The Three Remaining Winless Teams

knapplc

We're miserable.  What's the best thing for misery? Company!

Hey, we're mired in the worst start in the 129 year history of the program, and overall the worst losing streak since World War II, but at least we're not alone.  UCLA, San Jose State and UTEP have also failed to win a game so far.  SB Nation takes a look at all four winless teams and predicts their likelihood of getting off the schnide

The good news?  We have a better shot at winning about three more of our games than the other three have of winning even one game. 

Hooray!

EDIT - LIKE I SAID THERE ARE ONLY THREE REMAINING WINLESS TEAMS AND I KNEW THAT      

PLEASE RESPECT MY PRIVACY AT THIS DIFFICULT TIME

Nebraska

Not only are the Huskers still winless in October, Nebraska still has the heart of its conference schedule left. There are a lot of factors that play into Nebraska’s slow start, but this slow of a start certainly wasn’t expected.

1. Oct. 27: Bethune-Cookman 97 percent: OK seriously, if Nebraska somehow doesn’t pull a win off against its currently 3-3 FCS opponent (scheduled on the fly due to the Akron game getting canceled), I just won’t even know what to say. Forfeit the rest of the season? Maybe!

2. Nov. 10: vs. Illinois, 68 percent: This Illinois team hung tough against Penn State last month for three quarters and easily won at Rutgers, so we’ll see exactly where Nebraska stands in the bottom of the B1G.

3. Oct. 20: vs. Minnesota, 47 percent

UCLA

Lots of change from last season and a lack of veteran impact are partially to blame for the Bruins’ slow start under Kelly, so it’s not time to hit the panic button in LA just yet. S&P+ predicts the Bruins to finish 2-10, but it won’t be all that easy to get those two victories.

1. Oct. 20: vs. Arizona, 49 percent: Having your best chance for a win be less than 50 percent seems bleak. Luckily, at least the Wildcats have been up and down this season.

2. Nov. 24: vs. Stanford, 30 percent

UTEP

Also in a first year, with former Kansas State assistant Dana Dimel hoping to find the Miners’ first win since 2016.

1. Nov. 3: at Rice, 55 percent: The rest of UTEP’s games look really challenging outside of this matchup, so if the win doesn’t come against Rice, it might not come at all.

2. Nov. 10: vs. Middle Tennessee, 26 percent

3. Nov. 17: at Western Kentucky, 23 percent

San Jose State

The Spartans were oh so close to getting a win against Hawaii last month, but ended up falling in overtime, and they now have to go into the heart of their Mountain West schedule without a victory. The numbers aren’t too favorable, to say the least.

1. Oct. 27: vs. UNLV, 38 percent

2. Nov. 17: vs. Nevada, 28 percent

3. Oct. 13: Army 20, percent

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Most winless teams get destroyed week after week. We haven't - we're literally 3 boneheaded mistakes away from 3-3. 0-6 looks bad, but we're a lot better than the record indicates.

That may have been true at 0-4.  We're earning the losses now regardless of margin.

32 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Most winless teams get destroyed week after week. We haven't - we're literally 3 boneheaded mistakes away from 3-3. 0-6 looks bad, but we're a lot better than the record indicates.

Optimistically thinking but maybe, just maybe this is what the team needs to learn? 1 mistake can cost us a game (looking at you kick Mr. Pickering, XP would have sealed this game) which means this team needs to finish every play as if it were their last...unless you are rushing the QB then just quit half way there to avoid a penalty. 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

When you are mentioned in the same sentence as UTEP and San Jose State. You know your doing something wrong.

And to think when we hired Mike Riley we were being mentioned in the sentence as Alabama and USC who had previously drooled at the opportunity to name him head coach in years gone by.

18 minutes ago, Redux said:

That may have been true at 0-4.  We're earning the losses now regardless of margin.

I agree. I had heard things started to take hold at UCF about mid season. So I told myself before the season started I was going to be patient and expect things to flip about mid season. I am at the point now I am not giving excuses anymore. If we lose its on the staff from here on out. 

I am still 100% all in on Frost. Truly believe he is the guy and will get it turned around. But that doesnt mean I cant blame him and his staff for letting the rest of this year turn to s#!t if indeed it does. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Optimistically thinking but maybe, just maybe this is what the team needs to learn? 1 mistake can cost us a game (looking at you kick Mr. Pickering, XP would have sealed this game) which means this team needs to finish every play as if it were their last...unless you are rushing the QB then just quit half way there to avoid a penalty. 

we made up the 1 pt wt the 2 pt conversion. 

This one is on the players  (stupid penalties) and the coaches  - the alter conservative play calling  when we just need a 1st down to salt the game away, the OT going for it on 4th down was questionable but who would have thought we'd hike between the QBs legs.  Before that we had the off sides.