Play Makers

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

Great points all around.  I think that the perception of talent being there is based on recruiting, spring game and coach speak.  Not a lot accomplished yet by any skill player not named JD or Stan...The top recruited Juco back quit leaving a void for next year with the graduation of Oz.  No TE taking charge and no real QB depth behind AM......

But, next year will have guys on both sides of the ball with another year of S&C, that will hopefully have us not only surpassing our own previous records, but actually gaining on and surpassing our foes.  The D should be better with Honas and Mo inside as well as another year for Daniels in the S&C.  Hoping some of the younger guys can step up and stay healthy next year.

I really think this team will make a decent jump from another year, another recruiting class and perhaps the biggest jump will come from the staff stepping back and seeing what they can do to evolve in their methods as well.  

I’m not expecting to play for the conference, but we should be competitive across the board with fewer mistakes, miscues and general stupidity.  

Good post. Keeping Mills on board is going to be extremely important for the RB room. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Jones and Hunt have been slowed by injuries.  Jones was being talked about by the coaches a couple different times as he got healthy but keeps getting banged up.  I think a year of strength and conditioning will do wonders for him.  Basically the same with Hunt - he was getting some talk but not quite there yet.  Woodyard is trusted enough to get on the field - returning kicks and a few snaps on offense - so he's obviously not that far away.

I meant more Williams and Woodyard. The coaches are giving/have gave them snaps, but they've yielded little or no results. Buzz from the spring keeping your confidence high? Think it's taking them longer to adjust than many thought?

JD is going to get the Stan treatment next year, teams are going to look to take him out the game. Someone (ideally multiple) are going to have to make them pay. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I meant more Williams and Woodyard. The coaches are giving/have gave them snaps, but they've yielded little or no results. Buzz from the spring keeping your confidence high? Think it's taking them longer to adjust than many thought?

JD is going to get the Stan treatment next year, teams are going to look to take him out the game. Someone (ideally multiple) are going to have to make them pay. 

Williams averaged 13.7 ypc yesterday.  Small sample size but about 50% better than JD, even though JD had the 42 yard TD.

11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

One thing that will help the young guys next year is that the entire team will have a year of experience in the offense. This year, the coaching staff had to teach the entire roster the new offense, especially the guys projected to be at the top of the depth chart. Next year, the coaches can spend a little more time teaching the offense to the young kids, and the older players will be able to help teach the younger players, too. 

Throw in the attrition.....culture change, etc. Look at Texas....

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Not neccessarily saying you are wrong. But what about 8 receptions for 102 yards between the two through 6 games inspires confidence?

Spielman is typically going to be "more open" than pretty much everybody else on the field on any given play because:

A) He's amazing.

B) Stan gets double-teamed constantly.

I think if Williams and Woodyard work hard they'll be right there. Williams has good hands and can get opened.

I think that Martinez is going to make heads spin next season. Add Washington in there - especially as a receiver because of his speed - and our offense isn't really going to miss a step over what we have this year. That is assuming our offensive line improves a bit.

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Spielman is typically going to be "more open" than pretty much everybody else on the field on any given play because:

A) He's amazing.

B) Stan gets double-teamed constantly.

I think if Williams and Woodyard work hard they'll be right there. Williams has good hands and can get opened.

I think that Martinez is going to make heads spin next season. Add Washington in there - especially as a receiver because of his speed - and our offense isn't really going to miss a step over what we have this year. That is assuming our offensive line improves a bit.

I would agree.  I'm not too concerned about the staff being able to find play makers from the players coming back next year....plus recruits.

You get Martinez, Washington Williams and Woodyard in the off season, spring practice and fall camp....along with the experience they are getting this year in the offense......they should be much more efficient at running it.

Might need to look at the grad transfer route for immediate help. Okie State had a receiver leave but he is a slot guy and I wonder if we would still take him? I think Woodyard, Williams, McQuitty, and Hunt will all be ready to go next year as well. Warner will only improve too as he gets more confidence. I am surprised we don't see McQuitty as much because he played well in the spring game and he has now just disappeared. For recruiting we need one more high school recruit with a grad transfer in my opinion. Unless one of those guys takes the next step, this is what should be done. 

Spielman is totally a "Chip Kelly" kind of guy; small and extremely fast. It will suck when he's gone.

But...we have him next season. So then Spielman will be the guy getting double-teamed. I'm not worried about not having two guys on the field at the same time that can house it on any given play. I want a quarterback that can hit guys when they're open, and we have that now, no matter what any of the naysayers might say about Martinez's throwing ability.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Spielman is totally a "Chip Kelly" kind of guy; small and extremely fast. It will suck when he's gone.

But...we have him next season. So then Spielman will be the guy getting double-teamed. I'm not worried about not having two guys on the field at the same time that can house it on any given play. I want a quarterback that can hit guys when they're open, and we have that now, no matter what any of the naysayers might say about Martinez's throwing ability.

Naysayers? Meh. I've been really pleased with how well Martinez has done so far. That piece of the puzzle is in place, and he's bound to get better as time goes on. We're blessed to have him.

13 minutes ago, khaake said:

Naysayers? Meh. I've been really pleased with how well Martinez has done so far. That piece of the puzzle is in place, and he's bound to get better as time goes on. We're blessed to have him.

Absolutely.

Yeah, there have been a few that have said that he isn't accurate enough and doesn't stay in the pocket long enough, etc. I completely disagree with those comments. For a true Freshman, this kid's potential is mind blowing.

23 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think there are some fans that QB's should make every pass 100% accurately.  It's just the way they are, and they can't handle it when a QB misses one throw.  I saw Patrick Mahomes miss a couple of wide open receivers in the first half of last night's game, so even one of the best QB's in the NFL misses passes.

3 hours ago, Vince R. said:

There are plenty of playmakers. We leave 200 + yards on the field per game because Adrian fails to see the wide open guy. That's not a dig at the kid either; its just the truth. 

This is basically what makes me chuckle about about the complains about our offense.  Yes, it could be more consistent.  Yes, Martinez has missed a few guys.

Other than the Michigan game, we are averaging 502 yards per game.  That would be #11 in the country.  If we were more consistent and Martinez wasn't missing some guys we would be where?  Averaging 600 yards per game?  More than that???  Alabama is currently leading the country at 567.

With a true freshman QB, a true freshman RB and a Sophomore WR doing a lot of the work (not trying to slight Oz, just highlighting the young guys).

19 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Anyone else concerned about lack of offensive play makers? Not so much this year, because well we're 0-6, but next year?

Looking at next year we have JD, AMart and Mo. After that we're banking on guys on the roster who haven't shown jack$h!t and a bunch of recruits. Who can step up? Where the hell is Miles Jones, they preached all winter/spring he was going to make a difference day one. 

We need playmakers in a bad way. 

:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

The sky is falling!!!!