X's and O's

Jeremy

Far be it from me to question the only part of our team showing some life, but there are a few things I thought I would see, but haven't. I'd like to get some thoughts from you other scheme-minded posters.

Before I begin, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that Y Cross on JD's long TD catch on the first drive? If so, Martinez is the real deal. That route combo is big boy passing, used a lot in the NFL. Effective (as you can see), but not the easiest read for a QB, especially a true frosh. 

First, the triple option. I know, I know, cliche, but bear with me. They did it at Oregon, and it's basically just zone read with a pitchman. Ziggy as the initial read, and then option with Washington or JD down the sideline to 90's glory. Why not? 

Next is a quick release on the throws to JD in the flat. Have we once faked that and hit one of the blocking receivers (Morgan) downfield? NW was coming up super fast, and I don't get why we didn't hit one over the top on that. [Edit: We ran it once against Purdue, and AM hit JD for a TD.] 

Finally, mesh routes. Multiple passing  teams in the last 20 years (Texas Tech) have killed us with this play, and I don't get why we aren't running this. 10 or 11 personnel. Morgan on the  right numbers or wider, slant and go. Washington/Ziggy either picks up a blitz or hits the right flat for a check-down. Finally, Spielman in the left slot and Stoll/Woodyard on the right. They run very shallow crossing routes 3 yds downfield right at each other and 'mesh,' brushing shoulders as they pass. If the defense is in man, they keep going to the sideline, normally wide open as defenders have knocked each other off coverage. If zone, they sit down in the middle soft spots, easy pitch and catch. 

Riley ran mesh some last year and Lee completed pretty well. Morgan was also effective on the crossing routes, scoring a fairly long TD against Illinois. 

Let me know what you guys think, and other sets you'd like to see. (Below is an example of mesh, but one doesn't have to throw to the flat every time.) 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Plus1 1

The mesh routes could have helped us score 35 points against Troy when they were constantly blitzing their line backers. I was screaming for this play all day in that game; punish the constant blitzing by throwing into the vacant spaces created by the other team's blitzers.

Basically our play selection and play calling was awesome against Northwestern. Foster killed yet another drive with a hold. Our kicker missed a field goal. We scored 31 but should have had 34 or 38 up on the board. 

Frost has taken really good steps with this offense in a transition season. Foster and Farniok have really struggled, but we still put up 500 yards consistently even with those guys struggling.

• Plus1 2