Play Makers

Anyone else concerned about lack of offensive play makers? Not so much this year, because well we're 0-6, but next year?

Looking at next year we have JD, AMart and Mo. After that we're banking on guys on the roster who haven't shown jack$h!t and a bunch of recruits. Who can step up? Where the hell is Miles Jones, they preached all winter/spring he was going to make a difference day one. 

We need playmakers in a bad way. 

• Plus1 3

You're right that we haven't seen anything from anyone else.  

But I'm not yet worried that we don't have them.  It seems like right now they are mainly going with the proven guys in large part because we've needed every good play we can get, often playing from behind.  Tough to take you're best guys off the field when we've been in games like we've had so far.

And I think the other big factor is the other guys still figuring everything out enough to be trusted to be put on the field as opposed to not having good skills.  Basically more mental than physical.  But hopefully with another offseason and Spring Ball there will be several who are ready to go next year.

I think Mike Williams will show more the rest of this season - he finally had a couple nice plays yesterday.  Woodyard, Jones and Hunt are all guys who seem to be close but injuries have slowed and just aren't quite there yet.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

But I'm not yet worried that we don't have them.  It seems like right now they are mainly going with the proven guys in large part because we've needed every good play we can get, often playing from behind.  Tough to take you're best guys off the field when we've been in games like we've had so far.

And I think the other big factor is the other guys still figuring everything out enough to be trusted to be put on the field as opposed to not having good skills.  Basically more mental than physical.  But hopefully with another offseason and Spring Ball there will be several who are ready to go next year.

I think Mike Williams will show more the rest of this season - he finally had a couple nice plays yesterday.  Woodyard, Jones and Hunt are all guys who seem to be close but injuries have slowed and just aren't quite there yet.

Good point about not being able to give our key players rest and young guys reps. The offense has rarely had a lead, let alone a lead by 2 scores. It’s tough to play second and third string guys when every play and drive is important. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think there is a concern about playmakers for next year, but it can be hard for guys to come in and contribute right away.  Miles Jones has had minor injuries this fall, and that has held him back. Maybe he and other guys who are redshirting this year will get some PT in the final 4 games, while maintaining their redshirt. 

This is a good point about Miles Jones being injured and something I’ve heard some whispers about. It sounds like Frost’s policy of not really discussing minor injuries has made it seem like we aren’t as banged up as we really are. I think there are a lot of players who have missed reps and possible playing time because they’re dealing with relatively serious injuries that we just don’t hear about. I wonder about McQuitty as well.

• Plus1 1

One thing that will help the young guys next year is that the entire team will have a year of experience in the offense. This year, the coaching staff had to teach the entire roster the new offense, especially the guys projected to be at the top of the depth chart. Next year, the coaches can spend a little more time teaching the offense to the young kids, and the older players will be able to help teach the younger players, too. 

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

What's got you confident in those guys Mav? Because right now we are trotting out Reimers and Warner over them (or at least as much).

• Plus1 1

A number of good points already in this topic.   I really wonder exactly what % of the entire offense (and defense and or special teams 'schemes' for that matter) are actually in full use and available to Frost and staff to feel comfortable in the games when the outcome is 'on the line'.   I really have the feeling that we are not witnessing nearly the full blown 'system' and all the flexibility and adaptibility etc that can be utilized.   

My understanding of the Frost offense and all of its features and strengths, etc is that it is quite dependent on the ability of the players on the field to read the defenses and exercise options and improvise or select from a number of different means of attacking the defense.  If the QB and 'skilled' players arent executing the same 'play' or option in any given play in conjuction with the O line, etc. then plays are going to fail or be less successful.  It only takes one or two individuals to do the wrong things to make a given play blow up.  Defense would have similar issues presumably.  Special teams has been a hot mess in many ways, perhaps, because the amount of practice time available to really hone things and so on has been limited by necessity of spending more on the base offense and defense.  And having a revolving door of players at so many positions will compound this and we've had QBs, RBs, etc. come and go, miss for injury, etc.   Repetitions and timing are critical to making any offense go against such strong competition.  

Add to this that frankly we have not had any 'tune up' type games as it turns out almost every opponent we've played so far is probably better than most realize.   This may end up being the most difficult schedule faced by a Husker team ever when things are all said and done.  It would not be a surprise if Coach Frost and Co don't have confidence in executing at a high level with less than stellar talent under all of these circumstances.    

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Before the season, I think Frost said the offense was about 85% fully installed. That percentage has probably dropped even more given Frost’s lack of trust in the o-line, lack of depth at the skill positions, and a starting QB battling injury. Fans are wanting to see the Frost offense from UCF last year, but even if there weren’t the issues I just stated above, the offense wouldn’t be anywhere near what UCF had last year. We have seen glimpses of how good the offense can be, but the consistency isn’t there. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Absolutely. Williams and Woody will be in there. Williams has shown already that he can get open.

Great points all around.  I think that the perception of talent being there is based on recruiting, spring game and coach speak.  Not a lot accomplished yet by any skill player not named JD or Stan...The top recruited Juco back quit leaving a void for next year with the graduation of Oz.  No TE taking charge and no real QB depth behind AM......

But, next year will have guys on both sides of the ball with another year of S&C, that will hopefully have us not only surpassing our own previous records, but actually gaining on and surpassing our foes.  The D should be better with Honas and Mo inside as well as another year for Daniels in the S&C.  Hoping some of the younger guys can step up and stay healthy next year.

I really think this team will make a decent jump from another year, another recruiting class and perhaps the biggest jump will come from the staff stepping back and seeing what they can do to evolve in their methods as well.  

I’m not expecting to play for the conference, but we should be competitive across the board with fewer mistakes, miscues and general stupidity.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

What's got you confident in those guys Mav? Because right now we are trotting out Reimers and Warner over them (or at least as much).

Jones and Hunt have been slowed by injuries.  Jones was being talked about by the coaches a couple different times as he got healthy but keeps getting banged up.  I think a year of strength and conditioning will do wonders for him.  Basically the same with Hunt - he was getting some talk but not quite there yet.  Woodyard is trusted enough to get on the field - returning kicks and a few snaps on offense - so he's obviously not that far away.