Just To Be Clear...

18 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We did think it was pretty funny when Nebraska scored a touchdown in the second quarter, and they went to a Northwestern Fan Reaction Shot and found two guys passing a joint. 

Ha. I noticed that as well. My wife didn't catch it the first time around so I had to rewind to show her.

And I'll agree with the terrible production. I can't even count the times I was asking aloud "where's the replay?" They would basically miss the play originally and then wouldn't/couldn't provide any alternate camera angles. The TV coverage really sucked. I think the two guys passing the joint were the director and the guy in charge of replays.

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

I want to know why we can't see the passing routes develop as the play unfolds. We all have widescreen TVs now, but we're stuck looking at the 5 yards on either side of the LOS... You never see the safties until the ball gets to them, or a replay.

Production is set up for people who dont know football.  If it was for people who actually know football we would be watching endzone angles.  Always laugh when people brag about sitting on the fifty yard line.  Give me endzone seats any day of the week so I can see plays unfold 

38 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Production is set up for people who dont know football.  If it was for people who actually know football we would be watching endzone angles.  Always laugh when people brag about sitting on the fifty yard line.  Give me endzone seats any day of the week so I can see plays unfold 

I love the sky cams. I watch the championship games exclusively from those when it's available online. I wish they would show every punt live from the sky can too. How cool would it be to follow the ball of the foot the the returner's hands?

8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

How hard would it be to put simple sensors in the tips of the game balls, sideline markers, and endzone pylons to deliver unquestionable first down and touchdown decisions immediately?

That's not even high tech. That's Radio Shack® tech. 

Okay let's say there's sensors in the tips of the game balls.

The ball crosses the goal line. Is it a touchdown? I mean the sensors show that it crossed the line, but that doesn't really answer anything. Was it in the air? Was it a kickoff? Was it a pass? Did the receiver have possession? Was it a runner? Was he fumbling before it crossed the plane? Did someone step out of bounds first? Did they complete the process of a catch? Where was it when their knee touched down? A sensor doesn't answer any of those contextual questions. A really high tech sensor would possibly answer a few of them with decent accuracy.

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

The ball crosses the goal line. Is it a touchdown? I mean the sensors show that it crossed the line, but that doesn't really answer anything. Was it in the air? Was it a kickoff? Was it a pass? Did the receiver have possession? Was it a runner? Was he fumbling before it crossed the plane? Did someone step out of bounds first? Did they complete the process of a catch? Where was it when their knee touched down? A sensor doesn't answer any of those contextual questions. A really high tech sensor would possibly answer a few of them with decent accuracy.

A sensor could help answer some of those questions.  I'm guess if we put eight humans on the field whose job it was to help answer the rest of those questions it would work out OK.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

A sensor could help answer some of those questions.  I'm guess if we put eight humans on the field whose job it was to help answer the rest of those questions it would work out OK.

I'm doing contract work at Wilson right now I'll see if they'll give me any spare RFID chips and we can test 'em out.

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

Details, details.