Just To Be Clear...

True.

Another thing that needs to be clear.  I usually don't complain about these things.  But, the production of the game on Saturday really really really sucked.

I'm not talking about the announcers that everyone seems to rag on constantly.  I'm talking about the actual production of what we saw on the TV screen.  When will producers realize that as the play is about to start, we don't need to see a close up of a player (QB).  We need to see the field and how the team is lined up.  And...how many times on Saturday did we not even get to see the play at all?

I would expect that from some third rate network that's just trying to get into showing college football....but, ABC has been doing this for how long?

• Plus1 9
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

True.

Another thing that needs to be clear.  I usually don't complain about these things.  But, the production of the game on Saturday really really really sucked.

I'm not talking about the announcers that everyone seems to rag on constantly.  I'm talking about the actual production of what we saw on the TV screen.  When will producers realize that as the play is about to start, we don't need to see a close up of a player (QB).  We need to see the field and how the team is lined up.  And...how many times on Saturday did we not even get to see the play at all?

I would expect that from some third rate network that's just trying to get into showing college football....but, ABC has been doing this for how long?

Yeah, that was some of the worst production I've seen.  They were terrible at showing replays so you could see what happened.  And I don't know how many plays they either got back to the main view right as the ball was snapped or even missed the first couple seconds.

• Plus1 1

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

True.

Completely agree. I was keen on watching personnel and alignment, and many times there was less than one second before the snap. But at least I had a great view of the announcers and their wardrobes.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Redux said:

The SEC and CBS have production figured out quite nicely, ABC should take note.

I think the big problem is that ABC/ESPN/Disney is trying to do too many games and their production suffers.  The one SEC game that CBS does on its regular network is its flagship station.  The production for games on the CBSsports channel is not nearly as good. 

2 hours ago, huskerfan92 said:

How about the commentators going on about how great Pat Fitzgerald and the facilities at Northwestern are in the 4th quarter while it was a one possession game? 

That was a super unprofessional broadcast, the Northwestern propaganda was ridiculous 

It was Northwestern's homecoming game. A little extra juice is expected. They also have some pretty incredible new facilities. 

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that was some of the worst production I've seen.  They were terrible at showing replays so you could see what happened.  And I don't know how many plays they either got back to the main view right as the ball was snapped or even missed the first couple seconds.

I think there were 3 in the first half where they cut to the action after the snap. They made some half time adjustments and didn't do it in the second half. And yes, they didn't show replays on some of the more important plays. Drives me friggin crazy.

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

True.

This has been a problem throughout the season on many ESPN/ABC games. 

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

True.

That tends to happen when there is a lack of competition. We broadcasters have noticed it as well.