A closer look at Chinander's defenses...by the numbers

17 hours ago, TheSker said:

I'm not concerned about you giving me an "out", but thank you.

And the reason you're "pretty sure".....which you've mentioned twice....is because you're not sure.

The job that was done at UCF validated their ability to do what needs done at Nebraska.

Mike Riley was, and is, a bad college football head coach.

AND we need more talent than we currently have.

To the bolded, they met that criteria offensively, but probably not defensively. 

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Frost is probably "validated" as an offensive mind and developer of offensive talent in my opinion. I believe that Mario Verduzco is also validated as a quarterbacks coach.

But probably at least 50% of the rest of his staff - especially Chinander - are not, in my opinion. 

I agree he defensive staff is not validated and still is in question. The 2017 UCF team gave up significant points and yards against the 4 ranked teams they played, and so far in 2018 we are not seeing any signs of improvement since the Colorado game on the defensive side. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree he defensive staff is not validated and still is in question. The 2017 UCF team gave up significant points and yards against the 4 ranked teams they played, and so far in 2018 we are not seeing any signs of improvement since the Colorado game on the defensive side. 

Agree. Year 1 is not the time to make a change in my mind. But you can only ride the coat tails of the 2017 season in a G5 conference for so long.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, TheSker said:

An undefeated season is validation.

That's fair.

I do think that yards per game allowed is a pretty objective indicator of where a defense lands. Of course on the other hand, part of what helps form that stat is talent, not just coaching. So we're squarely in a "wait and see" situation here on defense, because there's probably a half dozen guys on the starting 11 on defense that aren't good enough to elevate this team to a place where we can even win our division.

My current qualm though is...it seems like those same half dozen guys should be good enough to not constantly give up 500ish yards per game. 

We'll see if the situation improves in all facets next year on defense. If it does, I think Chinander gets a good chunk of the credit. But if it doesn't, he absolutely deserves a good chunk of the blame.

10 minutes ago, Undone said:

That's fair.

I do think that yards per game allowed is a pretty objective indicator of where a defense lands. Of course on the other hand, part of what helps form that stat is talent, not just coaching. So we're squarely in a "wait and see" situation here on defense, because there's probably a half dozen guys on the starting 11 on defense that aren't good enough to elevate this team to a place where we can even win our division.

My current qualm though is...it seems like those same half dozen guys should be good enough to not constantly give up 500ish yards per game. 

We'll see if the situation improves in all facets next year on defense. If it does, I think Chinander gets a good chunk of the credit. But if it doesn't, he absolutely deserves a good chunk of the blame.

I don't know last seasons defensive YPG stats, but especially the second half of the season, mostly these same defensive players gave up points like a pinball machine to the likes of Ohio State, Penn State.....and even Minnesota.

I don't give it much thought anyway as Chinander is not likely going anywhere.

Frost coaches at Nebraska where one of his mentors stops by frequently.  And we know what that mentor believes about retaining assistants and staff consistency.

Chinander needs what every other DC needs......ball hawks with speed.

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Chinander needs what every other DC needs......ball hawks with speed.

And since we don't have any of those on the current starting 11 that are not graduating this year, this could be a bit of a painful and longer-than-expected process to get this team to where we can even win the West.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

And since we don't have any of those on the current starting 11 that are not graduating this year, this could be a bit of a painful and longer-than-expected process to get this team to where we can even win the West.

True.

But I think it's also why Frost keeps mentioning recruiting in every post game presser.

23 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I'm just not sure the bolded is possible especially in the near term.  There are 14 teams in the B1G.   

I just did a quick glance, but among the B1G teams that had 8 or more 1st or 2nd team all conference players included Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan.

It looks like Frost had 13 at UCF last season.

• Plus1 1

This staff has produced one winning season out of 3.  I'm hopeful, however not nearly as generous as some to say they've validated anything based on the evidence in front of us.

As a reminder Gene Chizik, like Frost, went undefeated in his second season, although he did it in what many claim is the strongest power 5 conference, and then capped that undefeated regulars season off with a national championship victory.  Clearly looking back that one great season was in no way a validation of his coaching, and he also didn't have a losing season in his first three.  Now we're talking about validating coaches who have 2 losing seasons in their first three years and are winless as power 5 coaches?

The only thing that is validated at this point is SF has blind support which I hope he can leverage into a major turnaround.    

• Fire 1
On 10/15/2018 at 4:20 PM, Undone said:

What is the point that you think you're making with that statement? Please expand on how that makes sense in your mind and why you think it's noteworthy.

Each team is playing football for 60 minutes. Our defense gave up 487 yards. We sucked on defense. 31 points of offense should be enough to win a football game.

Well our defense didn’t give up a fumble touchdown.  That was ol Hot Dog back there at QB doing #justmartinezthings 

So they didn’t give up 31, also yards don’t mean anything.  Example 2018 Nebraska Offense 

3 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

This staff has produced one winning season out of 3.

eyeroll.png

Context is important. 

3 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Well our defense didn’t give up a fumble touchdown.  That was ol Hot Dog back there at QB doing #justmartinezthings 

What in the heck are you talking about?

He had an unblocked defender on his blindside.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

This staff has produced one winning season out of 3.  I'm hopeful, however not nearly as generous as some to say they've validated anything based on the evidence in front of us.

As a reminder Gene Chizik, like Frost, went undefeated in his second season, although he did it in what many claim is the strongest power 5 conference, and then capped that undefeated regulars season off with a national championship victory.  Clearly looking back that one great season was in no way a validation of his coaching, and he also didn't have a losing season in his first three.  Now we're talking about validating coaches who have 2 losing seasons in their first three years and are winless as power 5 coaches?

The only thing that is validated at this point is SF has blind support which I hope he can leverage into a major turnaround.    

2 of frosts 3 years are a year 1 taking over a dumpster fire of a team. 1 team was 0-12 and the other 4-8 before he got there. He only has one season where his culture was in place and he went undefeated 

• Plus1 1