How the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy Affects Nebraska and Minnesota

per Athlon:

Four years later, the trophy’s meaning and goals have increased by leaps and bounds. Catching up with Joe Bernard, leader of media for the trophy’s crew, we were able to find out where the trophy stood in the eyes of both the schools and fans.

“The organic way that the trophy originated isn’t dissimilar to how the Little Brown Jug or the Floyd of Rosedale first came about, and while we’ve got many years to go before the Chair is equally revered, there’s definitely something about the trophy that fans connect with," Bernard said.

Bernard points out that he and the crew have witnessed some very unique support for their work. While not officially recognized by either school, how fans have embraced the trophy has allowed the The $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy Chair-ity to thrive and provide meaningful assistance along with a spirited and fan-friendly rivalry. Not only does Bernard’s group work with the Team Jack Foundation and Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital, they do so without the backing of the aforementioned university establishments.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/how-5-bits-broken-chair-trophy-affects-nebraska-football-and-minnesota-football?fbclid=IwAR135fqjrN1web4yl2XZc8m_GAk5RP1qo1vN1kiLQxyxtPI3ho9evCiQmIM

Edited by Enhance
Per Board Rules, please only post a small portion of an article with a link to the rest.
  • Plus1 3

I see how the athletic departments don't want all kinds of goofy trophies popping up over all kinds of random things happening but as stated, this one can be tied in with a real charitable event.  I don't remember how it got tied into that.  I just remember one winner got $5 and the other got to break a chair over the loser.

19 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I predict it will be recognized within the next 10 years.

I’m guessing Perlman and Eichorst convinced Minnesota to not recognize it because its origins irritated them. They’ll be a distant memory by then.

This, right here. Also, considering Frost has already mentioned Pelini in a positive light, it's just a matter of time. 

Plus, the best trophy games are the ones that happen organically, and not the ones contrived by the B1G front offices. That's exactly why there's a passion for this trophy and why people give a s***--it's a construct of the people, by the people, and for the people who watch and root for these teams. 

• Plus1 2

You know who really loved this trophy?

Sam Foltz! They really need to bring this bad boy back. 

This is by far the best trophy Nebraska plays for in the B1G. If and when Nebraska beats Wisconsin and Iowa, we’ll take home the W and they can keep those sh#tty trophies. 

On 10/16/2018 at 1:04 PM, Moiraine said:

I predict it will be recognized within the next 10 years.

I’m guessing Perlman and Eichorst convinced Minnesota to not recognize it because its origins irritated them. They’ll be a distant memory by then.

12 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

This, right here. Also, considering Frost has already mentioned Pelini in a positive light, it's just a matter of time. 

Plus, the best trophy games are the ones that happen organically, and not the ones contrived by the B1G front offices. That's exactly why there's a passion for this trophy and why people give a s***--it's a construct of the people, by the people, and for the people who watch and root for these teams. 

All very good points. But i'll take the action on within ten years. i'd wager within 5.

• Plus1 1

The Broken bits of chair is how trophies should come about. It has meaning and is fun. 

No one cares about the trophy with Iowa...

I am sure when they first came out with the Axe or the little brown jug people thought it was stupid.

I have a bunch of Gopher Alum n my family and so the Husker/Gopher rivalry is VERY real to me. I want this win badly!

And i also want that effing trophy.

• Plus1 1