in that time span have bounced right back with a winning season.

N had a lot of young guys on the field last year and won 4 games.  A new highly pro football AD, tons of fan and alumni support, and a willingness to give SF whatever he needs.  Normally you'd look at that and think it's a situation ripe for rapid improvement with the players a year older and more experienced.  In no way can anyone look at that and say dumpster fire.  Changing staffs and schemes stunted the growth that should have been made as you'd expect when changing coaches.  So while this season is a dumpster fire so far, I don't agree it couldn't have gone much better and was destined to be a dumpster fire.  It's not at all far fetched to look back and see a 5-1 or 4-2 record up to this point was very possible. 

Anyhow my original point was this isn't the song writers union, this is competitive Power 5 football so one season good or bad does not validate a coach as I pointed out with Gene Chizik.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

Anyhow my original point was this isn't the song writers union, this is competitive Power 5 football so one season good or bad does not validate a coach as I pointed out with Gene Chizik.

Newton and Malzahn were largely the reason for Chizik’s success at Auburn. Auburn hired Chizik from ISU where he was on the hot seat already for only winning 5 games in his first 2 seasons. That’s why when Malzahn left they only won 3 games and why he’s now the head coach at Auburn. Not exactly apples to apples as Frost calls his own plays.

7 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

UCF was 3 years removed from an 8-0 conference record, 12-1 overall record, and Fiesta Bowl win.  Two years removed from a 9 win conference championship season.  They've been an up and down program for over a decade and after every losing season in that time span have bounced right back with a winning season.

N had a lot of young guys on the field last year and won 4 games.  A new highly pro football AD, tons of fan and alumni support, and a willingness to give SF whatever he needs.  Normally you'd look at that and think it's a situation ripe for rapid improvement with the players a year older and more experienced.  In no way can anyone look at that and say dumpster fire.  Changing staffs and schemes stunted the growth that should have been made as you'd expect when changing coaches.  So while this season is a dumpster fire so far, I don't agree it couldn't have gone much better and was destined to be a dumpster fire.  It's not at all far fetched to look back and see a 5-1 or 4-2 record up to this point was very possible. 

I have said similar things.  Frost continues to talk about his scheme/system and he knows it works.  Is this based on the results at UCF?  I have no issue with his philosophy ie accountability, culture, commitment etc....But I wonder if his complete scheme that worked at UCF will work in the B1G.  Not calling for a whole sale change, but improvements on both sides to, in reality, "change to fit the B1G"........Yes UCF beat Auburn, but my co-workers argue it was an Auburn that "didn't want to be in the bowl", UCF had time to prepare for the "one big game" etc.....

One great season gives credibility, but not validity IMHO.  I'm all N for Frost.  Believe he needs time, but I also think he needs to make some tweaks on both sides of the ball.  I know talent will help, but talent isn't the only answer.

• Plus1 2

You folks who pick away at the staff have no concept of the difficulty of taking a thoroughly mediocre and mismanaged team and turning that into a real championship team.  If you bail on Chinander or Frost at any point this year, you are a FOOL.    These 12-0 coaches KNOW what it needs to look like.  

It is taking awhile to attrite the team, weed out the losers, loafers, never-would-be-Huskers.  Even the decent players were so lulled by the easy Riley atmosphere that it is taking a bunch of time.  But make no mistake, when Frost gets his guys and gets them ready, and when Chinander gets his guys, they can really field a team.  

I watched UCF twice last year.  Tough, fast, complex!  That was a hell of a team and the Huskers could be too.  It was night and day difference watching them, vs. watching the JV Riley Huskers.  Scott is weeding and growing that JV team.

Fans are so wishy washy, and think they know everything.  But no-one would ever offer YOU a multi million dollar contract.  They wouldn't offer me one either, but I am not the one on here trying to act like I know X and O football better than Chinander. You have to earn that.  Scott Frost has earned it.  Eric Chinander has earned Scotts respect.  And he should have yours as well.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

I disagree again. 

You are using what happened at UCF 2-3 years earlier as a reason why the program was good when Frost got there. In college the roster turns over every year so those kids that were 12-1 and won the Fiesta Bowl were not on the roster anymore. Most of the kids from 2 years prior were not on the roster anymore. The roster the year before he got there went 0-12, I dont know how to describe 0-12 any better than dumpster fire. What is worse than 0-12? His first year he had a few of his kids playing as true freshman and they increased to 6-7. His second year he had his guys playing with a little experience and they went 13-0. They were so good because of the kids Frost brought in- not because of the kids who were on the team. Milton QB, Otis Anderson- Adrian Killian etc. Those explosive guys who made the offense tick to score 50 points a game were Frost guys. It was easier to have quicker results with young talent because they were not playing P5 programs loaded with talent. I would guess if your a talented kid its easier to play early and succeed at the G5 level.

Nebraska. We are in the top 5 for all time winningest programs. 2 out of the last 3 years we have had a losing record. Now we are on our way to 3 out of the last 4 being losing records. How is that not a dumpster fire to our standards? It is. We could have more wins this year- but we dont. The talent descrepency between Nebraska and our big 10 peers is much greater than what UCF was when he took over. Simply because its G5. So it is not going to happen as fast here.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I have said similar things.  Frost continues to talk about his scheme/system and he knows it works.  Is this based on the results at UCF?  I have no issue with his philosophy ie accountability, culture, commitment etc....But I wonder if his complete scheme that worked at UCF will work in the B1G.  Not calling for a whole sale change, but improvements on both sides to, in reality, "change to fit the B1G"........Yes UCF beat Auburn, but my co-workers argue it was an Auburn that "didn't want to be in the bowl", UCF had time to prepare for the "one big game" etc.....

One great season gives credibility, but not validity IMHO.  I'm all N for Frost.  Believe he needs time, but I also think he needs to make some tweaks on both sides of the ball.  I know talent will help, but talent isn't the only answer.

Frost's experience and scheme are not just from UCF.  If memory serves, his scheme did quite well when he was OC at Oregon, no?

And yes, the B1G will have to adjust to Frost.  The record might be 0-6 right now, but if you can't see the potential of this offense.....it's ALREADY causing some fits for DCs in the games we've played.

People can "minimize" UCFs win over Auburn all they like.  UCF was (and currently might still be....) the better team.

In addition to Milton and Killins, Frost had at least two all conference players on his OL.

If he can get Nebraska there, which it looks like he just might, Nebraska and Ohio State will very likely be two of the most dangerous offenses in college football.

But for right now.....this season....a good snap isn't even guaranteed.

21 hours ago, TheSker said:

I just did a quick glance, but among the B1G teams that had 8 or more 1st or 2nd team all conference players included Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan.

It looks like Frost had 13 at UCF last season.

Compare their last four recruiting classes to our last four recruiting classes.  Do you see a difference?  Hence the reason I said in the near future.  I have my doubts when looking at an entire five year span we ever have higher rated classes than the three teams you just mentioned.  Once in a while, we might very well get a higher rated class than one of those three teams, but I highly doubt we do it consistently.  Frost and staff are going to have to be more creative than the teams you listed for us to be competitive.  They are going to have to get recruits that match their scheme and are willing to out work the competition.   

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Compare their last four recruiting classes to our last four recruiting classes.  Do you see a difference?  Hence the reason I said in the near future.  I have my doubts when looking at an entire five year span we ever have higher rated classes than the three teams you just mentioned.  Once in a while, we might very well get a higher rated class than one of those three teams, but I highly doubt we do it consistently.  Frost and staff are going to have to be more creative than the teams you listed for us to be competitive.  They are going to have to get recruits that match their scheme and are willing to out work the competition.   

Agreed.

I think Frost's plan is a combination of development and recruiting better.

I think Frost will be a better recruiter than Riley or Pelini.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Well.....

A season ago we were rarely close.

So I'd say Frost is correct.

Come on, man.

A season ago at 6 games we were 3-3, with a close loss to Oregon and a 21 point loss to Wisconsin.

You said there was never a reason to lose to Purdue. Never. 

That was a bad season that only got worse. This is a historically bad season that might get better. 

But suggesting that Scott Frost is a chess-master who is three moves ahead of everyone (except you) wears a little thin.

• Plus1 5
9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Come on, man.

A season ago at 6 games we were 3-3, with a close loss to Oregon and a 21 point loss to Wisconsin.

You said there was never a reason to lose to Purdue. Never. 

That was a bad season that only got worse. This is a historically bad season that might get better. 

But suggesting that Scott Frost is a chess-master who is three moves ahead of everyone (except you) wears a little thin.

Yeah.....it might get better.