Officiating Bias Against Frost?

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Based off what evidence?

Also, what boosts ratings more - a good Nebraska team, or an 0-6 Nebraska team?

The last thing that the Big Ten teams want is Nebraska arising from the dead and becoming a real threat to win games every year.  Nobody in the Big Ten wants to play a Nebraska team that is as good or better than Wisconsin,  Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, etc.   If Frost, the hottest coach hire in the country, is successful in resurrecting Husker football, then every other program in the conference is threatened.   The Big Ten wanted NU when we were NOT perceived to be a real challenger to the conference elites but did bring with it a strong national brand and big fan base and following to help the lessers sell lots of tickets etc.  The Big Ten wanted Nebraska's image and fan appeal but without the real power. They wouldn't have wanted us in 1997 I am quite sure.  So Yes, there are plenty of reasons or motivations for the Big Ten powers that be to manipulate things to keep Nebraska down.   I feel the home and away schedule we've faced since we joined is strong evidence that the other members want every advantage over us that they can get.

Right now, the have us exactly where they want us in my view.   We bought half the tickets to Northwestern's 'home coming' game for pete's sake.   That is great.  Nationally, we have lots of fans who will tune in to see the Huskers but wouldn't have cared if NW were playing Rutgers.  Once the 'splash' of the Frost hire has dissipated, then it will benefit the Big Ten to have the Huskers make a few small waves now and then but don't bet on any titles anytime soon if the Ohio States, Michigans, Wiscy and PSU insiders have any say in it.   Conspiracy theory:   maybe but with literally billions of dollars at stake, for the conference elites, it seems unlikely they will leave anything to chance.   We left the Big 12 because UT was 'fixing' things to their advantage.   

As for bowl slots, the Big Ten is guaranteed so many and it matters little whether NU gets one as one of the other teams will gladly participate.  It seems quite logical to me that the Big Ten will be quite pleased to keep the Huskers in the middle or back of the pack when it comes to football championships.  I am sure it grinds on the Big Ten that we might keep Penn State and Wiscy and Minne from owning the volleyball titles but having NU keeping women's VB in the national spotlight is quite helpful.     

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lo country said:

This might be the most brutally honest statement I have seen posted on this board since this season started.  Oh, and it hurts.  Like a kick in the nuts.

It's been that way for years.  I don't think the folks in Nebraska realize how irrelevent they are to college football fans outside the midwest.  During the glory years, people would see my Nebraska shirt or sweatshirt and talk about how good the team was.  When things got leaner, I'd hear about what a lunatic Pelini was on the sidelines.  After Bo, I got a few questions regarding Riley (because he's from here.)  Now, I don't even get a look.  Ducks' fans think of their program as a traditional power and Nebraska as ancient.  It's been a long time since 1997.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The last thing that the Big Ten teams want is Nebraska arising from the dead and becoming a real threat to win games every year.  Nobody in the Big Ten wants to play a Nebraska team that is as good or better than Wisconsin,  Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, etc.   If Frost, the hottest coach hire in the country, is successful in resurrecting Husker football, then every other program in the conference is threatened.   The Big Ten wanted NU when we were NOT perceived to be a real challenger to the conference elites but did bring with it a strong national brand and big fan base and following to help the lessers sell lots of tickets etc.  The Big Ten wanted Nebraska's image and fan appeal but without the real power. They wouldn't have wanted us in 1997 I am quite sure.  So Yes, there are plenty of reasons or motivations for the Big Ten powers that be to manipulate things to keep Nebraska down.   I feel the home and away schedule we've faced since we joined is strong evidence that the other members want every advantage over us that they can get.

Right now, the have us exactly where they want us in my view.   We bought half the tickets to Northwestern's 'home coming' game for pete's sake.   That is great.  Nationally, we have lots of fans who will tune in to see the Huskers but wouldn't have cared if NW were playing Rutgers.  Once the 'splash' of the Frost hire has dissipated, then it will benefit the Big Ten to have the Huskers make a few small waves now and then but don't bet on any titles anytime soon if the Ohio States, Michigans, Wiscy and PSU insiders have any say in it.   Conspiracy theory:   maybe but with literally billions of dollars at stake, for the conference elites, it seems unlikely they will leave anything to chance.   We left the Big 12 because UT was 'fixing' things to their advantage.   

As for bowl slots, the Big Ten is guaranteed so many and it matters little whether NU gets one as one of the other teams will gladly participate.  It seems quite logical to me that the Big Ten will be quite pleased to keep the Huskers in the middle or back of the pack when it comes to football championships.  I am sure it grinds on the Big Ten that we might keep Penn State and Wiscy and Minne from owning the volleyball titles but having NU keeping women's VB in the national spotlight is quite helpful.     

Lol, that is Alex Jones level nonsense without the gay frogs

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

And I used to think everyone played by the rules and cheaters never win, then I turned 13.

To keep us down.  The refs in the game today probably went to the schools we were beating 56-0 back in the day.  People can, and do, hold grudges for a lifetime. 

I used to be an Olympic grudge holder.  As I've aged, things have changed.  As people age, grudges become less important.  

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, shyndy said:

I am not agreeing with him but I also think the notion of “job on the line” is ridiculous.  That’s the real problem Refs don’t seem to be held accountable for much.  Think of the worst officiating errors you have ever seen and what were the consequences?  First off, there shouldn’t be conference officials.  Secondly, it should be something that is highly scrutinized by a third party.

I'm sure there is some sort of performance evaluation fir refs. And if that ref was making outrageous incorrect calls just to screw over Nebraska because their a mizzou grad I'm sure there would be consequences.

I agree with everything else you said.

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

You're just trolling now right? So now the refs are alumni of school Nebraska used to beat up 20+ years ago and they are willing to put their jobs as refs on the line to screw over Nebraska. That is ridiculous.

Their job on the line?  Now that is ridiculous.  As another poster stated, how many times have referees been held accountable or had to answer for poor officiating?  Zero as far as I can recall.  Coaches and players are forbidden from even criticizing officials.  And that isn't right.  If you are an official and you make a call that is questionable you should have to sit in front of reporters and answer questions--even hostile ones.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

This is pretty silly. We suck because we suck. The idea that there is some crazy conspiracy involving the officials to keep us from competing is pretty crazy.

We get penalized a lot because we have too many stupid players, play undisciplined football, and make too many dumb mistakes. We have a long and well-deserved reputation for that now, so it’s easy for other teams to exploit...and the refs know to watch for it.

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Their job on the line?  Now that is ridiculous.  As another poster stated, how many times have referees been held accountable or had to answer for poor officiating?  Zero as far as I can recall.  Coaches and players are forbidden from even criticizing officials.  And that isn't right.  If you are an official and you make a call that is questionable you should have to sit in front of reporters and answer questions--even hostile ones.  

Officiating crews can and have been sidelined for poor performance and I'm sure some have been fired as well.

You're being hysterical if you believe in this dumb conspiracy crap.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Officiating crews can and have been sidelined for poor performance and I'm sure some have been fired as well.

You're being hysterical if you believe in this dumb conspiracy crap.

I didn't say I believe the conspiracy talk, but I also don't dismiss it instantly as impossible.  

And as far as being hysterical, have you read any of the official game threads and the utter "we suck" hysteria going on there?  Read those threads and tell me there isn't hysterical over-reactions going on.  It's practically in meltdown mode every week.  Just saying.

10 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I didn't say I believe the conspiracy talk, but I also don't dismiss it instantly as impossible.  

And as far as being hysterical, have you read any of the official game threads and the utter "we suck" hysteria going on there?  Read those threads and tell me there isn't hysterical over-reactions going on.  It's practically in meltdown mode every week.  Just saying.

True

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Their job on the line?  Now that is ridiculous.  As another poster stated, how many times have referees been held accountable or had to answer for poor officiating?  Zero as far as I can recall. 

Well, that's just on your poor ability to recall, because it happens plenty.

All y'all seriously entertaining conspiracy theories are nuts, and even if you weren't, we'd be allowing that to happen. We hold all the time. We have false starts way too often. Our DB's rarely look back for the ball. The refs didn't help Colorado's clutch receiver catch that late touchdown. The refs could have thrown a flag on Martinez' injury but it wouldn't have stopped him from being injured. Refs didn't make us miss a crucial PAT and field goal and then botch the snap on 4th and 1 in overtime. They didn't cause Bunch to throw an interception on our last drive against Troy. Didn't cause Jonathan Taylor's 88 yard dagger in the 4th. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

Nebraska has the reputation for being a sloppy undisciplined team.  Because of that they never get the benefit of the doubt.  They get 2-3 penalties a game that are on the ticky tack end of it.  Nebraska earns 80% of their penalties the other 20% are borderline calls that get called because they are sloppy.  

Northwestern has the reputation of being a disciplined football team.  Because of this they always get the benefit of the doubt. The ticky tack calls that Nebraska gets called for they don't.  They get a little more leeway in the secondary.  They get a little more leeway in the O-line. 

It is not a conspiracy it is just that both teams have earned what they have over time.  

With that said, Northwestern dropped back and threw the ball 64 times in that game.  To not get called for at least 1 holding call in that time is almost impossible. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Nebraska has the reputation for being a sloppy undisciplined team.  Because of that they never get the benefit of the doubt.  They get 2-3 penalties a game that are on the ticky tack end of it.  Nebraska earns 80% of their penalties the other 20% are borderline calls that get called because they are sloppy.  

Northwestern has the reputation of being a disciplined football team.  Because of this they always get the benefit of the doubt. The ticky tack calls that Nebraska gets called for they don't.  They get a little more leeway in the secondary.  They get a little more leeway in the O-line. 

It is not a conspiracy it is just that both teams have earned what they have over time.  

With that said, Northwestern dropped back and threw the ball 64 times in that game.  To not get called for at least 1 holding call in that time is almost impossible. 

If officials are slanting a game based on past reputations, then they should not be officials.  That is completely unacceptabble.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

If officials are slanting a game based on past reputations, then they should not be officials.  That is completely unacceptabble.

It is just human nature.  Nebraska earned pretty much all of their penalties on Saturday.  One of the PI on a crossing route was very ticky tack.  I thought it was a good play, but Nebraska's defender had his hand on the WR hip, so technically it is pass interference, but it is only called some of the time.  

The roughing in the end zone was pretty iffy.  

• Plus1 1