Officiating Bias Against Frost?

2 minutes ago, NUinID said:

It is just human nature.  Nebraska earned pretty much all of their penalties on Saturday.  One of the PI on a crossing route was very ticky tack.  I thought it was a good play, but Nebraska's defender had his hand on the WR hip, so technically it is pass interference, but it is only called some of the time.  

The roughing in the end zone was pretty iffy.  

I hate to "read in" too much on what you're saying, but it's almost like you are seeing the penalty disparity Saturday justifiable due to past "reputations" that the teams have supposedly earned.  

Serious question:  Were you at the game Saturday?  The reason I'm asking, is because I understand there is a difference in being able to see TV replays vs. seeing it up close and live, but not being able to see the replays.  I was at the game and was close to the field and without replay, its tough to determine the legitimacy of pass interference calls, etc.  What I did see was NW holding our D-line and rushers multiple times throughout the game without it ever being flagged and it pissed me off to no end.  

• Plus1 1

I'm going to go back to the point that I have made several times in the reffing thread. I have no problem with Nebraska being called for penalties, even the ticky tack ones, as long as the other team is being held to the same standard. Throughout the season, starting with the Colorado game in which the PAC 10 Ref actually congratulated a Colorado player after a TD, and through the BIG10 slate, the refs have been calling Nebraska for penalties and letting the other team get away repeatedly with the exact same fouls. To me, it's not the penalties Nebraska is getting called for that is so infuriating. It's the calls that aren't called against the other team that shows clear bias. For each of theses categories, Nebraska seems to be held to a higher standard by the refs: Holding (both offensive and defensive), PI, Roughing the passer, and unnecessary roughness, late hits, targeting, and other personal fouls. It is egregious and obvious. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I hate to "read in" too much on what you're saying, but it's almost like you are seeing the penalty disparity Saturday justifiable due to past "reputations" that the teams have supposedly earned.  

Serious question:  Were you at the game Saturday?  The reason I'm asking, is because I understand there is a difference in being able to see TV replays vs. seeing it up close and live, but not being able to see the replays.  I was at the game and was close to the field and without replay, its tough to determine the legitimacy of pass interference calls, etc.  What I did see was NW holding our D-line and rushers multiple times throughout the game without it ever being flagged and it pissed me off to no end.  

No I wasn't at the game.  I am not justifying the penalties.  Nebraska gets a lot of penalties and pretty much earns all of them.  I am just saying that because they are a highly penalized team the 2-3 calls that most would consider borderline get called.  

Yes on initial viewing a thought a lot of the PI calls were bad calls.  They did look closer on replay.  When the ball is under thrown like on a couple of the PI there is not much the DB can do when the receiver is coming back for the ball.  They are impeding him getting back to the ball.   The one I described on the crossing route was very iffy.  

Yes there was a lot of holding that could have been called on NW offensive linemen.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, NUinID said:

It is just human nature.  Nebraska earned pretty much all of their penalties on Saturday.  One of the PI on a crossing route was very ticky tack.  I thought it was a good play, but Nebraska's defender had his hand on the WR hip, so technically it is pass interference, but it is only called some of the time.  

The roughing in the end zone was pretty iffy.  

What about the hit on Martinez when he slid. That was an obvious call that we didn't get, and yet the NW QB is protected from a slap on the shoulder.

5 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

What about the hit on Martinez when he slid. That was an obvious call that we didn't get, and yet the NW QB is protected from a slap on the shoulder.

yeah that should have been called.  But they didn't call Mo Barry when he spiked Thorson in the knee on a slide either.  

13 minutes ago, NUinID said:

yeah that should have been called.  But they didn't call Mo Barry when he spiked Thorson in the knee on a slide either.  

Completely different. Barry was avoiding contact, and his foot accidentally came into contact with Thorson's knee. There was no kicking or stomping involved. His foot simply slid into Thorson while he was doing his best to avoid hitting Thorson.

Witnessing that game in person Saturday, I am 100% convinced that there was a real effort by the officials to side with NW on penalty calls.  Now, I don't believe the BIG hates Nebraska or refs hold grudges and I am not some crazy conspiracy theorist.  I do, however, have eyes and what they saw was atrocious.  I'm getting annoyed with people chalking it ALL up to bad coaching, dumb or undisciplined players, etc. Sure, there was some of that, but its not that NW is just some perfectly disciplined team and we just suck.  It's hard to overcome biased officiating, I don't care who you are.  As to what was the driving factor behind the officiating I witnessed?  I don't know, but I have my theories.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Completely different. Barry was avoiding contact, and his foot accidentally came into contact with Thorson's knee. There was no kicking or stomping involved. His foot simply slid into Thorson while he was doing his best to avoid hitting Thorson.

I agree, I am just saying that would probably be the officials argument against the call on Martinez.   Heck if you want to get real technical they might have been able to call targeting on the fumble by Martinez on the scoop and score.  He got rocked pretty hard on that one.  

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

I was at the game and was close to the field and without replay, its tough to determine the legitimacy of pass interference calls, etc.  What I did see was NW holding our D-line and rushers multiple times throughout the game without it ever being flagged and it pissed me off to no end.  

Were you the guy behind me screaming, "THAT'S HOLDING!!!!!!!!!!" after every single play? That pissed me off to no end.

48 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Live in person I thought that was a good no call. Didn't go for the head, was already in a tackling move by time Martinez slid.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Witnessing that game in person Saturday, I am 100% convinced that there was a real effort by the officials to side with NW on penalty calls.  Now, I don't believe the BIG hates Nebraska or refs hold grudges and I am not some crazy conspiracy theorist.  I do, however, have eyes and what they saw was atrocious.  I'm getting annoyed with people chalking it ALL up to bad coaching, dumb or undisciplined players, etc. Sure, there was some of that, but its not that NW is just some perfectly disciplined team and we just suck.  It's hard to overcome biased officiating, I don't care who you are.  As to what was the driving factor behind the officiating I witnessed?  I don't know, but I have my theories.  

Good  post,  looked the same on TV

17 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

And I used to think everyone played by the rules and cheaters never win, then I turned 13.

To keep us down.  The refs in the game today probably went to the schools we were beating 56-0 back in the day.  People can, and do, hold grudges for a lifetime. 

I can attest to that. My wife is a prime example....

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

We suck and we suck bad.  But I am not naive enough to think there isn't some chicanery going on and I don't believe this is specific to just Nebraska. That would be ludicrous. However, there is too much money involved in CFB for their not to be a real opportunity for some refs to make extra $$$ and the easiest way would be by not making calls on one side or the other.

When there are 64 pass attempts and not a single hold....I'm gonna question that one.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Martinez didn't get a flag on that play because he basically ran right up to the defender and dropped right as he was about to get hit.  He didn't give the defender any time to change course.  

They were right to not throw a flag on that play.  If you're going to give yourself up, you have to do it sooner.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:54 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

What game were you watching? Our cornerbacks don't look back and play the ball so yes, our pass interferences are warranted.  I watched the Oregon-washington game and their dbs look back and play the ball.  Just because we have the N on our helmet doesn't mean we should benefit from every call.  And also, that was a roughing the passer, it's a stupid rule because of the "hit" to the head but regardless it's a rule.  If you think the refs have been extremely unbiased then 1. You may need to polish up on the rulebook or 2. You're too biased towards Nebraska and will refuse to look at the whole picture.  You realize all of frosts ucf teams were among the worst in fbs in penalties, right?

On a side note, we did get screwed against Purdue.

You’re completely wrong because it’s the timing of the calls that matter. I knew the game was rigged when they threw the flag for “bumping the quarterback” when we had them pinned on the one.

You can justify it all you want but they did it to keep the game interesting. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if it involves much more than referee calls.

In hindsight it looks to me that Pelini would’ve been justified to go out and choke the ref, then head for the booth.

People who bet are probably pissed, I don’t really care that much , I’m just not a big fan of pro wrestling.

• Plus1 1