A closer look at Chinander's defenses...by the numbers

Is there any chance that you could possibly stop your habit of creating these threads until you've slept on it for a night after a loss?

Maybe Chinander is an awful defensive coordinator...or maybe he helps us win a national title in three years. We don't know.

But what we do know is that you create threads like this every Saturday.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Is there any chance that you could possibly stop your habit of creating these threads until you've slept on it for a night after a loss?

Maybe Chinander is an awful defensive coordinator...or maybe he helps us win a national title in three years. We don't know.

But what we do know is that you create threads like this every Saturday.

So if I waited a few more hours until Sunday it would make the data more valid? Also I have created 2 threads on Saturdays this season...not sure that qualifies as every Saturday but please share the 6 threads I have created like this on gameday Saturdays. Its just unfortunate this is your only response. Perhaps you should take Saturdays off on this board. :)

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

28 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am a big believer in looking at data when looking at bringing in new members of the coaching staff. When Diaco was hired in early 2017 I was pretty critical of the hire as the data did not paint a good picture of his track record outside of one standout season at Notre Dame in 2012. I was also skeptical of Frost's selection of Chinander given what the data showed, but I was willing to give Chinander the benefit of the doubt. In my mind having a dominant defense is more important to becoming a championship team than having a stellar offense. Here is a quick look at where the last 5 national champions finished in Team Defense.

2017-Alabama finished 1st

2016-Clemson finished 15th

2015-Alabama finished 3rd

2014-Ohio State finished 29th

2013-Florida State finished 7th

Now here are the finishes as an assistant in D1 football.

2010-Oregon finished 36th

2011-Oregon finished 96th

2012-Oregon finished 50th

2013-Went to NFL for one season

2014-Oregon finished 102nd

2015-Oregon finished 115th

2016-UCF finished 46th

2017-UCF finished 91st

2018-Nebraska is 70th

So the defensive philosophy Chin learned under at Oregon had one top 40 finish but spent most seasons in the bottom half of D1 defenses. His 3 seasons as a DC at UCF and Nebraska put him around 70th in D1.

I understand Frost has a long history with Chinander, but I think he needs to take a step back and assess whether his defensive background is what is needed to get Nebraska back to competing for championships.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalYards

You’re also talking about being a counterpart to UCF and Oregon’s offense. Perhaps look at yards per play to get a better indication. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

You’re also talking about being a counterpart to UCF and Oregon’s offense. Perhaps look at yards per play to get a better indication. 

Fair point. You can look at several defensive metrics but I have often found total defense to be most comprehensive. My overall concern is that we keep bringing in DCs that do not have a track record of dominant defenses, and if that history is not there, I have little faith it will miraculously correct itself.

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I put a lot of this on Chin today.  I mentioned last week that my biggest complaint was playing too much base personnel and not matching up with the offense enough.  

We continued to ask Aaron Williams to cover Nagel despite him getting burned over and over again.  Williams even gave up completions on two plays where he got penalties.  He couldn't even cover him when he held or interfered.  

Nagel had almost as many receiving yards today as any other NW receiver has on the SEASON.  WHY COULD WE NOT PUT SOMEONE ELSE ON HIM???  WHY COULD WE NOT BRING IN ERIC LEE OR CAM TAYLOR OR ANYONE ELSE TO TRY TO COVER HIM???  WHY DID WE INSIST ON COVERING THEIR BEST RECEIVER WITH A SAFETY???

Instead, we just kept doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different result.  There was no different result and it was a major reason that we lost.

Great points.  I think this is the argument of scheme vs talent comes into play.  Williams (talent) unable to cover Nagel.  No change in personnel to try to help (scheme).....We have seen the base D week in and week out even in situations where that was not the most advantageous......

@HuskerNation1 I appreciate you compiling this info.  While not inclusive of all factors that contribute to over all ratings, total D is a pretty accurate stat to show the over all success of the team.  2017 UCF was an outlier IMO as the O was also the number 1 scoring O, IIRC.  

I don't think Chin's defense is our problem, granted I questioned some of his personnel decisions this last game. Let's be real, UCF, Oregon, us, don't have the same caliber of athletes that Bama, Ohio State, Florida State and whoever have. And the offenses that UCF faced in the past two years, are offenses that have given power 5 programs tough times.

We may have one draftable player on defense! And the same starters we had last year on defense, are the same starters we have this year. We didn't have a pass rush last year and we don't have a consistent one this year, but it has got better. We didn't have good linebacker play last year, but it has got better. Our DBs are performing better than last year. For heaven sakes we don't even have the personnel to successfully run a 3-4. The Davis twins are 4-3 tackles playing end. Newell the same thing.

IMHO we are a consistent pass rusher and DB away from turning close games like that around.  

We gave up 36.4 ppg last year - 166 points in the last 3 games alone. We came closer to WI than we did last year, and I think we will make Ohio St punt at least once which we haven't made them do in the last 2 seasons. I also don't think both Minnesota and Iowa will score over 50 points on us like last year. As mentioned we had zero pass rush last season, gotten slightly better. We have the worst secondary I've ever seen at Nebraska. We have on okay D line if we were in a 4-3 but we aren't. Somehow we expect them to play 3 on 5 and get to the QB. Gifford is okay, but without Ferguson on the other side that LB has been non existent the last few weeks. The athletes are for sure lacking on defense and it shows. In time Taylor, Tannor, Daniels and Jones will be upgrades. I don't care about Riley anymore. He left us with a flat out mediocre team. He took over a 9 win team, not a down spiraled 4 win team with all the 'top' recruits bailing. 

We beat:

Arkansas St

Rutgers

Illinois

Purdue

I hate losing more than anyone trust me, but this team isn't quite as bad as our 0-6 record shows. I still have no worry we will look completely different even next season. Doesn't mean we will win the B10, but we for sure will make people settle down as a fan base. It's going to take time for us to get Frost kids in and let them get experience, weight room etc. Going to be a complete over haul. 

• Plus1 3
12 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am a big believer in looking at data when looking at bringing in new members of the coaching staff. When Diaco was hired in early 2017 I was pretty critical of the hire as the data did not paint a good picture of his track record outside of one standout season at Notre Dame in 2012. I was also skeptical of Frost's selection of Chinander given what the data showed, but I was willing to give Chinander the benefit of the doubt. In my mind having a dominant defense is more important to becoming a championship team than having a stellar offense. Here is a quick look at where the last 5 national champions finished in Team Defense.

2017-Alabama finished 1st

2016-Clemson finished 15th

2015-Alabama finished 3rd

2014-Ohio State finished 29th

2013-Florida State finished 7th

Now here are the finishes as an assistant in D1 football.

2010-Oregon finished 36th

2011-Oregon finished 96th

2012-Oregon finished 50th

2013-Went to NFL for one season

2014-Oregon finished 102nd

2015-Oregon finished 115th

2016-UCF finished 46th

2017-UCF finished 91st

2018-Nebraska is 70th

So the defensive philosophy Chin learned under at Oregon had one top 40 finish but spent most seasons in the bottom half of D1 defenses. His 3 seasons as a DC at UCF and Nebraska put him around 70th in D1.

I understand Frost has a long history with Chinander, but I think he needs to take a step back and assess whether his defensive background is what is needed to get Nebraska back to competing for championships.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalYards

Well. This is why you look at more than the numbers.

The Nebraska defense by design, is similar to how Oregon was designed. And that isn't to necessarily always stop the opposing team, but create turnovers for an offense that is supposed to score every time it touches the ball. This style of defense is supposed to work with a no huddle offense as they recognize it is impossible to maintain a top 30 defense year in and out when the other team is always winning the TOP. The other team will gauge your defense for big yards and scores but you should win by multiple touchdowns if your offense is good. 

Obviously we aren't were we need to be yet to make this system work, but firing chins in a knee jerk reaction aint gunna fix it either. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Can’t see the defense getting much better next year.  The starters right now are underwhelming and their backups cant seem to take over their spot.  Plus we aren’t getting a lot of game changers recruited.

I think Honas with a 2nd year in the program will help a ton. Sounds like he really struggled with the playbook in the spring and fall but he still flashed a little this year despite that. Even when he knows what he’s supposed to do on any given play, it will help that much more to know what everyone else is supposed to do and that should get better and better as long as he fully heals. I really like the potential of Barry/Honas for 2019.

Our DLine should be a little better and deeper. We lose Mick, which sucks but we are already playing without him. We also lose Freedom but I’m not sure how big of a loss that is. Damion Daniels has flashed a little, he just needs to get in better game shape. But he’s shown some incredible power and ability this year. Sounds like Casey Rogers and Tate Wildeman were pushing for some possible 4 game PT but sustained some injuries. We really need at least one of them to step up next year.

I honestly don’t know what to expect from our 2019 DBs but I hope that one more year of good coaching helps them. Sorry for the long post, I do agree with your general sentiment but I think there’s some good potential. We might need to dip into the juco/grad transfer market again in a spot or two though. We will also have to see how hard attrition hits lol. Edit - meant to plus 1 you but I’m out of them from yesterday.

• Plus1 1