Officiating Bias Against Frost?

Besides that year we went to the Big Ten title game and got womped by Wisconsin, I would venture to guess Maryland has done more things in the Big Ten than Nebraska. I don't see why anyone would dislike us in this conference. Furthermore, Nebraska being good and relevant is great for the conference, so if there is conspiracy theories it would be the conference helping Nebraska. Nebraska has the brand name, the fan base, tradition, everything you'd want to promote them on TV and bowls. 

38 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah I'm sure the big10 is telling officials to favor the huge money making powerhouse northwestern over Nebraska.

I am not propagating this theory but the motive would be playoffs not that the big 10 really wants to dump Nebraska but that we lost our noncon games and the big needs teams that do better in noncon to be the better teams in conference to game the Strenght of Schedule and ensure they aren’t seen as a laughing stock ( which happened back when we first joined). This matters more now with the committee and the playoff selections.  You don’t want to get stuck in that spot of being perceived as a lesser conference, getting left out of the playoff, and losing recruits bc of perceived weakness.

38 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah I'm sure the big10 is telling officials to favor the huge money making powerhouse northwestern over Nebraska.

I think you missed the point,  the penalties called in the Big Ten are not being called in the other conferences.  When you have such a vast difference in the number of calls on one side as as apposed to the other it make you wonder what the -- -- is going on.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, Whs from cb said:

I think you missed the point,  the penalties called in the Big Ten are not being called in the other conferences.  When you have such a vast difference in the number of calls on one side as as apposed to the other it make you wonder what the -- -- is going on.

Yeah i got that i should have highlighted the part where you said "It sure seems like the flags come out when the game is on the line and a team from the old big ten needs to score or a team needs to stop a team from scoring.

There is officiating bias against Nebraska, because we play slow.  When you play fast, some moves look more natural, don't stand out.  

Also, I was thinking Boxing should have targeting with ejection too.  You know: Sorry Bud Crawford, that hook to Benevidez's skull was a little too hard.  So SORRY FOLKS, match is over!  Go home and raise your kids better!

5 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

There is officiating bias against Nebraska, because we play slow.  When you play fast, some moves look more natural, don't stand out.  

Also, I was thinking Boxing should have targeting with ejection too.  You know: Sorry Bud Crawford, that hook to Benevidez's skull was a little too hard.  So SORRY FOLKS, match is over!  Go home and raise your kids better!

After the Wisconsin game on husker hangover they were talking about all the holding calls against Nebraska and not Wisconsin. They said its how Nebraska holds is why it gets called so often Nebraska grabs outside the shoulders and Wisconsin's lineman grab inside.  

Nebraska is very sloppy and it makes it very obvious to call penalties on them.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

After the Wisconsin game on husker hangover they were talking about all the holding calls against Nebraska and not Wisconsin. They said its how Nebraska holds is why it gets called so often Nebraska grabs outside the shoulders and Wisconsin's lineman grab inside.  

I've been trying to tell our fanbase this but they don't understand 

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Every team holds....we just do it poorly. Like you mentioned and takling heads agree, the refs won't call holding if the hands are inside the pads......

• Plus1 1

Here is what I know and have seen play out in every game this year:

1. Nebraska gets flagged disproportionately compared to who ever our opponent is.

2. Nebraska DBs get called for pass interference at a much higher percentage than probably any other team in the BIG.  For example, last night during the Michigan v Wisconsin game, I saw DBs for both schools doing exactly what Nebraska DBs do...one hand on WRs back and the other trying to swat the ball away and no call.

3. I see DBs and WRs from every other school jostling each other and there is usually no pass interference called.

4. I see "late" hits on QBs from every defense in every game and most are no calls.

Is Nebraska sloppy and undisciplined?  Yes.

Is there a conspiracy against Nebraska?  I can't say yes, but I can't say no either.  It just seems odd that Nebraska gets a lot of penalties from things that other teams get away with.

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
21 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

I've been trying to tell our fanbase this but they don't understand 

That’s fine for the plays where it’s not our guy getting outright tackled or held from behind when he’s beat.  Watching the Wisconsin Michigan game last night was interesting.  Refs weren’t calling much of anything in terms of holding and. PI on either team, and I saw lots of hits that I was expecting late hit/targetting calls and nothing.  

• Plus1 1

I don't think it has to do with Scott Frost specifically, but when a team gets a rep for getting a lot of penalties, they get more ticky tacky calls that go against them that they might not otherwise get.  Refs talk to each other and bias forms.  I don't think there is anything we can do about it this year.  We need to just play better so the refs can't play a major factor in the games.

• Plus1 1

Besides the network telling the refs to keep the game close to keep people watching, I have no idea why they would care if we win or lose. If I was coaching I'd have a system of calling plays and communicating with upstairs that can't be monitored by outsiders. The comments about not doing stupid things on a routine basis are also relevant.....don't make it easy to throw a flag at you every play because that appears to be what they may be trying to do. But none of this explains why the same calls like hands to the face don't go against the other team.

19 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Here is what I know and have seen play out in every game this year:

1. Nebraska gets flagged disproportionately compared to who ever our opponent is.

2. Nebraska DBs get called for pass interference at a much higher percentage than probably any other team in the BIG.  For example, last night during the Michigan v Wisconsin game, I saw DBs for both schools doing exactly what Nebraska DBs do...one hand on WRs back and the other trying to swat the ball away and no call.

3. I see DBs and WRs from every other school jostling each other and there is usually no pass interference called.

4. I see "late" hits on QBs from every defense in every game and most are no calls.

Is Nebraska sloppy and undisciplined?  Yes.

Is there a conspiracy against Nebraska?  I can't say yes, but I can't say no either.  It just seems odd that Nebraska gets a lot of penalties from things things that other teams get away with.

It's possible that we came out overly aggressive and they're trying to teach Frost a lesson about coaching that style of football. That could explain why they were so excited about the hiring of Mike Riley and the implementation of his 20 yard cushion patty cake defense? Frost has been quoted telling players to be violent.