I'm oddly encouraged by the winless season so far...

On 10/16/2018 at 2:17 AM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I was fine with the call. Obviously the play broke down but I think AM showed he has much to learn.  He launches it to the endzone but he had a open man right at the sticks.  Get the 1st down and try for the TD in the next set.

I saw the open guy too but he was under pressure on a 4th down in OT after getting an awful snap. I really don't think that play is a good example to use to argue he has much to learn. That's not saying I disagree that he has much to learn but the fact he got the snap at all and kept his cool enough to have a throw is impressive to me even if he was a senior in that situation.

• Plus1 1

Hayseed, I read your quote a minute ago.   "Maybe I’m stupid but while everyone prays for superstar recruits, I think a lot of Osborne’s success was due to locals getting in the game fresh and making a few big plays," you say.

Here's where your friends (especially your much older friends) are going with what they have.   And I don't have much time to digress here, sorry.  But they remember a past --- back when Nebraska relied on a WR like Irving Fryar ... or a near 5-star recruit in RB Calvin Jones ... or a fantastic JUCO steal in RB Mike Rozier.  (That 1983 Nebraska team is most incredible football team that I have ever seen to grace the grassy field anywhere!)

And your love for the walk-on's is fine too.   The TE/DE combo of Jamie Williams and Jimmy Williams is well documented in Nebraska's historic past for just incredibly talented kids that college scouts like Tom Lemming missed on.

Osborne was great at getting the most out of  home grown Nebraska talent but the thing that finally got us a championship was having that AND stud recruits like Tommy Frazier, Lawrence Phillips etc  . The mid 90s teams were a good mix of both .  I think we needed those high star recruits to win it all though   . 

As far as this year I think the work ethic, attitude , and effort have been much better this year than last . That plus developing some of the young talent we have will eventually lead to wins . They are a better team than last year and they keep fighting every week that’s the encouraging part to me. 

23 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I saw the open guy too but he was under pressure on a 4th down in OT after getting an awful snap. I really don't think that play is a good example to use to argue he has much to learn. That's not saying I disagree that he has much to learn but the fact he got the snap at all and kept his cool enough to have a throw is impressive to me even if he was a senior in that situation.

you have to admit, a typical rookie mistake gunning the ball high into the air on a busted play......throw it away, every time.

13 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

you have to admit, a typical rookie mistake gunning the ball high into the air on a busted play......throw it away, every time.

Lol why would he have thrown it away in that specific situation? Throw it away, that is laughable! You gotta try and make a play on 4th down in OT. Throwing an INT into the endzone isn't any worse than not completing a pass at that point.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1