Nebrasketball Exhibition #1: Wayne State College- Thursday, November 1 7:00 (BTN+)

What will the game result be?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska win by single digits
    • Nebraska win by double digits
    • Wayne State win by single digits
    • Wayne State win by double digits

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/01/2018 at 11:01 PM

The team's shooting was not great but we got the win. We have a lot to clean up but with that a lot of time to do it as well. Any given night you can shoot 50 plus percent and others it can be in the thirties that's just how it goes sometimes. Although, three-point shooting needs improvement if they are gonna chuck it a lot from downtown. 

Starters

I thought it looked like Palmer was trying too hard.  Copeland looked like we was rushing his three pointers but did look more athletic than last season.  Roby looked like he always does - first time I looked up at the score board to see individual stats he had 6 & 6.  Watson was good at leading the team, but was trying to prove that last year's shooting was fixed this year (it didn't look like it is).  Allen looked good - wish he would be more willing to take his shot when it's there.

Bench

Heiman looked good, but will need to get stronger when they play B1G teams.  Harris looks like he will be an energy/defense guy this season.  Nana looked less lost on the defensive end & is still crazy athletic.  Borchardt is what he is - looks a lot slimmer this season.  Thor didn't look horrible, but probably won't play much.

Walk-ons

Trueblood's made three was one of the ugliest shots I've ever seen - complete knuckle ball, but it went in.  Costello looked like he was happy to finally get some PT.  Both looked OK considering they are walk-ons.

Overall not a well played game.  Lots of room for improvement, but Miles played a lot of weird combinations.  Hopefully when the games count, the team will play with a little more intensity & Miles will stop experimenting on line ups.

• Plus1 2
48 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Starters

I thought it looked like Palmer was trying too hard.  Copeland looked like we was rushing his three pointers but did look more athletic than last season.  Roby looked like he always does - first time I looked up at the score board to see individual stats he had 6 & 6.  Watson was good at leading the team, but was trying to prove that last year's shooting was fixed this year (it didn't look like it is).  Allen looked good - wish he would be more willing to take his shot when it's there.

Bench

Heiman looked good, but will need to get stronger when they play B1G teams.  Harris looks like he will be an energy/defense guy this season.  Nana looked less lost on the defensive end & is still crazy athletic.  Borchardt is what he is - looks a lot slimmer this season.  Thor didn't look horrible, but probably won't play much.

Walk-ons

Trueblood's made three was one of the ugliest shots I've ever seen - complete knuckle ball, but it went in.  Costello looked like he was happy to finally get some PT.  Both looked OK considering they are walk-ons.

Overall not a well played game.  Lots of room for improvement, but Miles played a lot of weird combinations.  Hopefully when the games count, the team will play with a little more intensity & Miles will stop experimenting on line ups.

Thanks for the scouting report. How was the crowd? 

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

Starters

Bench

Walk-ons

So....in general, we're you encouraged or discouraged with what you saw?

Was the poor shooting just a matter of the combinations on the floor and guys needing to get in the rhythm of the season and it will improve?

There's a lot of hype around this team this year.  The shooting percentages I'm seeing in both the scrimmage and the exhibition game is disappointing.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Was the poor shooting just a matter of the combinations on the floor and guys needing to get in the rhythm of the season and it will improve?

There's a lot of hype around this team this year.  The shooting percentages I'm seeing in both the scrimmage and the exhibition game is disappointing.

This isn't directed at me but to be completely honest I am fairly nervous about this year. Seems to have all the makings of a bust year- no bench, team can't shoot, and we're 1 injury away from having to play a walk-on significant minutes. Not to mention we don't have a coach that can draw stuff up. 

If we stay healthy we should be able to out-talent a lot of the smaller teams we play in the non-conference. I'll be curious to see how we fare against the Major 7 teams we play. Especially away from home.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

A little of both.  I think a lot of it was odd combinations of players on the court.  At one point he had Borchardt, Heiman, Copeland, Harris & I forget the 5th player on the floor at the same time (might have been Trueblood).

The Good

If Roby can quietly get a double double most nights that would be great.  Hopefully Copeland was just showing some nerves starting a season on a team with expectations and his shooting stroke slows down because he showed the ability to knock down 3's at a pretty high percentage at the end of last season.  I think Heiman & Harris showed a lot of potential that could manifest itself before the end of the season.  The defense looked really good most of the time - of course it was Wayne State.  Nana is looking better on the defensive end - he lost his man a couple of times but last year he lost his man most of the time.

The Bad

Palmer needs to play the way he did last season - more driving to the hole, less chucking up 23 foot jumpers.  He probably won't pick up to quick offensive fouls early every night.  The first was a push off that he will get away with against Power 7 teams because the defender won't go flying way with a little push like they did last night.  The second he made a move to his right & back to the left, but the defender was so slow he never really reacted to the first move and ended up in the right place to draw a charge.  Watson needs to be satisfied with running the team and looking for his shot less - fewer I haven't shot for a while so it's my turn moments.  The team as a whole needs to figure out who should be taking long jump shots (Allen, Watson when he's open, Copeland) & who shouldn't (Palmer, Watson when he "creates" a shot).

I think there are just a few kinks to work out.  If they get them fixed it could be a great season, if not it could be ugly.  Hard to learn too much from a game that doesn't count against a clearly inferior team.  They have about two weeks to correct most of the issues before they play Seton Hall.

• Fire 1

I am hopeful that the reason the younger players looked good & the older one's didn't is a matter of motivation in a game that doesn't count.  Young players happy to play, older players going through the motions because it didn't matter.  At this point the season could be special, a bust or anywhere in between.