What if Nebraska has TWO games canceled this year?

knapplc

Holy crap. I had no idea Bethune Cookman was in such dire financial straits. 

Bethune-Cookman University interim president: School is in 'crisis' but not closing

Bethune-Cookman University is facing “an existential threat,” the interim president said Tuesday as he vowed to correct financial problems and guide the institution back into good standing with its accrediting organization.

Hubert Grimes spoke with reporters, addressing what he described as a “crisis” stemming from myriad issues, chiefly a bad dorm deal that is expected to cost the university millions.

“Our problems reflect the culmination of years of inadequate accountability, suspect governance and, quite frankly, inexcusable management decisions,” he said.

Grimes took the helm of the Daytona Beach university in July 2017. His predecessor, Edison Jackson, retired early after a Daytona Beach News-Journal investigation found the university was suffering from growing debt and that a new dorm, originally estimated at $72.1 million, will cost $306 million over 40 years.

A news release sent to reporters from an external public relations person described the university as “on the verge of extinction.” Grimes said he disagreed with that characterization and refuted rumors the school will close.

“I don’t see that happening any time in the near future,” he said.

However, Grimes didn’t try to downplay the scope of the problems facing the university, which has an enrollment of about 4,000 students.

“We’re in the midst of a crisis that challenges every aspect of this university,” he said.

So, let's say they are "on the verge of extinction," and that extinction happens in the next ten-ish days.

We could conceivably have our second canceled game of the year.

• Plus1 1

1. They wouldn't close in the middle of the semester

2. This game would be short-term revenue to help keep the doors open.

The whole SWAC is in horrible financial standing. Does anyone remember the Grambling football expose a few years back? Consider that these are a bunch of schools that existed because African Americans couldn't go to the actual state universities. Without that unique area of need they are effectively regional state colleges that are even lower on the totem pole than the previously established regional state colleges (for white students). It's a sad situation given how much heritage and history there is to these institutions.

Side note: I visited Bethune-Cookman in college on my internship. Their football stadium had to be in the lowest tier of the FCS. It's honestly kind of embarrassing that Nebraska invited them to Lincoln, even for an emergency makeup game.

• Plus1 6
10 hours ago, mrandyk said:

1. They wouldn't close in the middle of the semester

2. This game would be short-term revenue to help keep the doors open.

The whole SWAC is in horrible financial standing. Does anyone remember the Grambling football expose a few years back? Consider that these are a bunch of schools that existed because African Americans couldn't go to the actual state universities. Without that unique area of need they are effectively regional state colleges that are even lower on the totem pole than the previously established regional state colleges (for white students). It's a sad situation given how much heritage and history there is to these institutions.

Side note: I visited Bethune-Cookman in college on my internship. Their football stadium had to be in the lowest tier of the FCS. It's honestly kind of embarrassing that Nebraska invited them to Lincoln, even for an emergency makeup game.

Spot On