Officiating Bias Against Frost?

Just now, jaws said:

I can't even come up with an excuse as to why the B1G would want Nebraska to be bad. The B1G doesn't want to have 0-6 teams in their conference because it makes the conference look bad. They don't want one of their blue blood programs to be bad. If you haven't noticed, the B1G is about making lots of money. When Nebraska is good again, it will make the B1G more money. 

99.9% of us know that.

If there is officiating bias, it's because we're a bad team and the officials don't give us the benefit of the doubt like they might give to other teams.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Moiraine said:

99.9% of us know that.

If there is officiating bias, it's because we're a bad team and the officials don't give us the benefit of the doubt like they might give to other teams.

Just wait until the OSU game. Flags will be all over the field for both teams.

There could be officiating bias for a lot of reasons, none of which have anything to do with some conspiracy against Nebraska.

Officials are human and they have normal human traits. Some of them, maybe even whole crews, just don't like Nebraska's coaches. Or they like the other team's coaches more.

Maybe they love their conference and deep down feel like Nebraska is still not a real part of the conference.

Maybe they feel like Nebraska & Nebraska Fan is arrogant and that rubs them the wrong way. 

Maybe they feel like Nebraska places undue blame on the refs and they should clean up their own play first.

Maybe they got booed at by the fans at Memorial Stadium and they felt that was unjustified. 

There's a ton of reasons why they may call more penalties on us than we actually deserve, or fewer on our opponents. None of those reasons requires overt bias. None of them involve conspiracies.

I've heard versions of every one of those examples from fans of other teams. If those fans have those thoughts, why can't the refs?  They're humans, too.

Ask Penn State Fan if they felt like they were immediately accepted into the Big Ten when they joined 25 years ago.  Ask them how long it took for them to feel like the rest of the conference accepted them, including the refs. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is insane.

Is it insane?  I’m not saying I agree with this theory, but it’s not insane either. Some of you folks really want to believe college football is immune from this type of corruption.  Delaney has publicly said he essentially would like to cater to NCAA sports gambling.  That shows where his priorities are. But some of you insist that any thought of chicanery is insane. It’s just us poor fans with our feelings hurt looking to spread the blame anyway we can. While I have no knowledge of any specific wrongdoing by anyone, I’m not going to sit here and make excuses for the refs or otherwise believe that college football is so squeaky clean that this couldn’t happen.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And there are some teams that commit significantly fewer penalties than other teams, regardless of the officiating crew.

Why wouldn't there be? 

Clearly it's not all about penalties. Nebraska was well positioned to beat a team that only had one penalty. 

If you want to talk about money and motivation, Fox would desperately prefer the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Dodgers, or the Cubs, and baseball umpires control virtually every pitch, but there's nothing they can do to stop the Astros and Brewers from playing better and winning. 

1 minute ago, Redux said:

Honestly I think Nebraska's penalty woes this year boil down to 3 things:

1) Terrible discipline on all sides of the ball

2) The stigma of being a penalty prone team is hard to shake

3) Our uniforms and helmets stand out more compared to most teams.

I don't get #3. If that is the case, Oregon should be the most penalized team in college football. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, jaws said:

I don't get #3. If that is the case, Oregon should be the most penalized team in college football. 

Are they as piss poor disciplined?

#3 only factors in if the first two are in place.  When you're poorly disciplined, you get that stigma even if you improve.  And when you have that stigma and you have shiny white helmets colliding with typically dark uniforms, the officials are more likely to toss a flag.  It's just a theory of mine.

18 minutes ago, Redux said:

Honestly I think Nebraska's penalty woes this year boil down to 3 things:

1) Terrible discipline on all sides of the ball

2) The stigma of being a penalty prone team is hard to shake

3) Our uniforms and helmets stand out more compared to most teams.

Number 2 on your list is what I have been saying all along.  When you got the rep of being a sloppy penalty prone team the refs tend to look a little harder for penalties.  It is human nature.  

That is why Nebraska probably gets 2-3 calls a game that are borderline.  

When you are known for playing clean you get the benefit of the doubt. Northwestern plays clean, but no one plays 64 passes in 1 game no holding calls clean.

Ohio St is known as a penalty prone team also, they just are good enough to overcome the penalties.  

Officials dont go out trying to screw a certain team. While it sometimes feels like it, they are not going into a game with that mindset.

Now, during the game, I think an official catching on to patterns and guys who play a certain way through out might get the benefit of the doubt or it might go the other way.

Bo Pelini might be the slight exception to this. Officials knew what would happen if Bo disagreed with their call and they might have had a bias towards throwing a quicker flag on him for his antics but I dont think they plan on going after a team.

The reason the Huskers are near the tops in penalties is because they are undisciplined.

Yes, I was pissed with some of the calls in the Northwestern game including two pretty obvious(to the naked eye) Intentional groundings... However, if a player was in the area, I guess they were right not to call them.

I dont know how many coaching staffs we have gone through where we pull our hair that CB's dont turn their head around. You will get called for that if you make any contact. 

It is what it is. Doesnt mean i wont complain about officials during the game or think they are out to get us but when you take a step back, it is just crazy to think that.

• Plus1 1

The complete lack of holding penalties on Northwestern when it was pretty blatant they were holding VS the fact we had two DEFENSIVE holding penalties against us,  that's what really sours me on the officiating from that game.

And did he intentionally ground it?  Absolutely.  Was there a receiver in the area?  Kinda.  Did that receiver ever have a shot at either "pass" or have any clue he was throwing it?  Hell no.  It's a dumb rule and it only pisses us off because it gifted them yards on the drive that tied the game.  And best believe we would have gotten flagged on it because we are known to get flagged.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1