Officiating Bias Against Frost?

Lots of people who root for Nebraska are hurt by these losses. Because of that hurt, they are angry. They lash out, and they cast blame. 

It clouds judgment, that hurt.  It makes what could be a reasonable conversation about human behavior into a mockery of the thing they love, in much the same way that a person who married someone can be the most vicious to them when they divorce. 

There are a lot of unreasonable things posted here.  There's almost zero thought that refs are human and have human responses, too. 

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Lots of people who root for Nebraska are hurt by these losses. Because of that hurt, they are angry. They lash out, and they cast blame. 

It clouds judgment, that hurt.  It makes what could be a reasonable conversation about human behavior into a mockery of the thing they love, in much the same way that a person who married someone can be the most vicious to them when they divorce. 

There are a lot of unreasonable things posted here.  There's almost zero thought that refs are human and have human responses, too. 

That’s not me, I couldn’t care less. They’re juicing the game and it’s no different than tampering with a Vegas machine. We still suck and need improvement in many areas, but that doesn’t change what they’re doing. When we get good enough to be tamper proof it’ll work out. Right now it’s like complaining about a Kansas loss.

20 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

That’s not me, I couldn’t care less. They’re juicing the game and it’s no different than tampering with a Vegas machine. We still suck and need improvement in many areas, but that doesn’t change what they’re doing. When we get good enough to be tamper proof it’ll work out. Right now it’s like complaining about a Kansas loss.

I agree. We're sloppy and we have mostly ourselves to blame. Fix us and take the game out of the refs hands and we aren't having this conversation (much - we're still Nebraska fans). 

But the fact that we're sloppy doesn't mean the refs aren't making bad calls against us, or in our opponent's favor. Both are true. And it doesn't take some tinfoil hat conspiracy to make refs make bad calls.

There's just a kind of fan hurt by this season in such a way that they will not see both as true. They are blinded by their hurt and want to only blame the team.

• Plus1 1

While I agree that the refs have been a little biased, a lot of that has to do with the fact that we are the most undisciplined team in FBS and we do commit so many dumb penalties in every game. Averaging 10+ penalties per game, some of which come at the worst time ever, does not help our reputation. So, if there is a 50/50 call, the refs tend to call it against us.

Also, Frost stating that the Big Ten will have to adjust to his scheme did not help our cause either. 

This team needs to stop giving the refs reasons to call penalties against us. This starts with us not committing dumb roughing the passer penalties when we have a team pinned at their one yard line and we are trying to win our first game. 

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I agree. We're sloppy and we have mostly ourselves to blame. Fix us and take the game out of the refs hands and we aren't having this conversation (much - we're still Nebraska fans). 

But the fact that we're sloppy doesn't mean the refs aren't making bad calls against us, or in our opponent's favor. Both are true. And it doesn't take some tinfoil hat conspiracy to make refs make bad calls.

There's just a kind of fan hurt by this season in such a way that they will not see both as true. They are blinded by their hurt and want to only blame the team.

That could be true, but I think they’re cheating on purpose and it’s not a tin foil hat conspiracy theory. Why they would cheat in such an unimportant game is still a mystery.

• Haha 1
On 10/14/2018 at 6:55 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

The last thing that the Big Ten teams want is Nebraska arising from the dead and becoming a real threat to win games every year.  Nobody in the Big Ten wants to play a Nebraska team that is as good or better than Wisconsin,  Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, etc.   If Frost, the hottest coach hire in the country, is successful in resurrecting Husker football, then every other program in the conference is threatened.   The Big Ten wanted NU when we were NOT perceived to be a real challenger to the conference elites but did bring with it a strong national brand and big fan base and following to help the lessers sell lots of tickets etc.  The Big Ten wanted Nebraska's image and fan appeal but without the real power. They wouldn't have wanted us in 1997 I am quite sure.  So Yes, there are plenty of reasons or motivations for the Big Ten powers that be to manipulate things to keep Nebraska down.   I feel the home and away schedule we've faced since we joined is strong evidence that the other members want every advantage over us that they can get.

Right now, the have us exactly where they want us in my view.   We bought half the tickets to Northwestern's 'home coming' game for pete's sake.   That is great.  Nationally, we have lots of fans who will tune in to see the Huskers but wouldn't have cared if NW were playing Rutgers.  Once the 'splash' of the Frost hire has dissipated, then it will benefit the Big Ten to have the Huskers make a few small waves now and then but don't bet on any titles anytime soon if the Ohio States, Michigans, Wiscy and PSU insiders have any say in it.   Conspiracy theory:   maybe but with literally billions of dollars at stake, for the conference elites, it seems unlikely they will leave anything to chance.   We left the Big 12 because UT was 'fixing' things to their advantage.   

As for bowl slots, the Big Ten is guaranteed so many and it matters little whether NU gets one as one of the other teams will gladly participate.  It seems quite logical to me that the Big Ten will be quite pleased to keep the Huskers in the middle or back of the pack when it comes to football championships.  I am sure it grinds on the Big Ten that we might keep Penn State and Wiscy and Minne from owning the volleyball titles but having NU keeping women's VB in the national spotlight is quite helpful.     

This is insane.

• Plus1 3
27 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Why would the refs care about that?

They are BIG TEN refs and in some way or another answer to the Big Ten conference. Watching the NW game and seeing that NW got one 5 yard penalty compared to our almost 100 yards in penalties makes you wonder if the refs are not trying to send some kind of message.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I can't even come up with an excuse as to why the B1G would want Nebraska to be bad. The B1G doesn't want to have 0-6 teams in their conference because it makes the conference look bad. They don't want one of their blue blood programs to be bad. If you haven't noticed, the B1G is about making lots of money. When Nebraska is good again, it will make the B1G more money. 

• Plus1 3